2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (brennbaer, Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, bobrunyan, 14 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1151221 07/05/06 09:35 PM
OP Offline
What is a piece of software that allows me to write for instruments that are transposed? Like, if I were writing a piece in Bb major, and I want to see an Eb alto sax part in G major but have it play in Bb major? Or a Bb trumpet part be seen in C major? Thanks.

OP Offline
Nevermind, I found Finale.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Finale is a great program, but don't ever forget about Sibelius. If you can ever afford the upgrade you will very glad you did.

I use Sibelius, my piano teacher uses Finale. From what I can see both programs do everything most of us would need. Would be kinda weird to play a cheap digital piano so you can afford a $700 notation program. laugh

T
T
I use Finale but yes NEVER butt sibelius out. But, as Arjen said never choose software over a new piano. Sibelius offers a little bit more than Finale but is more expensive.

Tyler Menzel
Student pianist, flautist. Composer, and conductor.
Tenor voice for the Opera Grand Rapids Chorus.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Sibelius is a lot to splash out on I agree, so obviously if you cant afford it or you dont want to compromise on a crappy piano then put it off. But don't forget it completely. I have used both extensively, and have found Sibelius to be superior in almost every aspect.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Both Finale and Sibelius are good. Notion (http://www.notionmusic.com/) has also been making waves lately - the performance side of it is particularly good.

Usually when people ask me for suggestions, I tell them to get Allegro or PrintMusic. 99% of the people on the planet will, quite simply, never need all the advanced features of Finale and Sibelius, so the lighter versions of Finale are a much better value for most people.

That being said, I actually prefer Sibelius and do all my own work with it, but Sibelius doesn't currently offer a budget or light version (except for students - the new student edition is great.)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I am looking for recording/mixing/composing type software. As you can tell by me trying to describe what I am looking for, I'm not a techy. That's the problem! Currently I have a Yamaha AW12 muli-track digital recorder. It is the most frustrating thing to operate! I am looking for a recording program that is user-friendly where I can loop EASILY, delete tracks, EASILY, and Punch in and out what I want, EASILY. Is there such a computer program or devise that will allow my creativity to flow?!
Have any ideas?

Private Piano Teacher,
member MTNA and Piano Basics Foundation
N
N
Originally posted by bruce-san:
I have used both extensively, and have found Sibelius to be superior in almost every aspect.
Sib beats Finale.... but only just.

Naomi R. McFadyen
www.devilishpublishing.co.uk
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF FINALE HAS THE CHORD THE FEATURE OF ADDING CHORD SYMBOLS LIKE SIBELIUS?

Jazzman
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF FINALE HAS THE FEATURE OF ADDING CHORD SYMBOLS LIKE SIBELIUS?

Jazzman
Yes. It's on page 65 of the tutorial book for version 2006. If you have an earlier version, just check the index.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
UHHH...PAGE 65 TALKS ABOUT SPEEDY ENTRY

Jazzman
I have the tutorial book for version 2006 right in front of me. Half way down page 65 it says "Chord Symbols" in bold print. It's an entire tutorial on how to use the Chord Symbol tool.

Like I said...check the index if you have the book. Otherwise, take my word for it, it is very easy to do chord symbols in Finale.

www.pianoped.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For what it's worth, I've been using ScoreWriter 4 from GenieSoft. It's only $59 and right now it does everything I want from a notation package. It probably doesn't stack up to Finale or Sibelius, and I'm not sure if it will do what the OP asked, but if you're short on money it's worth looking into.

I have purchased both Finale and Sebelius, and there is no comparison in the "ease of use" between the two programs. Get Sebalius! Finale is just too difficult to use. Sebalius is much more intuituitive and contains the same power, or more, in the compositional tools.

I have purchased both Finale and Sebelius, and there is no comparison in the "ease of use" between the two programs. Get Sebalius! Finale is just too difficult to use. Sebalius is much more intuituitive and contains the same power, or more, in the compositional tools.
Finale is just too difficult to learn!

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Everyone I know uses Sibelius...they say that it is really great.

Me? I'm not quite sure, but I haven't really tried my hand at composition yet. I'm planning to, most definitely, but the standard way:

Writing it down on manuscript paper.

Good luck!

"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable." -Leonard Bernstein

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission