Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
87 registered members (Bett, accordeur, Alex873, ando, beet31425, Beowulf, AaronSF, 16 invisible), 1,415 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Do you perform at your studio recitals? #1157957
03/05/09 04:44 PM
03/05/09 04:44 PM
Pocatello, Idaho
D
DanLaura Larson Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
DanLaura Larson  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
D

Pocatello, Idaho
I'm wondering if anyone performs at their studio recitals? Why, or why not?
Thanks!
Laura

Dan and Laura Larson
Fazioli and Ibach grands
Larson Piano Studio
http://www.stoneformsart.com/
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: DanLaura Larson] #1158036
03/05/09 06:40 PM
03/05/09 06:40 PM
Olympia, Washington, USA
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member
John v.d.Brook  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
What is the purpose of your studio recitals? To showcase your students' progress? To showcase your talents? To motivate students? To educate students & parents in piano lit? Do you play for your students in other settings? Does ISU have piano recitals you can have your students attend?

This topic has come up predictably about every 8 months and generally generates a lot of heat. If you search the archives, you will find plenty of opinion going both ways.

I personally choose not to, although there are times I am tempted.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: John v.d.Brook] #1158059
03/05/09 07:21 PM
03/05/09 07:21 PM
California
Ben S Offline
Ben S  Offline

California
I have been with a teacher for about 3 months and she has performed at all 4 of the recitals we have had in that time frame. I think it does serve to motivate, and can be fun to listen to.

Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: Ben S] #1158078
03/05/09 08:06 PM
03/05/09 08:06 PM
Puyallup, Washington
B
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Betty Patnude  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
B

Puyallup, Washington
Ben,

I'm impressed with your teacher! Four recitals in 3 months? She sounds so enthusiastic to share music with her students. I'm glad you are getting to see all of these presentation, but I'm assuming you attended and were part of the audience, if not one of the performers. Recitals - fun and motivating - what a thought!

I think it's natural to play in a piano recital with your students. I often do the accompimentst to elemenary level duets with beginners, and I have frequently added my performance to the community events we have played - this is to round out the program and filling time to complete an hour or more that we have booked. In my studio recitals, I will plan a first opening piece or a closing piece to act as a "prelude to the recital, or as a "postlude", I may not use it in the actual program because it's not needed, but I usually have some music up my sleeve that I would like to share with the families who patronize me.

The kids seem to appreciate it too. It lets that know that I was once a young piano student at age 9, and if I could do it, they they can do it too. In performance before them, I think I am a pretty good role model. Actually, many of my students play much better than I did in my first year!

I consider recitals to be milestones and celebrations

Betty

Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: DanLaura Larson] #1158090
03/05/09 08:27 PM
03/05/09 08:27 PM
Ohio
joyful noise Offline
joyful noise  Offline

Ohio
Throughout each school year, as part of the monthly group lesson, I teach about one of the time periods of classical music. Each month I feature the music of one of the composers of that era, and we learn about his or her life as a musician. At our spring recital, I perform a piece by one of the composers we have studied, and the students and families really seem to enjoy having made the connection throughout the year. I think it's important for students to know that their teacher can get up there and perform - just like we ask them to do!

Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: joyful noise] #1158107
03/05/09 08:50 PM
03/05/09 08:50 PM
Pocatello, Idaho
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D

Pocatello, Idaho
Thanks for the very good responses so far. I apologize for bringing a tired subject up again. I tried searching, but honestly, since the new software was installed a few days ago I've been frustrated with searches.

I've gone back and forth for a lot of years about whether or not to perform at the student recitals and can see strengths and weaknesses to each side.

John, you asked some good questions which will be food for thought. To answer two of them, yes I do perform in other venues and encourage students to attend these recitals. In fact, I am giving a free duet recital of at ISU tomorrow night. I do these about every six months at one of the churches or at the university. There are indeed other recitals at ISU that I tell my students about. Recently one of the faculty gave a recital at our home and I invited as many of my students as I could accomadate to come.

Laura

Dan and Laura Larson
Fazioli and Ibach grands
Larson Piano Studio
Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: DanLaura Larson] #1158138
03/05/09 09:58 PM
03/05/09 09:58 PM
wisconsin
C
CarolR Offline
CarolR  Offline
C

wisconsin
I debated about this this year. I hold a student workshop the week before the recital - a chance for the kids to play for each other, to give each other feedback, and to talk about recital protocol. I decided to play for them then, rather than in the real recital. One reason is that I have enough to be nervous about in the recital, LIKE standing up and speaking in front of all those people, that I don't want to add one more thing. I also had the idea of opening the recital with something fun, like showing Bugs Bunny 'Rhapsody Rabbit' - thinking it would relax everyone. But, I decided it was too much hassle and ended up showing that to the kids in the workshop.

I guess the question, to play or not to play, is will students and parents be inspired or discouraged because they can't play like that?

Carol

Working on:
Chopin: Barcarolle
Schubert: Sonata D959
Rachmaninoff: Daisies
Lutoslawski: Paganini Variations for 2 pianos

Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: CarolR] #1158268
03/06/09 02:55 AM
03/06/09 02:55 AM
Melbourne, Australia
L
lotuscrystal Offline
lotuscrystal  Offline
L

Melbourne, Australia
I always perform a piece at the end of my recitals...and from the feedback I've received over the years, both the students and parents find it inspiring. In fact, when I tell students about an upcoming recital for them, I often get that excited "will you be performing too?", from many students...I take that as it is a positive experience for them. Afterward, they're often curious about the piece I played, how I felt, was I nervous, etc...and it allows me to share a different aspect of teaching with them, as we are relating to each other as 'performers', and I get the impression that it's comforting for them to hear me perform, and to hear about my feelings about it...and we are able to discuss 'performance practice' in greater and equally related detail.

Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: lotuscrystal] #1160813
03/10/09 04:14 PM
03/10/09 04:14 PM
Toronto, Canada
M
musiclady Offline
musiclady  Offline
M

Toronto, Canada
Yes, most often as a duet partner for a student, and my students and parents I know really like having a teacher who can actually play! Though in my next student concert I will be playing accompanist to at least a couple of clarinet students.

Meri

Clarinet and Piano Teacher based out of Toronto, Canada.Web: http://donmillsmusicstudio.weebly.com
Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: musiclady] #1161041
03/11/09 01:14 AM
03/11/09 01:14 AM
Pacific Northwest
P
pianobuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member
pianobuff  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P

Pacific Northwest
Accompanying is not really the same as performing at your students' recital.

For me, I currently only have time to teach and not practice to where I feel a piece is polished enough to perform. Sad.

But I am hoping that will change, I may just have to force that change and then, yes, I think it would be wonderful to perform at their recital. Although, I don't think it is good to do it every time. Maybe every other year would be insprational and not overshadowing.

Private Piano Teacher,
member MTNA and Piano Basics Foundation
Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: pianobuff] #1161045
03/11/09 01:25 AM
03/11/09 01:25 AM
Down Under
currawong Offline
6000 Post Club Member
currawong  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Down Under
Originally Posted by pianobuff
Accompanying is not really the same as performing at your students' recital.

Accompanying is performing. It's just not the same as performing solo.
With the students we're talking about most of your accompanying is probably of the oom-pa-pa variety - but if your clarinet student were to play one of the Brahms sonatas you'd better believe you'd need to perform! smile

Du holde Kunst...
Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: currawong] #1161049
03/11/09 01:32 AM
03/11/09 01:32 AM
Pacific Northwest
P
pianobuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member
pianobuff  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P

Pacific Northwest
Curra I was talking about the person that posted right before me. I also think the OP was talking about solo performing! Am I correct?

By the way where do find the smileys on our new forum??

Private Piano Teacher,
Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: pianobuff] #1161052
03/11/09 01:40 AM
03/11/09 01:40 AM
Down Under
currawong Offline
6000 Post Club Member
currawong  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Down Under
Curra I was talking about the person that posted right before me. I also think the OP was talking about solo performing! Am I correct?

By the way where do find the smileys on our new forum??

I know smile - I'm just touchy about accompaniment not being considered "real" performing.

As for the smileys, there are little boxes up above the full reply form. However, I just type it in
: followed by ) turns out as a smiley smile
: followed by ( turns out as sad smiley frown
: followed by D is laughing smiley laugh

Du holde Kunst...
Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: currawong] #1161055
03/11/09 01:55 AM
03/11/09 01:55 AM
Pacific Northwest
P
pianobuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member
pianobuff  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P

Pacific Northwest
Thanks Curra. Why didn't I see these before? smile

I understand what you mean about accompanying. Definately if it is an advanced piece of literature that is being performed. Then yes that is performing. Did not mean to make it sound that all acompanying is not performing. smile

Private Piano Teacher,
Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: pianobuff] #1161057
03/11/09 02:04 AM
03/11/09 02:04 AM
Down Under
currawong Offline
6000 Post Club Member
currawong  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Down Under
I understand what you mean about accompanying. Definately if it is an advanced piece of literature that is being performed. Then yes that is performing.

I could be really picky and say that even if it isn't an advanced piece it's still performing. After all, the kid playing Froggy Hop isn't playing an advanced piece either and no-one says he's not performing...
But I won't say it 'cause you might think I'm being annoying smile

Du holde Kunst...
Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: Betty Patnude] #1161104
03/11/09 07:20 AM
03/11/09 07:20 AM
Virginia, USA
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
TimR  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
T

Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by Betty Patnude
Ben,

I think it's natural to play in a piano recital with your students. I often do the accompimentst to elemenary level duets with beginners, and I have frequently added my performance to the community events we have played - this is to round out the program and filling time to complete an hour or more that we have booked.
Betty

I agree.

Not all teachers are performers, of course, and it isn't necessarily a requirement to be a good teacher. And of course we wouldn't want a teacher doing a long difficult piece taking time and attention away from the kids.

But from a student's point of view, we tend to be loyal to and proud of our teachers. Hearing them play well in public is great!

gotta go practice
Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: TimR] #1161343
03/11/09 02:31 PM
03/11/09 02:31 PM
Pocatello, Idaho
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D

Pocatello, Idaho
pianobuff, yes I as referring to solo performing. Thanks all for the feedback.

Laura

Dan and Laura Larson
Fazioli and Ibach grands
Larson Piano Studio
Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: DanLaura Larson] #1161737
03/12/09 08:33 AM
03/12/09 08:33 AM
Hudson Valley, NY
B
BSP Offline
BSP  Offline
B

Hudson Valley, NY
This is quite an interesting thread!

I haven't given this much thought. I'm a beginning teacher and am just in the process of planning my second studio recital.

I didn't play at my first one, because I thought that it was all about showcasing the progress of my students. I attended a student recital once where the voice teacher performed a solo at the end, and at the time, I thought that it was inappropriate. I never considered it a motivating factor for the students.

One of my student's parents asked me to perform at the student recital and I declined. Now I wonder whether that would be inspiring? Food for thought...

BSP

Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: BSP] #1161826
03/12/09 10:57 AM
03/12/09 10:57 AM
Olympia, Washington, USA
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member
John v.d.Brook  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
BSP, your comment reminded me that once I attended a student recital, perhaps 25 young students, ranging from absolute beginner to middle intermediate (perhaps) and then the teacher ended the recital with a Rachmaninoff Prelude. It worked okay, because the recital wasn't more than 45 min long and it wrapped it up nicely.

But what would other teachers do, ones presenting more accomplished students? In my Spring recital this year, there will be movements from major sonatas, Brahms Op 79, n. 2, and other longer works. We will probably have a short intermission. Should I then end with some brilliant piece, adding another 5 to 10 minutes to the recital? What would be the point?

You know what I'd rather perform? Something introspective, but that wouldn't be in character for this type of event, would it?

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: John v.d.Brook] #1161913
03/12/09 02:00 PM
03/12/09 02:00 PM
Virginia, USA
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
TimR  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
T

Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Should I then end with some brilliant piece, adding another 5 to 10 minutes to the recital?

Nah. Bring two pianos. Fill those awkward silences between end of one student's piece and the start of the next one. Include enough modulation to bring the audience's ear to the next key.

gotta go practice
Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: TimR] #1161915
03/12/09 02:04 PM
03/12/09 02:04 PM
Olympia, Washington, USA
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member
John v.d.Brook  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
laugh

Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: TimR] #1163309
03/15/09 06:25 PM
03/15/09 06:25 PM
S
smanning Offline
smanning  Offline
S

When I was taking lessons my piano teacher always performed a memorzied piece at the recital. Her feeling was that if she expected her students to perform, she should perform a memorized piece as well. The spring recital was a themed recital, i.e. Broadway movies, duets, going to the circus, a visit to the zoo, Disney movies, etc. and she would perform a piece that matched that theme. Her piece was always very appropriate for the audience and the situation. Nothing extremely virtuosic, etc. but it was just really nice to get to hear her play as well.

Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: smanning] #1163328
03/15/09 07:19 PM
03/15/09 07:19 PM
Puyallup, Washington
B
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Betty Patnude  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
B

Puyallup, Washington
One of the advantages of having played the piano your students played upon is that you will know exactly the ease or difficulty the students experienced when they sat on the bench.

Sometimes I've been horrified at the electrical cords running around the piano and the books the church pianist left on the floor, and the impediments that you find when checking out the piano. I always think to do that first thing before anyone has arrived. To adjust the blinds where the sun will be coming in the window in about 30 minutes. All those little things that make you wince when they happen because it's avoidable with a little "policing".

I'm performing KP duty from the time I get to the recital place until the last person has left. So "performing" isn't always about the piano and it's music...it's sometimes being the manager of the team and the coach on the sidelines.

Regardless, you are still pretty prominent. You can't hide!

Might as well sit down and share some music since they all know you're in the "house" and here with your musical family.

So "performing" in a different definition would make me say, "Yes" I perform at our piano recitals.

Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: Betty Patnude] #1163475
03/16/09 06:50 AM
03/16/09 06:50 AM
Melbourne, Australia
L
lotuscrystal Offline
lotuscrystal  Offline
L

Melbourne, Australia
As a performer/teacher who encourages my students to embrace any opportunity to perform (by choice of course), I would think it hypocrytical if I didn't perform at recitals...I like to live by example...:)

Last edited by lotuscrystal; 03/16/09 06:53 AM.
Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: lotuscrystal] #1163535
03/16/09 09:57 AM
03/16/09 09:57 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Boynton Beach, FL
Being on the giving and receiving end of this question, I'd have to say when I had a teacher perform at a recital for the students, I felt quite a bit "upstaged." If a teacher wants to throw their own recital and have students attend, that's great. Then it's their recital and not their student's time to shine.

As a teacher, I've always performed at my studio recitals, but as an accompanist or a duet partner when someone backed out. My students get to hear me play, sometimes some rather difficult accompaniments. It is not a double standard, in my opinion. When I am performing my own recitals, then they can see me playing or singing memorized pieces.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: Morodiene] #1163950
03/17/09 07:29 AM
03/17/09 07:29 AM
Melbourne, Australia
L
lotuscrystal Offline
lotuscrystal  Offline
L

Melbourne, Australia
Upstaged by your teacher?...seriously...how can one be 'upstaged' by one's teacher? One's teacher is a forum for not only guidance, but inspiration...They are the magician and the scientist and the master of philanthropy in each of their student's experiences of music...upstaging isn't part of that equation.

This has really got me puzzled.

Of course, I wouldn't recommend the teacher launch into some obscurely known 3 movement sonata, but sheesh...wouldn't it be nice for the teacher, at the end of their student's recital, to address the crowd, speak to them on how awesome the student's performances have been, and then introduce them to a well-known piano piece that they can enjoy and the students can gain inspiration from seeing you perform?....for free?...

Upstaging happens amongst peers...not amongst mentors...lol

As his piano student, I was always grateful to see Antonin Kubalek (Glenn Gould's prodigy) perform at any of his student's recitals...I never felt 'over-shadowed'...lol..so funny to think such a thing.

He led by example...as so should you.
smile

Last edited by lotuscrystal; 03/17/09 07:37 AM.
Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: lotuscrystal] #1163994
03/17/09 09:17 AM
03/17/09 09:17 AM
Olympia, Washington, USA
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member
John v.d.Brook  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
As I wrote early on:

What is the purpose of your studio recitals? To showcase your students' progress? To showcase your talents? To motivate students? To educate students & parents in piano lit? Do you play for your students in other settings? Does (community) have piano recitals you can have your students attend?

This topic has come up predictably about every 8 months and generally generates a lot of heat. If you search the archives, you will find plenty of opinion going both ways.

I personally choose not to, although there are times I am tempted.

Thus far, we've had a total rehash of all the previous reasons offered why/why not teachers should perform. It appears that those teachers who want a performing venue are going to perform at their students' recital, and those teachers who want the focus entirely on their students are not going to perform.

As for
(Teachers) are the magician and the scientist and the master of philanthropy in each of their student's experiences of music...upstaging isn't part of that equation.

that expressly enumerates why teachers should perform for students both at lessons and in monthly group lessons, where we can also spend time teaching students performance demeanor.

Re: Do you perform at your studio recitals? [Re: John v.d.Brook] #1164017
03/17/09 10:02 AM
03/17/09 10:02 AM
Puyallup, Washington
B
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Betty Patnude  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
B

Puyallup, Washington
Besides all the purposes that one might list as desirable, there is always the idea that I am trying to present an event that is enjoyable in it's music, and that there is enough relaxation among everyone present, that we will have a mannerly, and warm support group for all participants.

I believe it's a social event as much as it is anything else.

It we aren't glad we came, and didn't enjoy it this time, there is no reason to come back for a next time.

I think one of the things that is most a surprize in recitals is, the students have greatly improved since last time, and that in itself is a joy.

I like to support my students by being in it with them just enough to show this lady still has something to teach me. And, I think they value anything I say to them more so when they know I lead by example. I've been there, done that.

I treat my guests as though we are all an interconnected family, we support every participant not just the one we came with.

At the same time, I planned the music program and taught it as though I'm in a professional in music education service and a business person taking care of all the expenses and deductions, and finally, at the event, I'm the teacher, in charge, but also the social event planner and hostess.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Curriculum of techniques for various levels?
by cathryn999. 11/17/18 10:25 PM
Ever heard of Yamaha SCLP-5450??
by Sean L. 11/17/18 09:39 PM
Disobedient pinkies & lazy thumbs
by Tyrone Slothrop. 11/17/18 08:06 PM
Modulation
by Alex873. 11/17/18 07:26 PM
Problem with sound on Yamaha DGX-630?
by Sophiex. 11/17/18 06:34 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,392
Posts2,762,089
Members91,513
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission