2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (fullerphoto, admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
193866 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hello... I am asking this to various forums of Piano World... If you were Mozart right now... and... you heard someone play your famous favorite piano composition you composed yourself... as Mozart...
They were very good... but.. it was not at all as you intended it to be played ... yet... you knew this indeed was your composition...What are you thinking now as Mozart?
I would be so happy ...as Mozart ...that after all these years... my compositions still inspire a pianist to be creative...Sandy B

Sandra M. Boletchek 08/02/06
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I'd be very happy that someone else was playing my music, and I'd also be very interested to hear the pianist's own interpretation.

I already know how I interpret my music. What I want to know is how do other musicians interpret my music.

Sam
193866 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Dear pianojerome...Me too...The same if I created a masterpiece painting and someone copied mine and made changes that were pleasing... Why not? Most of us love being mentors in the art world...For years towards the end,35 years, of my interior decorating vocation I loved taking new people under my wing...an honor for me when they were talented...To copy or imitate is the ultimate compliment? I heard this somewhere years ago... Sandy B

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Having arranged a few things myself, I do not like it when people screw it up and play it not at all as I intended.

Maybe if I was Mozart I'd see it differently, but I doubt it.

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
not completely sure what you mean by 'not intended it to be played'. You mean a piece you're written to be played slowly is played at superfast speed? Or a baroque-style piece is played with Romantic-rubato? I guess it would annoy me if the music had a particular emotional attachment for me (like I'd written a piece commemorating a dear friend and it's played ragtime style) but otherwise, interpretaion is an essential part of musical performance so I'm always happy to hear other people perform my compositions and hear what they do with them.

I once made a complete mess of this though - I was conducting a choir performing a short work, the composer of that work was singing in the choir. For some reason I was very nervous, and the piece slowed down and down and down, lurching from beat to beat. Yuck. I learnt a lot from that experienec.

John
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by pianojerome:
I'd be very happy that someone else was playing my music, and I'd also be very interested to hear the pianist's own interpretation.

I already know how I interpret my music. What I want to know is how do other musicians interpret my music.

I will be pleased that they still play my music.

Kawai ES-110

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is never enough for music."
-Sergei Rachmaninoff.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Example.

I wrote a short piece this summer. It was inspired by Arabic coffee-grinding, and so I play it very quickly. However, several people who have heard it (my mother included) have suggested playing it much more slowly - my mom says it reminds her of camels moping along in the desert. So, slow camels or fast coffee grinding: either way, I don't mind. I personally play it rather quickly, and that is how I initially 'intended' it, but it would not bother me at all if someone played it slowly to evoke images of camels. In fact, I think it would sound very nice played slowly, too.

Sam
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I would be...surprised at first, and be very honored and complimented that someone would play my piece still, after all the years. And I would be impressed.

Because they would have the GUTS to add their heart and soul to my song.

"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable." -Leonard Bernstein
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
If I were Mozart today aged 250 or so, I would be so overwhelmed by the fantastic pianos we have, compared to what I had used to compose on. And that I could see and hear the other composers work that followed me since my untimely death.

Alan

193866 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Alan, Really... I am still laughing...I love English humor...Enjoyed your post...Sandy B.

E
ecm Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I often question myself: Will Mozart understand todays music, or the 20th century great genius' music?

How will Mozart react after hearing Prokofiev 3rd piano concerto?
or
How will Mozart react after hearing Prokofiev 3rd piano concerto on iPod? smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If Mozart came back from the dead today (the proper way, not like a zombie) I think he'd ditch the piano and pick up a nice computer. The computer is the most interesting musical instrument to be invented in a long time, and certainly someone like Mozart would want to push it to its limitations. Which is probably heresy on a piano forum, but that's what I would do if I were Mozart coming back from the dead. smile

D
D
I would say: "cities have become chaotic and people dress funny"
And why is everyone so fascinated about old-fashioned music anyway?? we didn't play ricercares and medieval chants so often back then.
anyway, I thought Beethoven would write at least a couple of dozen symphonies... I died young and wrote 68 (yes I've been writing already since I came back from the dead)

"You are what you listen to..."
I think it would be different as Debussy or Chopin rather than Mozart or Haydn if you know what I mean. Mozart's music can be dual-used as a metronome where as Debussy or Chopin/Liszt is almost all rubato. Chopin would be furious, Mozart would be satisfied with SOMEONE's version of his songs.

Plus, Mozart was a giggly, happy, fun party animal.

If I would spend a lot of energy on each and every note and work a piece to absolute perfection I would probably completely and utterly enraged if I'd hear someone play it even slightly differently. I'd probably much rather have them write their own tunes and leave mine alone.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I just sang in the requiem and the Trombone solo on Tuba Mirim had big time problems on it...

I don't think Mozart would have been happy with what happened but perhaps he'd have felt bad for the poor fellow who was playing his heart out in rehersals and hitting it ... only to have the solo go awry in the actual concert.

It is not an easy solo btw for a trombone player (trombone is the sacred instrument in the Mozart Requiem). Accidents happen.

I have my own weapon of mass destruction in the form of a "teenage" German Shepherd. Anything she spies and can get ahold of is fair game.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission