2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 10 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BarbVA Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I'm using the Alfred's Greatest Hits level one as a supplement to the AIO and today decided to start working on My Heart Will Go On (Theme from the Titanic). I finally got it to sounding something like it is supposed to, and I started crying. I became overwhelmed with missing my younger sister who died suddenly two days before this past Thanksgiving.

I was doing good up until then. Not sure if I should put this song away for now, or use it as a tool to deal with my still raw emotions and grief.

Has anyone else ever experienced being overcome by emotions from the music they are making?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I can't listen to "Fur Elise" without crying, and I certainly can't play it. I learned it to play for my mom at her birthday last April, and she passed away suddenly in early November.

Music has such power to move us. Pieces like "My Heart Will Go On," are, of course, intended to evoke strong emotions. But I think any kind of music at all can make one cry, with the right associations.

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.

Last edited by piano_deb; 03/03/09 02:40 PM.

Deborah
Charles Walter 1500
Happiness is a shiny red piano.
[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
A few years ago I was asked to play my violin for an LPN graduate pinning ceremony at the college where I work. I was asked to play ‘Wind beneath my wings” on the violin. I was up on a stage area with two other ladies who were part of the program. As I began to play my violin I notice both the ladies next to me crying. To this day I don’t know if these two ladies were crying because my violin playing was so good or because it was so bad. grin

Yes, music does provoke a strong sense of emotion (for better or worse ;)).

Take care,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Odd... I just posted a similar statement over at the March Piano Bar.

Barbva
I am sorry for your loss. I lost my "little Sister" a short time ago as well. Music can certainly pull emotions to the surface.

Last edited by Carl Mc; 03/03/09 03:00 PM.

B
BarbVA Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Carl Mc
Odd... I just posted a similar statement over at the March Piano Bar.

Odd indeed, I'll have to go find it.

And I'm sorry for your loss as well.

Last edited by BarbVA; 03/03/09 03:08 PM.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Any player who is a real artist, or even a lover of music, has had a time when they have been very moved--- yes, even to tears. Sometimes to the brighter feelings. Sometimes to peace and serenity.

Any good thing can be taken beyond the point where it is healthy or useful... but that's not what I am hearing you say. My personal opinion: more woes have been visited upon the world by people who don't feel anything than those who do. So, I count you as a lucky person. I am sorry about your loss.

The inner feeling is what makes the difference is the player who is technically perfect--- but whom no one wants to hear--- and the artist who feels, and makes us feel, too.

The answer to your question is, yes, I have.

Clef

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I was just rehearsing this piece day before yesterday; towards the end of the piece I felt overwhelmed with emotion - a very rare thing for me while I'm playing.

Sensing that the violinist was also moved, I then asked him if he ever felt a sense of awe that he is able produce such beautiful music. We silently reflected on what a privilege it is to make music.

My Dad died in December. I cry when I play the songs he liked and sang along with me. So its not the song, but the connection they gave to a man I loved. He and my Mom sang 1940s show tunes all the time. Both were 92 when they died.

Yamaha WX3 Upright
Yamaha YPG 625 keyboard
Chopin's Waltz in A minor 19 makes me cry every time i play it.
and Nocturne c sharp minor. Lots of memories in them.
I was raised being taught to "feel the heart of each note" so it's hard for me not to cry. Music is the language of the heart.

Angel

Music is in the Heart, not the hands.
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If you could hear me play you'd know the answer was -- "always!" Oh, but you were referring to content, not ability. The answer to that is yes, sometimes.

Ed

"...a man ... should engage himself with the causes of the harmonious combination of sounds, and with the composition of music." Anatolius of Alexandria
[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
...I cannot pinpoint any specific piece, but my first experience playing a grand piano brought tears of joy to me. Over the new year holidays, I was playing piano at a party and a friend of mine was shocked that she took a few photos of me while playing "Äuld Lang Syne" at the stroke of midnight. A few Christmas tunes were also played as well. If that is not the joy of playing the piano, then what is?

- Mark

...The ultimate joy in music is the joy of playing the piano...
I've always believed that playing with emotion is the key to playing well. If you feel it, others feel it. IMHO playing with emotion is way more important than playing without mistakes - it is why we play in the first place. It can make you feel kinda naked though.

Estonia 168 - slow down, relax, & listen
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Moonlight 1st mvt made me cry once, while i was playing it.

Chopin Nocturne opus 27 no.1 and Nocturne no.20.

I also cried during the Funeral march (Chopin)

That's all smile

Ps: I didn't play all this pieces yet, but i will soon:)

Last edited by GreenRain; 03/03/09 05:32 PM.
S
S
The Cast Away movie theme (by Alan Silvestri) always brings a tear to my eye and makes the hairs on my neck rise, especially at the point when the piano first comes in, I think it's a lovely piece of music. I love the film and the ending is so sad.

As a beginner I would absolutely love to learn it eventually. There are a couple of clever people on youtube playing it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8-aMDLrX6Y&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17OalaJPqPo&feature=related

Though I believe that there isn't any sheet music available.

This is Alan Silvestri's original:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCmMfLBhvfI

Best wishes everyone
Shaun

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I have a strong sentimental streak, and find my eyes welling up quite often when I listen to beautiful music. Doesn't happen much when I play, though. There's that beautiful part to contend with.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Not played but after I watched this video with music by Yann Tiersen I was balling like a baby. A must see!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr64NI33qUo

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Actually, the piece I am learning right now put a lump in my throat when I finally got some of the chords right.

I don't want to disclose which specific piece it is yet since I may submit it as my next recital piece but it is composed by David Lanz.

I must admit that there are times after listening to certain songs/pieces that I get physically moved in the beauty of the piece. Goosebumps, chokey throat, eyes swelling...the whole bit.

Music really does sooth the savage beast; or at least the beast! [does'nt really have to be a savage!].

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The closest for me was hearing Arvo Part's 'Spiegel im Spiegel' for the first time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtFPdBUl7XQ

So no, not playing the piece itself - just listening to it.

Last edited by Euan Morrison; 03/04/09 07:27 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Every time I play "Everything I Own" by Bread. Sang it to my Dad at his funeral (under my breath) in 1975. Still makes me swell up...even as I type now.

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
There's plenty of music that gets me emotional, but these two pieces are the only ones that actually got the tears rolling:
Mozart - Requiem: Lacrimosa
Constance Demby - Novus Magnificat part 1

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission