2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, 5 invisible), 1,304 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh my, you guys just made this old farts day.

grin grin grin

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
C
C
I was tempted to add a post to this thread but the discussion has degenerated into petty bickering so I don't think it really matters any more.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Copake
hope you realise we re having a little fun at the expense of Jason. Do not hesitate to participate..

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Copake
I was tempted to add a post to this thread but the discussion has degenerated into petty bickering so I don't think it really matters any more.

You're so sensitive. This country was built by petty bickering. 250 years ago, that's how things got done in this great country of ours, may our forefathers rest in peace on this Holy Day. smile

Anyway, if either Harold Camping is right, we have until Sept. 21, 2011 before the entire universe burns up, and if the Mayans are right, we have until the Summer of 2112 before the end of days, so Classical music might have a shorter future than you all suppose it does. grin

Last edited by BJones; 04/12/09 01:40 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andromaque
Copake
hope you realise we re having a little fun at the expense of Jason. Do not hesitate to participate..

I suggest he read this:

http://www.rejectedjokes.com/picture_library/idiotsguide.jpg

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BJones
Originally Posted by Copake

You're so sensitive. This country was built by petty bickering. 250 years ago, that's how things got done in this great country of ours, may our forefathers rest in peace on this Holy Day. smile

Anyway, if either Harold Camping is right, we have until Sept. 21, 2011 before the entire universe burns up, and if the Mayans are right, we have until the Summer of 2112 before the end of days, so Classical music might have a shorter future than you all suppose it does. grin

I'm going with the Mayan's they seem jazzier. smile

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Andromaque:
OMG!! I don't think I have EVER been called that before! On this Holy day of all days too!!! What happened to British eloquence???

Steven:
However—in this context—I think it can be seen as a badge of honor.

Indeed. I can confirm that the way Jason used the term in question, it is actually quite an affectionate one. It's that irony thing again: we Brits are only (gently) rude to people we actually like. People we don't like we ignore entirely smile

Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by rrb
Originally Posted by wr
Actually, that's not historically true. Most classical music has been readily understood and received without undue problems immediately - it's only the exceptionally advanced and difficult that has a hard time.

I'd own up to exaggerating to make a point, but there is a point. D'you think everything written by Franz Schubert is 'exceptionally advanced and difficult'? Do you believe that everything written by J.S.Bach is 'exceptionally advanced and difficult'?

Beethoven complained constantly because Rossini's music was more popular than his own. Rossini has instant appeal. Charming stuff. Beethoven made demands on the listener. Same then as it is now.

I am trying to make the point that there's nothing unusual about the present day. There have always been composers trying to tread new paths, and many of these struggled to gain a public during their lifetime.

Well, since I said "most" rather than "all", I probably don't need to reply to you bringing up Bach and Schubert. But, since you did bring them up, it's hard to resist...

As I understand it, the issue with Bach in his own time was that not only was much of his music considered kind of difficult in a sort of academic way, it was also thought to be old-fashioned and dry (rather than advanced in the cutting-edge sense). Plus, as far as I know he never tried very hard to achieve international recognition, anyway, and just stayed put in his little world. Within that world, his music actually did pretty well, I think. That vast collection of cantatas did get performed, after all. And the complaints about how fancy his organ playing was in church didn't come from classical music lovers, exactly. And although I don't agree, I can easily understand why some people felt he was out line, considering the purpose for which he was hired.

I actually don't know that much about the relative acceptance of Schubert's music or reasons it might not have been accepted, other than the obvious reason that he died right as he was starting to become famous, which tends to put a damper on things. Of course, the Liszt arrangements of a lot of the songs, plus the Soirees de Vienne, meant that at least his name was widely known.
Originally Posted by rrb

Originally Posted by wr
The "Rite" was an immediate hit with concert audiences as soon as it was presented as standalone music, separate from the ballet.

Certainly, the music became instantly notorious because of the riot and people wanted to hear it because they were curious. It did not take long for critics to realize what Stravinsky's 'program' was and how brilliantly and with what amazing innovation he had achieved his goal. In a sense, the riot liberated the music.

The main reason I included 'Le Sacre' was because someone sufficiently interested in music to contribute on this forum stated that he preferred listening to 'a chain saw'. Which suggests that 'hit' may be a bit strong, perhaps?

Well, "hit" to me means that it got a lot of performances, for a new work, not that everyone under the sun loved or loves it.

Originally Posted by rrb

Originally Posted by wr
But that piece has still failed to "catch on", and I doubt it ever will.

I can agree, though it's arguably Rach's best Symphony. But its poor reception was because Glazunov made an utter mess of the premiere. Rach had taken extraordinary pains with the work and really thought he had written something remarkable. So one can imagine how he would he feel when a respected critic wrote:-
'If there were a conservatory in heck, and if one of its talented students were asked to compose a program symphony based on the story of the Ten Plagues of Egypt, and if he were to compose a symphony like Rachmaninov's, then he would have fulfilled his task brilliantly and would delight the inhabitants of heck.'

How about dem apples for a composer trying to make a mark? Four years passed before Rach wrote his next large scale work, the 2nd Concerto, which is less adventurous than the Symphony and has obvious 'instant appeal'.

I'm not sure how much that has to do with the topic though, because the problem wasn't with the music's style or any real difficulty people had with it.

Originally Posted by rrb

Originally Posted by wr
Bulow and Rubinstein were playing them in public in the 1880's, and those were very mainstream pianists.

So, ok, 60 years, not 100. Agreed, Beethoven was writing 'for himself', not for contemporary audiences. However, when they are played well, these Sonatas today mesmerize audiences all over the world. The impression your post may create, that they are 'only for pointy-heads' is simply wrong.

You are right, they do have a fairly large audience these days.

But I don't agree that things are much the same today as they always were. For one thing that is unarguably quite different, we don't have the sort of composer-performers that were common in the 19th century, who, as often as not, would be playing a lot of their own recent compositions in their concerts. That meant that concert-goers were constantly exposed to new music in a way that is far from true today. Just try to imagine what it would be like if all the pianists on the international scene today were playing their own new concertos and sonatas instead of (or along with) the old chestnuts.

I also don't think there has ever been another musical era in which a major style embraced by some composers, some performers, and some critics was resisted for so long as what happened with "high modernism" in the last century. Sure, there has always been some resistance to new trends, but nothing like that.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by PoStTeNeBrAsLuX

Indeed. I can confirm that the way Jason used the term in question, it is actually quite an affectionate one. It's that irony thing again: we Brits are only (gently) rude to people we actually like. People we don't like we ignore entirely smile

Michael 'nailed' that one. My apologies, I should have chosen a better word. But I have been called an 'old fart' for daring to love church music, something most of my generation thinks is just a big laugh, even though I am politically and theologically very liberal.

Every member I mentioned I respect for their astute contributions. They represent an older generation, and as such, there is much to learn here from their experience.

Jason
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr

A large audience? Compared to what? Vaudeville? shocked

I work in the recording/studio industry. I have plenty of pow-wows with A&R people and industry executives. In essence I wrk with and confer with these people. I'm also aware of what's hot and what's not, not just where I work, but in the music business industry, and money-wise, from the standpoint of sales and merketability, classical performance recordings occupy the bottom rungs on the ladder along with Balinese gong music and reissues of Tiny Tim's recordings.
Anyone walking through a CD mega-store will realize this immediately as they hunt for the classical section, if they have one.

Last edited by BJones; 04/14/09 12:22 AM.
Gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
classical performance recordings occupy the bottom rungs on the ladder ...Anyone walking through a CD mega-store will realize this immediately as they hunt for the classical section, if they have one.

Man this burns me up too. It's so hard to find a good retail store for classical music. I understand stores stock what is in demand, but it is frustrating for us classical lovers.

By the way, do I get a prize of initiating a long lasting thread?

Best regards,

Deborah
rrb Offline
Originally Posted by wr

A large audience? Compared to what? Vaudeville? shocked

Oh dear. You again. Oh well.

You challenged us to 'find the classical section' in a typical CD store. I challenge you to find in a typical book store the aisle where the overwhelming 'best-seller' -- no other book even comes close -- is on display.

Rob
rrb Offline
Originally Posted by gooddog

Sure! You get to read it smirk I'd be interested to learn whether the thread has made you more, or less secure about the future of classical music.

Rob
Gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Many posters have made me feel much better, thank you, smile especially, Tomasino.

Best regards,

Deborah
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
classical performance recordings occupy the bottom rungs on the ladder ...Anyone walking through a CD mega-store will realize this immediately as they hunt for the classical section, if they have one.

Man this burns me up too. It's so hard to find a good retail store for classical music. I understand stores stock what is in demand, but it is frustrating for us classical lovers.

No. You get the prize if it goes 20 pages without a lock down. whistle

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[Man this burns me up too. It's so hard to find a good retail store for classical music. I understand stores stock what is in demand, but it is frustrating for us classical lovers.

Most of these larger stores are in malls or prime retail space, paying mega-bucks for rent. They can't afford to stock items with a long shelf life.
My guess is that a new release just by Chris Brown or Rihanna alone generate more gross sales nationwide that week than the entire catalog of classical recordings available in all the same stores do for the whole year, this being the main reason why Chris Moneytrain won't ever see the inside of a jail cell for tuning up Rihanna, God Bless Puffy and JayZ.

Last edited by BJones; 04/14/09 04:59 AM.
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
For years, any Barnes & Noble store in NYC with a music department devoted a very significant amount of space to classical CDs. I moved to the suburbs a year ago and can't vouch that this is still true, but it used to be.

Steven

Gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
The Barnes and Noble near my home has a steadily shrinking classical department. Thank goodness for the internet!

Best regards,

Deborah
rrb Offline
Originally Posted by wr
Plus, as far as I know he never tried very hard to achieve international recognition, anyway, and just stayed put in his little world.

I think this is a large part of it. G.F.Haendel tended to the opposite pole.

Schubert's short lifespan was surely a factor. He was 'of the provinces' and never found a way into the 'big time' in Vienna. Self-promotion was not his thing.

Originally Posted by wr

I'm not sure how much that has to do with the topic though, because the problem wasn't with the music's style or any real difficulty people had with it.

It seemed to me relevant in two respects. First, Rach nearly quit composing large scale works. Second, the 1st Symphony is musically quite innovative. Thereafter Rach tended to 'play it safe'. Leaves one wondering what he might have achieved if his crisis following the reception of his Symphony had been avoided.

But I don't agree that things are much the same today as they always were. For one thing that is unarguably quite different, we don't have the sort of composer-performers that were common in the 19th century, who, as often as not, would be playing a lot of their own recent compositions in their concerts.

Some have tried, John Ogden for example, but I agree that they are few. Perhaps the demands made of a modern virtuoso are a bit daunting. There have been a few composer/conductors, for example, Pierre Boulez, Esa-Pekka Salonen, but again rather few.

Originally Posted by wr
I also don't think there has ever been another musical era in which a major style embraced by some composers, some performers, and some critics was resisted for so long as what happened with "high modernism" in the last century. Sure, there has always been some resistance to new trends, but nothing like that.

This is a valid point. However, it is too early to say with any confidence whether the time span is a fluctuation or is truly anomalous.

What is sure us that the 20th century was anomalous in several respects. War has been with us for ever, but the first war destroyed the society that supported much of the musical activity of the 19th century. The second world war virtually finished Europe off for a long while.

For some reason, the US did not 'take up the slack' -- a lack of tradition, perhaps, possibly also the emergence of the affluent society. Charles Ives, for example, arguably the most talented of American born composers, made the conscious decision to sell insurance rather than live in penury in a freezing garret. As Elliot Carter put it, 'You don't make money by composing classical music.'

Add to this the 'technological revolution' which opened up new opportunities for experimentation, and compound all these factors with a general tendency to turn inward in the sense that composers worked to impress each other rather than 'speak to a public', and you have one very confused century, musically speaking.

As for a 'major style', I'm not sure what you're referring to unless this is the 'style' Morricone gave up to write film music, and Salonen recently rejected, crediting his experiences in LA with opening his mind to the notion that music is, after all, about melody!

To end on a positive note, while I agree with your point that the days of composer/performer seem to be over, or at least 'on hold', many composers are now writing for specific artists and ensembles. An excellent example is Gidon Kremer. If anyone gets the chance to attend a concert given by Kremer and his ensemble 'Kremerata Baltica', don't hesitate. It's an unforgettable experience.

http://www.kremerata-baltica.com/introduction.htm

Last edited by rrb; 04/14/09 10:18 AM.

Rob
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I wonder whether YouTube will decrease interest in live concerts especially in more expensive venues like NYC. It certainly has for me, and I rarely go to concerts in NYC unless they're free or moderately priced. If I want to hear Kissin, I can see nunmerous great Youtube videos and get a closer view than I could in any concert venue.

If I was richer, then things would be different, but the least expensive seat at Carnegie Hall is close o $40 now.

Hopefully, YouTube will increase interest in classical music whether or not it affects attendance at live concerts.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/14/09 11:34 AM.
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission