2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 2,012 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1157075 03/04/09 11:53 AM
-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Eleven members of this forum have been working for about a year to bring you the second installment of our Mazurka Marathon. It debuted Sunday March 1st and there is yet to be one comment made. Really! Come on and give your fellow performers some support why don't you? The mazurkas are here and each one of them is a gem.

http://www.chopinforever.org/mazurkathon2009

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the link, the site is really cool.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm listening to them now and really enjoying them. Of course, being the musical ignoramus I am, I had to go Google "what is a muzurka?" first. blush

No offense to the Chopin fans! I just haven't advanced enough to play him. My teacher, however, said very early on that, as soon as I'm ready, she'll have me playing Chopin. He's her favorite composer ... which seems to be the case for many a pianist. I'm sure I'll understand more why that is so when I get to work on some of his pieces.

Back to the muzurkas: They're really delightful. I might have to see if I can dig up a video of people dancing the muzurka as I'm trying to visualize it but keep imagining Virginia reels and such. I think maybe that's not so correct ...

What's the history of how this muzurka fest, anyway? I've been away and missed the planning discussions, assuming there were any. Who's the genius I should be thanking?

Deborah
Charles Walter 1500
Happiness is a shiny red piano.
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yes, thanks for alerting us to the Mazurkathon, Frycek. I can think of a couple of factors why this event slipped entirely below my (and others') radar:

(1) It coincided with the transition to the new forum software, and many of us were having trouble simply navigating the site, let alone reading all the threads carefully.

(2) The title of the thread didn't alert us to the fact that the mazurkathon was going on in it. It may be embarrassing to admit this, but I tend not to click on classically-oriented threads because that's not where my expertise and interest lies. So I thought the thread just was full of people saying 'happy birthday' to Chopin and I didn't read it. whome

So I hope you will understand that it was not intentional neglect on my (and presumably others') part but just obliviousness... which isn't much of a defense, I'll admit. help

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Frycek,

My excuse (which is probably alot worse than Monica's wink ) is that I still haven't made time to listen to the 13th Recital yet. So I really need to do that first, then it will be onto the Marzukas!

Euan.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Oh geeze...

how horrible of us! Slap us silly with a wet fish (*ewww*)

Will start listening RIGHT NOW!

I love to hear pianists sharing their playing.

How about if you share this with the other sections of the forums? and WTF? I know that I don't always get over to the beginners forum section. What brought me here today was that it was posting over on the left in the new postings box.

I don't know about you'll, but I am still having a hard time navigating around the new forum looks...

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I have enjoyed listening to you pianists share your Mazurka's over this past hour. Several that I had not known before.

BRAVO!

I'll be looking forward to the next group in the spring.

;-)

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Testing the editing function

Last edited by Libby; 03/04/09 07:03 PM.
ooh it's so easy to listen to them with that webplayer, and good fun too!

Thanks for the poke.

aim for the moon - if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Succsessful marketing steps:

1.) Create awareness
2.) Create interest
3.) Create desire
4.) Create action

None of us should be "ashamed" of ourselves if the event was not promoted properly. It is not our responsibility to track these things.

That said, all of us here will now probably take a listen to the marathon since we are now *aware* of it. Since there are many Chopin fans here, many of us will naturally be *interested* in the marathon. In fact, many of us may *desire* to listen to it when we get home and probably *will*..(i.e "action").

Congratulations to all the performers in the marathon. Your efforts and performances have NOT gone unnoticed and each performance was fantastic.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Does this Mazurka Marathon get posted (for keeps) in the performance forum section of PW?

If not yet, maybe it should be!

And maybe it could have a nice new title?

the 68 No 2 by Mistaya was particularly great 3hearts

Last edited by Bunneh; 03/06/09 08:10 AM.

aim for the moon - if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky
Succsessful marketing steps:

None of us should be "ashamed" of ourselves if the event was not promoted properly. It is not our responsibility to track these things.

I agree with SH, but I would go even further - even if it had been promoted properly there is absolutely no valid reason for one to feel ashamed for not listening - no matter how worthy the project.

Pehaps an expression of mild disappointment, with some words of encouragement would have been highly preferable to an unjustifiable "scolding" suggesting a lack of artistic appreciation and a flagrant derelection of duty.

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
Thank you Bunneh! blush A little encouragement goes a long way.

I thought all of the performances were wonderful. Such a long wait for the next installment...

regards

-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
I apologize if I came on so strongly as to be offensive. In my own Southern vernacular what I wrote was a mild, slightly humorous encouragement to participate. I must remember a tone of voice can't be heard on the net.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, my excuse is that I've been away for the past 10 days.

I was somewhat aware that there was a Mazurka marathon planned, but was not aware that it had actually occurred until I found this thread today. I'm still not sure what a mazurka is, but I found each of them delightful and I applaud all the participants.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm only ashamed of what I submitted in such fabulous company blush.

I have noticed, though, that in the regular recitals, most of the comments came from other participants. I don't know why we Marzurkers didn't do that too, but we didn't (myself included).

At any rate, thank you all for a very lovely slice of Chopin. I really enjoyed listening to the recital.

And a very special thanks to Mary Rose and Frycek for everything you did to make it come true. heart

Last edited by rustyfingers; 03/09/09 07:38 PM.

If I had ever learnt, I should have been a great proficient.
[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
I don't believe that Frycek should apologize for her post. If I did take part in the marathon, I know it would not only break my heart a bit, but I would also be a little disillusioned and disappointed in the people who frequent this forum if not a single comment was posted.

I do believe that it would be a good idea if the participants could have a critique thread as the regular recitals do. At least then we could count on some feedback.

I do applaud each and every one of you who played. I am envious of your talents and discipline but have the highest regard and appreciation for you all.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for putting on this mazurka marathon. I have been enjoying it. Some I had not ever heard before. It should have a sticky post for easy finding - I mean with a title telling it is a mazurka marathon. Now I feel like dancing...

Last edited by guest1013; 03/15/09 01:57 PM.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission