2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1150569 03/11/06 11:28 PM
OP Offline
Hello, there. This is my first post. I am an amateur composer in Japan. A person who was interested in my composition kindly referred to this forum and suggested to post my music.

Eternal River

Any suggestions or comments will be very much appreciated. Thanks. smile

Jun Yamamoto
MIDI JAZZ TOKYO
http://homepage2.nifty.com/yamamoto_jun/e/
#1150570 03/12/06 01:58 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Do you also have the sheet music of it?

Kawai ES-110

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is never enough for music."
-Sergei Rachmaninoff.
#1150571 03/13/06 12:02 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by lol_nl:
Do you also have the sheet music of it?
No. Though I have messy memo for the music even I myself cannot read it now. laugh

Jun Yamamoto
MIDI JAZZ TOKYO
#1150572 03/13/06 04:42 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Its very suited for film.

#1150573 03/13/06 05:03 AM
OP Offline
snap_apple,

Thank you for your comment. I imagined a story of a reunion of lovers over hundreds of years by a river which runs unchanged.

Jun Yamamoto
MIDI JAZZ TOKYO
#1150574 03/13/06 10:06 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Very very nice music! Very tranquille and soothing.

If you ever publish this work of yours let me know.

#1150575 03/14/06 12:22 AM
OP Offline
Thank you for your warm comment. When I find time to make sheet music of it, I will certainly post it here.

Jun Yamamoto
MIDI JAZZ TOKYO
#1150576 03/16/06 04:22 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm an 'adult beginner' when it comes to music, so I can't offer any advice - all I will say is I thought that was a fantastic piece of music! I very much enjoy orchestrated 'movie' music, and your piece certainly had me listening hard for the 6 minutes. It was beautiful!

Keep up the great work!!

Euan.

#1150577 03/16/06 04:37 PM

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Very pretty, though also a bit sad; I saw it less as a reunion between lovers (which I would've thought would result in a happier melody) but instead as the story of two lovers kept apart by forces beyond their control.

A lot of amazing music is coming out of Japan these days, e.g., anime scores. Your piece sounds like it could also easily fit in that genre.

#1150578 03/16/06 07:28 PM
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Jun Yamamoto:
snap_apple,

Thank you for your comment. I imagined a story of a reunion of lovers over hundreds of years by a river which runs unchanged.
*chuckles* Now I can't say what I was going to say....

I suppose I'll say this instead: The overall theme sounds almost perfect for a very specific scene in a novel I'm writing. (Actually, it could work very well for two linked scenes.)

However, there are some moments where the orchestration seems a bit 'heavy' and a little overbearing (bad word... "blocky"), given how light and moving the piano part is.

Still, I couldn't help but picture that one scene listening to the piece...so good job! I think you got what you intended out of it....

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
#1150579 03/16/06 11:51 PM
OP Offline
Euan,

Thank you very much for your kind and warm words. It is very encouraging. Certainly I will be back if I come up with something new.

Sincerely,

Jun Yamamoto
MIDI JAZZ TOKYO
#1150580 03/16/06 11:55 PM
OP Offline
Thank you, Monica.

I agree that putting a bit sad music behind even a happy ending is typically Japanese smile

Some of anime scores are very well written recently so that I am very glad to hear your comment.

Sincerely,

Jun Yamamoto
MIDI JAZZ TOKYO
#1150581 03/17/06 12:03 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Derulux:
However, there are some moments where the orchestration seems a bit 'heavy' and a little overbearing (bad word... "blocky"), given how light and moving the piano part is.
Thank you, Derulux, for your kind comment.

I will once again review the sequence with your comment in mind. I would be much appreciative if you could kindly point out specific or typical "blocky" part of music. Maybe the part where the piano plays big arpeggio? Is the strings too thick?

Sincerely,

Jun Yamamoto
MIDI JAZZ TOKYO
#1150582 03/17/06 01:45 AM
Kam Offline
I can see why u name the song river because I definitely feel the flow of river at 4:00 of the song. Fantastic technique!
Also, I can hear a second melody on your accompany hand (left), that sounds amazing. (Im learning that technique)

There is one little comment:
At the beginning, dont repeat the theme for more than 2 times.

This song is great and I think some1 will buy your song if you do the music business.

Do you mind teaching me how to make the feeling of river flow. That's one of the techniques I want to learn.

"Bass creates motion" - David Lanz
#1150583 03/17/06 06:48 AM
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Jun Yamamoto:
[b]Originally posted by Derulux:
Thank you, Derulux, for your kind comment.

I will once again review the sequence with your comment in mind. I would be much appreciative if you could kindly point out specific or typical "blocky" part of music. Maybe the part where the piano plays big arpeggio? Is the strings too thick?

Sincerely, [/b]
You know, I'd have to listen to it again... but I remember nearly every spot where "all the instruments" came in I felt like it was just too much for what the piece is. It could just be me, though.

(You might want to keep a balance that brings out the piano more in those sections, just so it doesn't "slip away" and disappear...I think that's when you lose the "flowing" sense the most.)

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
#1150584 03/17/06 07:57 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Derulux:
You know, I'd have to listen to it again... but I remember nearly every spot where "all the instruments" came in I felt like it was just too much for what the piece is. It could just be me, though.

(You might want to keep a balance that brings out the piano more in those sections, just so it doesn't "slip away" and disappear...I think that's when you lose the "flowing" sense the most.)
Certainly I notice in some moments the piano is "buried" in other instruments and it might give the sense of losing the "flowing". I have to refine the orchestration.

Thank you very much for your advices.

Sincerely,

Jun Yamamoto
MIDI JAZZ TOKYO
#1150585 03/17/06 08:10 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by KAM:
I can see why u name the song river because I definitely feel the flow of river at 4:00 of the song. Fantastic technique!
Also, I can hear a second melody on your accompany hand (left), that sounds amazing. (Im learning that technique)
4:00 is a combination of arpeggio of piano and melody by strings. Though I am not sure which part you refer to as the "second melody", the strings are playing a quasi-canon. (2nd part chasing the last half of the 1st part melody.)

There is one little comment:
At the beginning, dont repeat the theme for more than 2 times.
I have to admit this rather lengthy tune is based on one simple and short melody. So that it is natural to feel it is too repetitive though I tried best to make audience not bored... In the beginning, the idea was repeated twice with the up scale in the end, then a different idea comes in, but it is followed again the idea twice, this second time repetition may be omitted.

Do you mind teaching me how to make the feeling of river flow. That's one of the techniques I want to learn.
Not at all. I think the feeling comes from the arpeggio. The piano plays a fast passage but it is simply repetition of 3 notes, such as a, c, and e. (A moll chord). You can play with both hands, like a, c, e, a, c, e, a, swiftly then you will change your hands position one octave above then repeat the same. I hope it works for you too.

Thank you very much for your comments.

Sincerely,

Jun Yamamoto
MIDI JAZZ TOKYO
#1150586 03/17/06 11:34 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm just an amateur, so you can take this with a grain of salt. It is extrememly pretty and relaxing. Before I read your description of what you were thinking in writing it, I even could imagine standing by a calm, tranquil flowing stream in a forest.
I hear a constant rhythmical arpeggio pattern throughout the piece which is pretty, but have you considered varying that perhaps in the middle of the piece. - Say the arpeggio pattern at the beginning, then something that aids in getting a little more intense in the middle like some harmonic blocked chords in an interesting varied rhythm while in keeping with the smooth flow, and then back to the arppeggio pattern at the end. I kept waiting to here some variation along the way from the arpeggio. I heard a lot of good variety with the other instruments that were brought in. It sounds overall really nice.

I was just curious, what sofware do you use for composing? What did you use for recording? Did you play the piano yourself for the recording? The piano playing sounds wonderful! The recording sounds really good too!

#1150587 03/17/06 01:09 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by sarabande:
I hear a constant rhythmical arpeggio pattern throughout the piece which is pretty, but have you considered varying that perhaps in the middle of the piece. - Say the arpeggio pattern at the beginning, then something that aids in getting a little more intense in the middle like some harmonic blocked chords in an interesting varied rhythm while in keeping with the smooth flow, and then back to the arppeggio pattern at the end. I kept waiting to here some variation along the way from the arpeggio. I heard a lot of good variety with the other instruments that were brought in. It sounds overall really nice.

I was just curious, what sofware do you use for composing? What did you use for recording? Did you play the piano yourself for the recording? The piano playing sounds wonderful! The recording sounds really good too!
Thank you, sarabande, for your kind words. Yes, some rhythmical variation could be added, I agree. It will give the theme a different expression.

Here is my gear list:

Sequencer: SONAR 2.2 XL
All the sounds were generated by Garritan Personal Orchestra including piano and exported as a .wav file directly from SONAR.
The mp3 encoder was "lame". The recording has been done partially by my playing MIDI keyboard real time and the rest by step note input.

Sincerely,

Jun Yamamoto
MIDI JAZZ TOKYO
#1150588 03/17/06 01:58 PM
Kam Offline
are u able to do this recording live?

thanks for helping by the way

"Bass creates motion" - David Lanz
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission