2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
193866 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hello Sandy B here ...a member...I posted this on Non-classical too. What I am wondering is do most of you improv Big Band? As creative people I would think you would if you have the desire. Not certain though. Input from you please? I would call myself an intermediate Big Band improv pianist. What should I do to progress at 68 years old to a more advanced level? I entertain at my assisted living for the other residents and they so love Big Band. I want to improve for them too...Sandy B...Thank you in advance for your input.

Sandra M. Boletchek 08/02/06
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I used to play piano for a Big Band, and yes it was all improvised. It was really a lloooonnnggg time ago, but it was a load of fun.

The best way I found to improve was, to just do more and more and more of it. Learning scales adn a bit of theory helped me too - so I knew chords and could manage arpeggios easily.

Enjoy yourself!

John
193866 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Dear John, So happy to hear you played improv piano with a band. Thank you and the more and more is great advice, I do know basic theory and chords and arpeggios . I will do the more and more. Thank you again, Sandy B

Hi Sandy. A good book for just voicing jazz chords is "Voicings for Jazz Keyboard" by Frank Mantooth. It is pretty heavy on the Theory side of things, but if you can understand all of that stuff, it will give you some cool four and five note voicings for any given chord (e.g. D7#9#5, etc.)

As far as just improving a melody while the band is playing the chords, etc., you might check out the improvisation series by Jamie Aebersold. There are many volumes of his CD's and they are set up where you hear the rhythm section while you create melodies. He also includes charts in his books that show how certain scales may be used as melodic material while certain chords are playing. These "chord/scale" relationships are vital to understand if your solos are to make sense and match the sounds of the song you are improvising over.

Good luck!

193866 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Sandy B. here...Thank you so much for this information. I just printed so I can refer to your input. Jamie Aebersold series will be looked into and I love the Mantooth referral too. I think I know enough to follow both books. I will try. Thank you again.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission