2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1169517 03/26/09 11:52 PM
D
OP Offline
D
I have a student in 7th grade who has a strong personality and will. At our last recital in December she performed a simple arrangement of "Ukranian Bell Carol". We had carefully annalyzed the dynamic markings, and had practiced making the final "gong" of the bells sounds very soft, as was indicated in the music. She told me she felt like playing the very last part louder, with an accent, which completely changes the mood. I told her that when she's at home she's free to play it however she likes, but for the recital I asked her to play what we've prepared, according to the musical direction. She seemed to comply. However for the recital she performed her loud version of the ending. I didn't mind her version necessarily - I was just not happy that she had gone against what we had prepared together. But I didn't mention anything to her at her next lesson. I figured that since there are so many versions and arrangements of Ukranian Bell Carol, she wasn't going to offend any big-name composer...

So now we're preparing for the spring recital. She's working on a simple 2-page Tarantella, which she has almost up to performance tempo. A couple weeks ago in lesson she told me she had a great idea: to play the first phrase of the melody, RH alone, very softly and slowly, ritarding into a fermata, and then come in full force, hands together, at performance tempo, in repetition of the opening. I listened to her rendition, smiled and gave her "creative" points, but told her I wasn't about to let her do it that way for the recital. She was shocked. I told her that when she composes or arranges a piece, she's free to do whatever she feels, but because this piece has a composer name attatched, she is bound to his notes and musical ideas.

I have a feeling, though, that because she got away with her own way at the December recital, that she's scheeming a simular scandal for this one. Once a student begins to perform in the recital, I have no control over what they do. I'm not going to stop them or correct anything. I don't want to be a control freak, but what should I do to help this student refrain from embarassing herself and me?

Full-time, independent piano instructor; church musician
MTNA, ISMTA, working towards NCTM!
B
B
I would now bring up last year's problem. I always bring up problems from the last recital, when the next one is around the corner, rather than spoil the afterglow of the recital immediately afterwards. Then I would explain to her that playing it the way she is suggesting is wrong. Demonstrate to her with a familiar song, how her idea doesn't work. With young children (which I know she is not) I will demonstrate with Mary Had a Little Lamb- first line slow with fermata, 2nd line fast etc. Tell her if it is not stylistically correct, it is wrong and that if she were in a competition or festival, points would be subtracted from her score for doing that.
I find talking about point deductions speaks to the students.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I would say "Great, I wish all my students were as creative." and put on the program 'Arranged by ...'.

I am not a piano teacher, but a PhD student at a univeristy of technology. Here in Sweden that includes a lot of teaching.

I actually think this is not unusual! I meet students all the time that believe it is ok to copy a part of someone elses text, and maybe rewrite it a little, without giving credit to the original author, or to use a copyrighted picture.

Consider the way Wikipedia is written, or the amount of different versions of music piece at Youtube. Teenagers simply do not understand the need to follow the original and to give credit to the creator/author/composer.

Benita Rose's suggestion is great.
Do try to explain why the student has to follow the score. Show that this is not just some idea you have, but that it is a standard in the field and that this is the way classical music is to be handled.

I really hope that you will not get a dissapointing surprise at the recital. smile

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
I agree with kbk. It seems to be quite rare nowadays to have a student who is creative and expressive and has the confidence to put their own ideas into practice. In many ways it is refreshing. Imagine being bold enough to get up and perform your own version or own composition. She really is putting herself on the line.

I think I would be very careful not to kill this enthusiasm. That's not to say you must let her play something which is innapropriate. Explain that there are many ways to be expressive within what the composer has given but at the end of the day it's not fair to change the notes or add exra bits. Encourage her to compose her own music. Perhaps then it will be easier to explain how she might feel if someone were to take her piece and change it. I'm sure she'll get the point. Give her praise for this creative side but tell her there is a time and a place for certain things. It's great to have these ideas and with experience she can put them to good use. It's also great to have the humility to remain faithful to the composer's intentions as well. Great musicians do both!

Last edited by Chris H.; 03/27/09 04:28 AM.

Pianist and piano teacher.
L
L
Well said Chris...I agree completely with your suggestions

I strongly agree with Keyboardklutz.

Don't forget that a few hundred years ago it was considered completely normal to use any 'composed' piece as a basis for whatever improvisation a performer wanted to play. The most famous composers and players 'messed around' with each others music that way.

Enjoy your creative student! And offer her some tips and guidance to improve further on her 'version' of the piece!

Ingrid

edited to add ps...

PS..I re read your original post. Really, by using terms like 'scheming' and 'scandal' you create (in my opinion) an very negative aura around something that could be so refreshing, inspiring and a great learning experience for your student!

Last edited by IngridT; 03/27/09 08:27 AM.
D
OP Offline
D
Ingrid,
I do value fresh creativity and want to encourage it. I commended this girl for what she had come up with and enjoyed listening to her share it. In fact often during lessons I take time to simply listen to the student share some improv, or some tune they've created at home. I don't want to kill this enthusiasm.

The problem issue is not her creativity, but how she sets her mind to do "her version" at the recital, rejecting what I've taught her. This is not a case of forgetting dynamics because of nerves or stage fright.

Full-time, independent piano instructor; church musician
MTNA, ISMTA, working towards NCTM!
M
M
Explain to her that since this is a recital, she is free to play her own "arrangements" of a piece, but that you'll need to know what she will do so that you can have the program marked accordingly. I have several students who are creative like this, and I don't want to not encourage that. However, I always point out that if they were playing this for a competition or for WMTA auditions, they would have to play what's on the score because they are being judged based on their adherence to the written music. That way she understands that there are times that are appropriate for her play music however she likes, and times when it's not desirable. She can then learn to discern what would work best for certain situations and tailor things to her audience.

It sounds as though you are miffed at a student not "obeying" you rather than the fact that she was being creative. Even the title of this thread "strong-willed teen" seems to say you don't like the fact that she has musical convictions enough that she will stand up for them. I say to her, bravo. Why wouldn't we want to cultivate students who have their own sense of musicality? Have her write a series of variations on the piece she is learning and discuss with her possible differences in mood, texture, and style that she could create. Perhaps have her play the original as the theme, and then she can play her variations afterward. What a treat that would be for the audience to hear!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Katie, two thoughts:

When students continue to ignore rhythm, I play a version of Happy Birthday, with the rhythm purposefully distorted almost beyond recognition. Sometimes the students cannot even recognize the tune. I ask them how they'd feel if people sang Happy Birthday that way for them. Most get it immediately, and that ends the rhythm problems or the ignoring of rhythm problems.

The smart-ass student gives the snappy comeback, and that leads to my second observation. The reason students cannot get the rhythm or dynamics or what ever is the lack of focused practice at home, and the whole "creative schtick" is to serve as a coverup for lack of preparation.

If a firm discussion about work ethics doesn't solve the problem, and it probably won't if the parents are supporting you at home, then let the student go. This is a life lesson for them. "Look, Jenny, this is the way the piece is to sound. If you want to go on a tangent, fine, but do it somewhere else. My job is to teach you the correct way. You can goof off to your heart's content at home."

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
M
M
Originally Posted by DoReMi Katie
Ingrid,
I do value fresh creativity and want to encourage it. I commended this girl for what she had come up with and enjoyed listening to her share it. In fact often during lessons I take time to simply listen to the student share some improv, or some tune they've created at home. I don't want to kill this enthusiasm.

The problem issue is not her creativity, but how she sets her mind to do "her version" at the recital, rejecting what I've taught her. This is not a case of forgetting dynamics because of nerves or stage fright.

Katie,
You had posted while I was posting my response. It sounds as though you do encourage the creative side of things. If in fact she is being defiant. Let her know that unless she agrees to play as you instruct, you will not allow her to participate in future recitals, otherwise what consequence will there be if she defies your wishes? If it is a matter of not respecting you, then something must be done to make it clear that you are the teacher here, while not going too far as to squash her "creativity". She has already gone against your wishes in the past, so she doesn't have a great track record with you. I'd let her know that and let her know how you feel. Perhaps she will agree with you and understand where you're coming from.

This reminds me of a talent show we put on at the catholic elementary school I was teaching music at (K-5). It was a family night, so family members were encouraged to participate. They woudl have to go through me for approval of what they would do just to be careful. One family, the parents are veyr musically inclined and wanted to sing a song and play guitar. When I asked them what the song was about, they told me was about someone getting drunk. I let them know that song was not appropriate content for children and that they will have to pick something else. They agreed, but when it came time to perform, they sang that song anyways. Everyone was in shock, and I was quick to notify the principal that they did this against my wishes. I wasn't there the next year, but I do hope the principal refused to let them participate again!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

As long as the student can perform it as written, and your original post indicates she can, then her creativity and interest should be encouraged, even celebrated.

A love of music, and being a musician, can come to people in many ways. However it comes it should be celebrated. We all know you have to put in the hard work to develop the necessary skills, that is not up for debate, but don't crush this spark because she "didn't do what she was told".

John,
Your words make me think back to my youth with a bit of sadness. As a young person I had a teacher (different instrument) react like you and it crushed my spirit so much I wanted to give up music all together. Thank goodness that the music teacher of the jazz band latched on to me and introduced me to a style of music and a style of playing that fit my personality. It was never a matter of work ethic because what I needed to do for the jazz band was 3 times the amount of work I needed to do for the symphonic band. Because I found something I truly enjoyed in playing music my practice time soared and I had a wonderful experience with music all through high school and college.

I'm not sure how relevant that anecdote is to this conversation, but I put it out there anyway.

------
If you knew what you were doing, you'd probably be bored.
- Fresco's Law
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Buck, I'm truly sorry my post dredged up unpleasant memories for you. However, your parents were paying the freight and they may have well had different instructions to your teacher which you were not aware of. I cannot tell you the times (hundreds, at least) when parents begged me to instill discipline in their students.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A musician needs a strong will. Having creative imagination and a voice of one's own are huge gifts that are not really given to many. AND, most people with resistant personalities learn only one way: the hard way.

If there's any way you can get her on-board with your ideas, even if it's only to the extent of a-time-and-a-place appropriate to the kind of performance, you'll both have a better time. Best of all is to get the other person to think it was their idea in the first place--- and better yet, that you were against it. But it takes an extensive end-game to make that work out. I get the impression that maybe you are stronger on authority and less so on guile... but those are your own gifts, and maybe rightly so in dealing with teenagers.

Crashing and burning on her own dime is one story, doing so on yours has consequences she may not be able to think so far ahead to be able to grasp.

Gifts can be very destructive if they are not aligned with our own best interest. Is there any hope you could convince her that your interests lie together in this case? At least it does not sound like her intentions are actually bad, and I think there is some hope that she will be able to accept some limits and guidance.

Clef

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission