2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 37 of 190 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 189 190
Key Notes, I don’t have my music here with me right now but I think I know what you are referring to (or I might be completely off base). I think you have the right idea as far as how the notes are sounded. The fun part comes when you quickly alternate between the high and low notes with each hand. It’s more of a wrist action then a finger action. To start out with you could just play two notes with each hand (1st and 5th fingers) and just keep them going back and forth, then add the additional key to the right hand. Think of a “drum roll” sort of action.

Here’s one clip I found showing how to play a Tremolo with one hand (in a different song): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEvBiwxpids Just do the same thing with both hands, add the extra note, and your all set. smile

Undone

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Key Notes:
Hi, Can someone please tell me how I should be playing the final (ending) chords in the piece "Light and Blue" on pg. 17 as "Tremolo"? I haven't encounter this technique before so I just wanted to make sure that I'm learning it correctly.

I listened to John Frank's example posted on the first page of this thread (very nice btw JF), as well as try to look for some YouTube videos but couldn't find any.

I recognized that they have an illustration at the bottom right hand corner of pg. 17, and it looks like I should be playing the notes seperately, kind of like an Arpeggio style? Except in this case, play the bB and the D at the same time for the right hand, then the E?

And for the left hand, play the low C first, then the high C?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Key Notes smile
Hey Keynotes,
Take a look at this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vO-FeKJtBs&feature=PlayList&p=4686052E0911DF9C&index=64

I've been following Alex's videos a guide for quite a while. He doesn't have 100% of the #2 videos done but I'd say he's got 90% of them smile

Enjoy....

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Out of curiosity: is the final piece Canon in D a simplified version (beginner) or a "modified" version (changed but not necessarily easier) of the original?

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thank you so much Undone and TTigg for your quick replies and informations, I truly appreciate it. I'll have to check them out closely once I get home this evening.

Have a fabulous day!

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
Originally posted by Waltz:
Out of curiosity: is the final piece Canon in D a simplified version (beginner) or a "modified" version (changed but not necessarily easier) of the original?
Waltz, Pachelbel’s Canon in D was not written for piano, so all piano music that you find for it will be a “modified” version. As for whether it’s “simplified” or not, I don’t know how to answer that (maybe someone else does), it’s simpler then some transcriptions I’ve heard but not as simple as others.

Undone

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wow! Undone and TTigg, It's so much fun trying out this new technique. And I was so amused by my beginner's attempts and at the level of difficulties of these new wrists and fingers acrobatics that I was actually laughing at myself while trying it out.

I can get one hand or the other going just fine (the left is a bit better then the right for some strange reason eventhough I'm right handed), but as soon as I try to put them together, everything goes haywire. laugh I know, it's the same story many of you have heard before. Coordination is definitely the key here as well. But by keeping in mind Undone's fabulous instructions on the "drum roll" effect, and that it's more of a wrist action rather than fingers made such a big difference. thumb

I can see why Mrs. Wong would mentioned that it may requires years of practice to perfect, as well as recommended that if your wrists and fingers feels tired, that you should take a break or stop. Eventhough my hands can reach an octave just fine, albeit closer towards the tips of the white keys, my fingers got kind of cramped up. laugh A lot more practice obviously are required before I can find the correct and comfortable hands positions in order for them to be able to relax.

Many thanks once again to you Undone and TTigg, as well as to Yoke Wong and PianoNoobAlexMan for the excellent examples.

Best regards,

Key Notes smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Alex's videos are an invaluable reference and he is a talented player. However, the tempo in his performances tends to be fast. Of course, there are many valid ways of interpreting music but I would not feel obligated to consistently play at his speed. I just finished up Introduction and dance and I played the beginning portion (marked adagio) at a much slower pace than did he.

When I was on Light and Blue I also viewed his video as an example of tremolo; he does it well.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Finally got my "pass" on Battle Hym (phew) those switches between hands were challenging for sure!

cool

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congrats TTig, you are very talented. When you say "pass" do you mean your intructor's or your own?

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Waltz:
Congrats TTig, you are very talented. When you say "pass" do you mean your intructor's or your own?
My teacher Elena smile

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
Hello everyone! This is my first post in this forum! Sorry my bad english, but this is not my primary language. I'm a very and very beginner starting in November 2008!! I study piano in 1993 but only for some months.

I'm using Leila Fletcher book 2 with my teatcher and other braziliam book from Mario Mascarenhas called "Duas maozinhas no teclado" (Two litle hands on the keyboard" - this title is hilarious, hehe). This is a two good books but, after reading some posts here I decide try Alfreds Book 2 and I order it on Amazon!!!!

I think this wonderfull study method! I upload the "Down The Valley" and apreciate your comments!!

http://www.youtube.com/rwvaldivia
tks a lot!

Real difficulties can be solved. Only imaginary difficulties ones you can't.
Hello rwvaldivia and welcome to the forum! When I read your post I was wondering why you decided to skip over Alfred’s Book 1 and go right to Book 2. Then I watched your youtube piece and understood why. Great job, and after only four months!

One small thing I picked up on (and I don’t have the music here in front of me right now); there are a few places where you are playing the same note with the right hand twice. I think these may be tied and the note should only be sounded once. It’s just in a few of measures, if you listen to the version of this piece that is posted on page one of this thread, I think you’ll hear what I’m talking about.

You’re making fantastic progress in a very short amount of time. I look forward to hearing more.

Undone

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome rwvaldivia. Nice performance of Down in the Valley. I think Bridal Chorus is next; lovely piece wink .

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome to the dark side smile

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome rwvaldivia. I'm a beginner who have just recently started with book 2 myself. I enjoyed listening to your performance of "Down the Valley".

Best of luck to you.

Key Notes smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by TTigg:
Welcome to the dark side smile
laugh

Hey!! Hello!! tks for your comments!

Undone: you are right! I'm playing some notes twice. Now I work to solve this! tks so much to your comment! But about my progress I think this is just a luck. Down the Valley have the same patterns what I study with my teacher, them it's was simple. Is true I'm very obstinate. I pratice every day 2 hours after my work. My wife say: "thus you go to have a tendinite soon" hehe... My answer is: "no pain, no gain" smile

Waltz: I don't know if Bridal Chorus is the next. I still did not receive my book. I'm studing with the samples (Amazon show the first pages to the some books, and I download them). But I'm studing it now, very slow. It's hard to me smile

TTig: tks! hei, nobody said that this is the dark side! hehehe

Key Notes: realy do you start the book 2 too? Cool... If you have a mp3 or video on-line I would like to see/listen smile

Brazilian hugs to all!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome back.

[Linked Image]
Anyone know explain what diference in "Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 " and "Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course, All-In-One, Level 2" ?!?!?!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
rwvaldivia,

I have never actually flipped through the Basic edition (I use the All-In-One) but I have read other's descriptions of it and from what I have surmised it is shorter in length with fewer pieces and lacks the theory aspect that makes the All-in-One a true All-In-One package. If I am wrong someone please correct me smile .

BTW. I am on "Calypso Carnival" now. After "Intro and Dance" there was a streak of easier pieces (mostly in G major/E minor). However, Calypso Carnival is not easy and is in D major (two accidentals).

[Linked Image]
Page 37 of 190 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission