2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
Hello,

I am just learning to play piano. I unfortunately waited late in life but I am enjoying it thus far. My question is guidance with the speed of the metronome with what the tempo o f the music calls for on the sheet music. Example, a piece of music calls for a slow tempo then what would be the metronome range for what is considered slow? Also, if the music sheet calls for brisk or fast what should the range on the metronome clicks for this speed. I just need some type of range of metronome clicks for each tempo speed.

Thanks for any advice.

John

Last edited by John_Cmajor; 03/05/09 08:54 PM.
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
John,

Older-style wind-up metronomes typically had a scale that assigned labels like Largo to the slowest speed (usually 40 beats per minute) and Prestissimo to the fastest (around 200 bpm, I think).

But it's arbitrary and meaningless without reference to which note value receives the beat and thus is represented by one click.

For example, a very fast piece in 4/4 time marked Presto might be 160 bpm, with each quarter note receiving one beat (i.e., one click).

But one could also choose to set the metronome at 80 bpm for only two clicks per measure, with each click/beat then representing the value of a half note.

One might even choose to have the metronome click just once per measure at 40 bpm, in which case each click would have the value of a whole note.

In any case, the tempo of the piece would be exactly the same. It would still be fast; only the pace of the metronome would be slower.

The reverse is also true. A piece marked Largo or Grave might be marked for 40 bpm with each quarter note receiving one click/beat.

But if one wanted to have one click per eighth note instead, the metronome would be set at 80 bpm; for one click per sixteenth note, it would be at 160 bpm.

Music that bears a metronome marking in bpm will always specify which note value the number applies to.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the PW forums!

Steven

here's a good starting point for BPM numbers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempo#Basic_tempo_markings

aim for the moon - if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for all the information everyone. I liked the wikipedia page. It was helpful. Never thought to search there.

John

Last edited by John_Cmajor; 03/08/09 10:28 AM.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission