2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
dave18 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Well, it looks like we've got a consensus. I sure am glad that's resolved! smile

Actually, this whole discussion gives me a much better idea as to how people view the whole thing. Songwriting is composing, but there are definitely repetitive songs out there that don't "feel" very composed.

Chris, I like your definition of a "Composer" with a capital "C". Had me in tears. Especially the part about the hair. smile

Also, I've heard talk of some pieces being "just" a backdrop for the vocals. But isn't the human voice an instrument as well? In pop music it's typically the lead instrument, but well sung vocals follow a progression of notes and typically make a melody. Would a piece be somehow more "composed" if a piano or flute progressed through those same notes instead of a human voice?

It really does seem like there's a "feel" factor here. Maybe we could get a US Supreme Court justice to determine what's "composed" for us: "I know it when I hear it." smile

dave

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by currawong:
OK, but I still don't think that somewhere (at what point??) along the simple-complex line a piece turns into a composition and its writer into a composer. smile
i guess that you understand that i didn't say it in theoritical or technical term, in which composing means either song writing or instrumental music composing. but whenever people say 'song writing' it usaully refers to 'writing music for songs', and some people do it for living and call themselves as song writers. but those composers who compose mostly instrumental works would never call themselve a song writer, even if they'd write songs or even art songs sometimes.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by dave18:
But isn't the human voice an instrument as well?

dave
Indeed it is. smile In fact it's often claimed that the voice is the premier instrument and that it's the one that humans most instinctively respond to. It certainly has an amazing range of qualities and capbilities. Much to the annoyance of those of us who sing like wounded dogs, it's always the singer who gets their face and name on the front of the album cover, and who demands - and gets - the centre stage spotlight.

One of the huge benefits of overcoming our natural reluctance to inflict our vocal emanations on the world, and actually do a bit of singing practice, is that you can then effectively play two instruments at once. This doubles the fun, but probably at least trebles the effects that you can create with your performance.

I would pay very good money for more playing ability, but I would kill for a better voice... mad

Cheers,

Chris
(Sorry, I lost my composure there for a moment.... wink )

Who needs feet of clay? I can get into enough trouble with feet made of regular foot stuff...
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by signa:
i guess that you understand that i didn't say it in theoritical or technical term, in which composing means either song writing or instrumental music composing. but whenever people say 'song writing' it usaully refers to 'writing music for songs', and some people do it for living and call themselves as song writers. but those composers who compose mostly instrumental works would never call themselve a song writer, even if they'd write songs or even art songs sometimes.
Yes, I get where you are now, signa, and I agree. The problem with this thread is probably that we're discussing two things at the same time - what words have come to mean in some contexts, and what concepts mean overall. But it's been fun smile .

Du holde Kunst...
D
dave18 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Chris,
Originally posted by Late Beginner:
I would kill for a better voice...
LOL! You and me both! smile Actually, I think I can see the writing on the wall. Even though I can't sing, if I plan on writing lyrics, I think I'm going to have to sing some of them, especially if I write one of those songs where the lyrics carry the melody. Yikes! That's a scary prospect!

But wait, could there be hope... I know when I sing in a room with a vaulted ceiling, it sounds better than in a closed room, and in the shower it sounds even better. And a karaoke mike sounds better than a normal mike. So, with reverb and echo... is there software out there to modify the voice enough to get someone who can't sing through a pop/rock song without killing everyone? smile

OK, back to my piano. smile
dave

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Actually, I think I can see the writing on the wall. Even though I can't sing, if I plan on writing lyrics, I think I'm going to have to sing some of them, especially if I write one of those songs where the lyrics carry the melody. Yikes! That's a scary prospect!
smile
dave
Go for it Dave! laugh

Very few people actually can't sing. If you can croak out Happy Birthday or Twinkle Twinkle Little Star then you can sing. The rest is practice and polish, just like any instrument.

The only mistake is imagining that if you can't sing naturally and immediately then you're doomed to always be bad. None of us expect to be instantly good at any other instrument. The great thing about voice is that you've always got your instrument with you, and can practice hands-free as you drive, or wherever.

As you've suggested, there are many tricks in the effects box that can enhance the vocal qualities of your voice. Many singers have their voices tweaked through the equipment, even on 'live' gigs. But I'm guessing you know that - you'd just like the 'Instant Sinatra' module...

I also fancy myself at having a bash at songwriting. Here's an early attempt. As you can tell I'm not faking either the lousy singing, or the deeply mediocre playing. But it suits the theme of the song. And most of all I swallowed my pride, and fears and DID it!

Perfectionist Beginner Blues

Good luck with your singing, composing and songwriting.

Cheers,

Chris

Who needs feet of clay? I can get into enough trouble with feet made of regular foot stuff...
D
dave18 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Chris!

I don't even know what to say. I've got a big old grin on my face! I love your lyrics... they are great! And so appropriate! Wow... well, with the encouragement, and that song... how could I not sing? smile Honestly, I love what you've done with that. It just goes to show that sometimes you just need to push forward, no matter what. Wow. I don't know what else to say, except that I'm going to sing. smile

Good luck with your singing, composing and songwriting.
Thank you! And you too! I plan on hanging around this board, so I hope you don't mind if I ask you from time to time how your singing is going. smile

dave <-- also with the can't sing blues smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It just goes to show that sometimes you just need to push forward, no matter what. Wow. I don't know what else to say, except that I'm going to sing. smile
We have a pact then mate. Race you to the top of the charts... laugh

Chris

D
dave18 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
We have a pact then mate. Race you to the top of the charts...
LOL! You got it, man! A pact it is! Oh, and let the race begin! smile

dave

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
currawong wrote:
What I wouldn't do is what my son's recently completed high school English course insisted on - that is, calling anyone who created any piece of work such as a novel, a film, a poem ... a composer - as in "the composer of this text..." ! Talk about blurring the meaning of words!
Actually, that's a perfectly valid use of the word. While "composer" is most popularly/typically used to refer to someone who composes music, there's nothing specifically musical about the etymology of the word, which comes from the Latin “componere,” meaning to combine, put together or arrange objects. One can compose any type of work from a painting or photograph to a sonnet or essay. (Which helps to explain why many academic writing classes are called "English Composition" or something similar.) So, odd as it may sound to a musician, referring to the composer of a poem, etc. is correct.

Thanks by the way for the etymological exercise. I like looking up the derivation/meaning of words.

smile

Deborah
Charles Walter 1500
Happiness is a shiny red piano.
[Linked Image]
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by piano_deb:
So, odd as it may sound to a musician, referring to the composer of a poem, etc. is correct.
Correct perhaps, but confusing. Well actually, not so much confusing as not specific enough for me. I do find that language is getting more and more general, and in so doing is not as bright and vivid as it could be. Anyway, son is pleased to be finished with English and is heading off to uni to study his first love, science smile .

Du holde Kunst...
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi,

I think that this is more a matter of accepted common usage and personal preference than ‘correctness’ as such.

The words composer and composition have a wide range of uses, but they don’t always go hand in hand.

For instance, we might talk about the ‘composition’ of a painting, but we wouldn’t then talk about the role of the composer – we’d say ‘artist’ or ‘painter’. Similarly we might argue about the composition of a football team but we’d hardly call for the ‘composer’ to be sacked – we’d just say that whoever picked the team got it wrong.

If I got angry and lost my ‘composure’ most people would accept it if I said that I needed to go outside for a moment or two and compose myself. But some might giggle at that and find it a slightly quaint way to put it. There’s no hard and fast rules based on the original derivation of a word.

It’s perfect usual to refer to essays, poems and the like as ‘compositions’ but most people would expect their creators to be referred to as ‘authors’, ‘writers’, ‘poets’ or a number of other possibilities before ‘composers’. It might be technically not a mis-use, but it would still sound odd to many people. Depending on the area in question, you may find 'composition' widely used yet the verb form 'to compose' more rarely, and 'composer' not at all.

However, common usage changes constantly, so if a word gets used often enough in a certain way, then – like it or not – that’s what it comes to mean. Some words that we use today started out historically meaning the exact opposite of what we use them to mean now.

Cheers,

Chris

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
There’s no hard and fast rules based on the original derivation of a word.
Good points, Chris, and interesting. I would actually refer to the "composition" of a photograph, but I would be meaning "the putting of this object here on the left and balancing it with this other thing over there", not the act of clicking the shutter. And i would definitely call its creator a photographer and not a composer, just for clarity's sake. Maybe "creator" is the general all-purpose word I'd prefer to the English course's "composer".

Du holde Kunst...
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi again,

Here's another example. I might talk about the 'composition' of a chemical compound. I might even say "it is 'composed of'... " but I'd probably be unlikely to say "Im off to compose a new compound..." or refer to somebody who did as a 'composer'.

No real reason, except that we don't usually use the words that way. wink

Actually, there is a reason. smile English is an unusually mongrel language that has absorbed words from all over the place - Latin, Greek, French, German, Scandinavian languages, even from India, China, America, etc, etc. So we have an unusually large number of synonyms and alternatives to choose from. And we have a habit of switching from one form or usage to another in a way that must be completely baffling to non English speakers.... laugh

Chris

Recommended reading: Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson. A very readable book on the development and use of the English language. thumb

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Maybe "creator" is the general all-purpose word I'd prefer to the English course's "composer".
I'm with you on that one too. smile

I've done a fair bit of writing over the years, including co-authoring manuals, occasional poetry, song lyrics, work for the theatre, odds and ends for newspapers, etc. But I never thought of myself as the 'composer' of any of it - just the writer. However, the beauty of having so many options in English is that you can also employ less used words to add a bit of extra meaning, such as in: "I'll have to compose a suitably apologetic letter to the Board.." or "I've been asked to compose an ode to Councillor Blowhard on the occasion of his retirement"... In that case, you'd normally use 'write', but 'compose' adds a touch of slightly tongue in cheek seriousness to the process. Maybe they just thought that calling them 'composers' made the course sound a bit grander than it really was?

Gotta love English though.... thumb

Cheers,

Chris

B
B
[b] for me:
writing music = composing
one who writes music (of any sort) = composer
music which is composed = composition
composition which is sung (solo or small group) = song
one who writes songs (of any sort) = songwriter. Or composer, depending on the context. I'm happy to call Schubert a songwriter!
For me too! thumb

And, incidentally, for any dictionary that you'd care to consult as well. wink

Where the personal opinions, bunfights and general snootiness comes in is when you capitalise it and start talking about Composers with a capital C.

Rough Rules of Thumb for Recognising Composers:

1. Dead (the deader the better). During his lifetime Puccini was probably regarded as a popular tunesmith - much like Andrew Lloyd Webber - but he is unquestionably dead enough now to be revered as a Composer. As a long time fan of Opera By Dead People, I can assure everybody that much of it was as corny and awful in its day as anything modern (and if you remove the veneer of deadness respectability, much of it still is. eek ).

2. Serious. No jingle writers, penners of pub tunes, or dirty limerick merchants please.

3. Extra points for bizarre hair and/or episodes of madness or angst.

I am a composer (small c). I have created and written music. I can even (grammatically correctly) claim to have composed the odd thoughtful letter (usually asking for something). However I'm definitely not a Composer (but check the obituary columns, I'm not getting any younger... :p )

Cheers,

Chris [/b]
Ahah, that made my very short day.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I consider myself a composer/songwriter.

A "song" is only one kind of composition. If you only write songs, then you're a songwriter or a “composer of songs”.

If however, you write instrumental music, you're a composer.

If you wear both hats, you're a composer/ songwriter.

At least that's how I see it.

Best, John

Stop analyzing; just compose the damn thing!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,193
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission