2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1156373 03/03/09 09:29 AM
N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Thanks to everyone who has helped in my piano search over the last month. My new Estonia 168 will arrive on Thursday, and I couldn’t be more excited about it!

The road to this purchase has been quite educational. Five years ago my tech told me that my family was outgrowing our Baldwin spinet and should consider upgrading. He said I should be able to get a quality used upright for under $5000. At the time, that was a shocking amount of money to me for a piano, but I trusted his judgment, and he found me a used Yamaha U-3 at PianoWorks, where I ultimately bought my Estonia this weekend. I never expected to be a "repeat customer" there, but they treated me well, even though I was not in the market for one of their more expensive pianos.

When I started shopping this time, I really wanted an Estonia 190. I have mentioned before that I am purchasing this with a small inheritance I got from my mother last year, and I was determined not to dip into my own family’s savings to pay for this. It was either going to be a gift from my mom and dad, or I wasn’t going to get it. I tried every less expensive brand I could, trying to get my mind off the Estonia, which was well out of my price range new. After playing a 168 on my visit to PianoWorks, I began to consider changing sizes rather than brands. I thought it over, recounted every dollar that wasn’t mired in the stock market, and I realized I just might be able to stretch to the 168 with the trade-in on one of my current uprights. I also emailed lots of Estonia 168 owners on PW to ask if they thought the piano seemed small in sound or stature once they got it home, and universally everyone still loved their piano and didn’t regret anything about their decision.

One thing I have learned in this search is that I should never have looked at the dealer as my adversary, but more like my partner. We both wanted me to purchase a piano I was happy with, and we both needed to be satisfied with the price. I shopped several places, and all had salespeople who treated me well. I could see a difference, though, at PianoWorks, probably because it’s a family business; the owner’s son, Sam, worked with me as I made my decision. He went through various brands, sizes and tones, trying to help me figure out what I wanted. He emailed me at length to answer my questions, and he gave fair assessments of some of the pianos I was trying that were not in his showroom.

I also learned how valuable the prep work is that the dealer provides. The particular Estonia I was considering had not been there long and had had only the initial tuning when I tried it on my first visit, so the owner, Don, tuned and voiced it before I got there to play it again Saturday. The difference he made in the piano was amazing—it was absolutely gorgeous. The final step was seeing if I really could afford it. Sam had already discussed the price and trade in with his dad, and when he showed me my “out the door” price and I saw it came in a hair under what I had to spend, I felt a huge wave of relief. I really was going to be able to afford that beautiful instrument!

When I first posted here that I was considering buying a grand, justifying the expense was at the top of my concerns. I got an array of helpful responses, so I also put that question to Sam when I was at the dealer. He said that while they do sell a good number of their high end pianos to people with large homes in expensive neighborhoods, they also deliver a surprising number to people who live modestly. “It’s all about what you value,” he said. I guess it’s quite reasonable to value a beautiful instrument more than a larger house or more exclusive address. I know it’s true for me, anyway.

Again, I appreciate all the help I got from the posters on PW, both recent and far back. I did many searches on various brands, and the lively discussions that are held in the archives were extremely helpful in my decision. I’ll post some pictures over the weekend!

Nancy

Estonia 168
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations! That is exciting news!

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Originally Posted by NancyM333
One thing I have learned in this search is that I should never have looked at the dealer as my adversary, but more like my partner. We both wanted me to purchase a piano I was happy with, and we both needed to be satisfied with the price.

This is an important and well-stated insight, Nancy, and it's good advice to give every shopper. thumb

Congratulations on your new Estonia!! It's a wonderful piano and I'm sure it will give you and your family a lifetime of joy. I can't think of a better tribute to your parents, and I am confident they would be gladdened by how you chose to use their inheritance to you. heart

thumb
Congrats! Welcome to the family.

Estonia L190-6783
squonk #1156429 03/03/09 11:36 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thurs, huh?

We'll all be anticipating the delivery pics!!!

I, as well, like the thought that our dealer is working with us, not against us. I had many a good experiences.

Until Thurs, happy dreams!

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Congratulation and what a wonderful shopping story. you are destined to the Estonia!

All the best in the new piano and may you enjoy it for many years to come. smile

Hi Nancy,

Congratulations on your new Estonia baby grand! Now, when can I visit and check it out? (Just kidding grin)

I know you and your boys will enjoy it for years to come!

Take care,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Congrats!!!! i am very excited for you! A new piano is always an exciting moment! just enjoy the ride!

Terry C.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, congratulations to you, this is the beginning of a great relationship. Just for the record, I once played 2 Estonia 190s
at a dealership, and they were both blown away by their 168 cousin. I think you will be very, very happy once the beas...eh, beauty is properly installed in your home.

Some men are music lovers. Others make love without it.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congrats Nancy,

A beautiful Estonia 168 one of my favorite pianos.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years to come.

Cordially,

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
Bear 1 #1156576 03/03/09 04:11 PM
One thing I have learned in this search is that I should never have looked at the dealer as my adversary, but more like my partner.

Where such is possible and is actually happening - it will truly be a partnership for life!

Congratulations!!

Norbert smile

Last edited by Norbert; 03/03/09 04:12 PM.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congrats! - can't wait to see the pics! thumb

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
TTigg #1156595 03/03/09 04:34 PM
Congratulations. smile I would love to see pictures.
Angel

Music is in the Heart, not the hands.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Great choice, congratulations!

Dan and Laura Larson
Fazioli and Ibach grands
Larson Piano Studio
http://www.stoneformsart.com/
Originally Posted by NancyM333
One thing I have learned in this search is that I should never have looked at the dealer as my adversary, but more like my partner. We both wanted me to purchase a piano I was happy with, and we both needed to be satisfied with the price. Nancy

i really liked the way you said that. I adore my 168. it's the perfect piano for me.

May you be so happy with yours.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Congratulations ! I am jealous of course (well maybe envious would be a better word grin) as an Estonia has been on my wish list for some time. May you enjoy it for many years to come. Bravo !

Nancy - You have a PM.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
As it was when I purchased my 168, a good dealer doesn't sell you a piano, he helps you buy one.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on a beautiful piano!

S
S
I just picked up a Bluthner (excuse no umlaut on "u")baby grand (6'2"). I had always wanted a grand piano, having played on the same upright Sydney Zender for 53 years. The tone is wonderful.
The piano dealer heard what I was after and he said,"Wat. Don't be in a hurry.I will see you get the right piano.

You wouldn't get this from a car salesman that's for sure.

A few weeks later he told me about a baby grand piano that he just picked in excellent condition. He told me what he wanted and sight unseen I put a deposit.

Fabulous piano. Approximately 1903.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission