2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
dave18 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hello all!

I'm currently working on a piece that I'm also trying to score. As far as playing a series of "rolling" eighth notes with my left hand is concerned, I've got two basic techniques to choose from:

(1) Use my fingers to keep the notes held down longer, or (2) be lazy and use the pedal. I know I should not use the pedal for this, but when using the sequencing software to help me produce a score, I noticed that using the pedal produces a "cleaner" looking score:

http://www.mediafire.com/?xmyzkdzlghe

Since this is fairly basic stuff here (yes, I'm still trying to get the hang of all this), my inclination is to notate using the eighth notes without any pedaling information. Would that be the way to go, or is there another way to notate this?

Thanks for any help... the score always proves to be difficult for me.

dave

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Option 2 is best. Using the pedal isn't lazy, it's there for a reason!

Something to do is to keep scores around that are similar to what you're writing and refer to them. Try to find scores published by established publishers and follow the same conventions - that will ensure that your scores can be read by a wide audience.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
D
dave18 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Using the pedal isn't lazy, it's there for a reason!
LOL! I didn't mean that it's *always* lazy to use, I just thought it was in this case since it's also going to affect the notes I'm playing in my right hand. But, I'm happy to hear what you are saying because it certainly is a lot easier (for me at least) to use the pedal here.

I know for recording it's not that big of a deal because I can always put the left hand on one track and the right on another. But with regards to a score and a human player, I just wanted to know what was more acceptable.

Try to find scores published by established publishers and follow the same conventions
That's a really good idea. I'll be looking out for one like this.

Thanks a lot for you input!
dave

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I agree that using the pedal isn't 'laziness', but it IS 'different' from legato. Is there a compelling reason you've notated in 4/8? You may get a cleaner look with 2/4.

PTG Associate Member

"There is always room above; there is only the ground below."....F.E. Morton (with props to Del F.)
D
dave18 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Is there a compelling reason you've notated in 4/8? You may get a cleaner look with 2/4.
Actually, now that I think about it, it was a fairly uncompelling reason: the baseline consists of four eighth notes per measure. That's it. I was going to revisit this issue later, but now that you bring it up, let me revisit it now.

I want the first eighth note in each measure to get the stress, so 2/4 would accomplish that, right? It would be:

*1* and 2 and

Whereas in 4/8, the first note gets stressed, but the third note gets some additional stress as well:

*1* 2 *3* 4

OK, so it looks like 2/4 is actually what I want to use. Why did this seem so difficult before?

Thanks for bringing that up. Of course, if there are any errors in my logic here, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks again,
dave

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission