2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 12 invisible), 1,968 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Elie Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Great forum!
I will be starting as a beginner again after 20 years of not touching a musical keyboard.
I am in the market to buy one of these two CASIO: CDP200CSPB AND PX120CSCBSP.

Any idea what's the meaning of all these suffixs? I don't get responds from Casio so far.

I read a lot of the posting here in respect to these two models as well as in general. These two models are in my price range. Either of the two is C$599.99. I read their specs several times and have attempted to compare them. I am look to have a fair balance between price, quality of DP sound, the feel, and certainly its features and so on.

Please, I would truly appreciate if you could offer me your own personal review, opinion, pros, cons, and or comparison of the two.

Thankx!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
no idea about the suffixs, but after all it's just a CDP200 or a PX120. i haven't seen CDP200 in stores, but PX120 has been around for a while already. so, if you want to compare the 2, then first check each one's specs, and secondly, try them out in stores to see which one you like the best.

A
A
Costco.ca has CDP200 on sale online for $499 till March 15

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product...A&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-CA

Here is comparison of some Casio and Yamaha DP.

http://www.mannsmusic.co.uk/admin/pdf/CDP200%20-%20AP200%20Comparisons.pdf

CDP 200 looks like to have more features than PX120. If you truly want a portable too checkout PX320. My daughter learns on a PX 720 bought at Costco and it sounds awesome.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
As far as I can tell, the technology in the CDP200 is pretty much the same as in the Casio CTK-5000 and WK-500. From hearing the sounds in these models, I would suggest that the base samples used for the pianos and electric pianos are the same as in the PX-120/320/720. However, the method of reproducing the sounds appears to be different. The CTK/WK keyboards use AHL (Acoustic & Highly-compressed Large-waveform)whereas the Privias use AIF (Acoustic & Intelligent Filtering System).

The difference in practice seems to be that the grand piano sounds have more presence, body and expressivity in the AIF Privias. Maybe the very high compression in the AHL-driven keyboards sucks some of the life out of the samples. When it comes to EPs, the difference may not be so great - both systems seem to use only two sample layers for EPs and the sound is not so hot anyway (IMHO). I would hazard a guess (again from listening to the two systems) that the tri-element AIF Privias employ (as the name suggests) three sample layers for acoustic-type pianos, as opposed to two on the AHL keyboards.

You would need to play them side by side to decide which you like best, but if you can't do that I would suggest sticking with the PX-120, if you don't need all the extra sounds and features of the CDP200.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I forgot to mention that polyphony is far better on the PX120 - 128 notes as opposed to 48. Although 48 sounds plenty, you have to take into account that stereo piano samples use half of the available polyphony for each channel, so the effective polyphony is cut to 24 on the CDP200 and 68 on the PX-120. Do a long sustained run on the CDP and you'll soon get notes cutting off. Add in some strings as a layer and you'll be down to 12 notes on the CDP.

The PX-120 also has piano-oriented features such as half-pedaling (with a suitable pedal) and acoustic resonance. I don't know what the differences in action are, but the PX series has been praised for having a good piano-like action in a very lightweight, compact body.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
A
A
Thanks for adding the Polyphony, I was just thinking about it.

The PX 720 that I have has a wonderful sound system. The speakers do not distort on high volume setting and are built separately in box. The piano comes with 3 pedals.

For entry level PX120 is good but when PX720 goes on sale it as at the same price as PX120.

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10306698&lang=en-CA

http://www.priviapiano.com/products/PX-120/

D
D
I can give a partial answer to the numbers after the model number. Usually they indicate a particular bundle. For example, Best Buy sells the PX120 bundled with a stand and 3-pedal unit (which is why their price is $100 more than normal). So their part number has the "CS" (Casio Stand) and "SP" (Sustain Pedal) added on it. The "CB" means that the Casio Bench is included.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission