2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#1149653 04/10/06 12:34 AM
OP Offline
I really appriciate the feedback. As far as being a prodigy, like I've already said, I think people took that comment a little too seriously, which is because of my over-zealousness in bragging about his composing. And I'm not offended about anyone's skeptism.

He likes to make interesting chord progressions and doesn't like the I-IV-V (says it's boring). Of course, when he wrote his first song he didn't even know what that meant. He likes ones like I-IV-VI-V for example.

I recorded some of his music this weekend, just with garage band and my laptop's mic so it's not that great of quality. I've never put music online before, so can anyone tell me where to go to post it.

Also, like I said I think he has great composing skill, but his piano skills aren't currently the greatest, so keep that in mind. He is starting to take composing more seriously and is actually practicing scales.

In response to some questions, Cameron's perfect pitch is developing. He can name the pitch, (not the exact frequency, but he never even learned those) to our piano with close to 100% accuracy without listening to anything beforehand and is probably 70% accurate with other instruments, but improving.

#1149654 04/10/06 01:10 AM
Kam Offline
send the mp3 to my email
mckchun@yahoo.com.hk

I am defintely willing to host those songs for you

GO AHEAD AND SEND THEM TO ME

"Bass creates motion" - David Lanz
#1149655 04/10/06 07:41 AM
"He likes to make interesting chord progressions and doesn't like the I-IV-V (says it's boring)."

What a bunch of nonsense. As if a chord progression can be interesting or boring: with a I-IV-V progression you can make heaps of unique music, apart from classic genres using these progressions, like latin music and blues.

That being said, there can never be too much ambitious composers. If you would like me to check your recordings and give honest but constructive feedback just let me know. smile

#1149656 04/10/06 11:17 AM
This is already a combination not worth investigating or a listen, for these reasons:

- "prodigy" is just now learning scales.
- "recording" quality is admittedly low (amateur).
- Too much praise be given to student with lack of discipline (progess) on his chosen instrument. Good luck.

Now, if he's interested in becoming a midi composer, he can write things he can't play. Sounds like that would be a better direction for a composer not interested in learning an instrument or willing to take instruction, practice, theory and history. However, his programming skills will need to be "disciplined" in order to produce anything worth a listen.

Theodore
Alamo Music Center
San Antonio,Texas
#1149657 04/10/06 05:16 PM
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Everything which has been posted so far is deadly serious; too serious, I think. Whatever you do in the way of helping him develop his musical ability please do not forget that he is primarily a very young human being with the right to future enjoyment of his music in his own way.

Expose him to all sorts of music, certainly, the more the merrier, and find a good teacher for him by all means. However, in the end, if he has music in him, it may not come out in the way you or anybody else thinks it should. He may find happiness through music at a greater or lesser level of dedication or professionalism; in the end the pragmatic aspect does not matter.

What matters is that his musical abilities bring him unconditional joy for the rest of his life.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
#1149658 04/10/06 05:20 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Ted:
Everything which has been posted so far is deadly serious; too serious, I think. Whatever you do in the way of helping him develop his musical ability please do not forget that he is primarily a very young human being with the right to future enjoyment of his music in his own way.

Expose him to all sorts of music, certainly, the more the merrier, and find a good teacher for him by all means. However, in the end, if he has music in him, it may not come out in the way you or anybody else thinks it should. He may find happiness through music at a greater or lesser level of dedication or professionalism; in the end the pragmatic aspect does not matter.

What matters is that his musical abilities bring him unconditional joy for the rest of his life.
Well said Ted.

Best, John

Stop analyzing; just compose the damn thing!
#1149659 04/10/06 08:59 PM
OP Offline
Whoa, hold on.

"- "prodigy" is just now learning scales.
- "recording" quality is admittedly low (amateur).
- Too much praise be given to student with lack of discipline (progess) on his chosen instrument. Good luck."

Cameron is 13 years old and prior to his realization of this skill his hobbies were basketball and nintendo. He doesn't like scales. So what? Who does? The thing is, he is realizing his potential and starting to put forth an effort. What I was trying to say is that before composing I couldn't get him to practice, but now he has the motivation. Of course he is an amateur! He is 13 years old and only been playing for a few years. The point of me calling him a "prodigy" is not to say he is the best composer or pianist out there, but to say "wow, my brother has an amazing natural talent. If only I could direct him, he could be great some day." That's all I was trying to say.

Thanks Ted and John for your understanding comments.

#1149660 04/10/06 09:34 PM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I noticed my 5 year old only liked to 'compose' music on the piano. wasn't interested in being taught anything, we had barely got past knowing where middle C was. However, he _would_ spend 30 minutes perfecting some music for his puppet show and then 'perform' it. It is not really music although he has a good memory and excellent rythm, but there is a process and he is getting better.

Then the other day he asked about my recent/new sight reading activities. I explained to him that notes and cords were the way music got written down like letters and words were the way speech got written down. He now wants me to write down his compositions and play them back and after the first session can recognize C, etc.

hmn, maybe a new piano teaching method? Is there any method out there that is composition centric?

Only the humble improve.
#1149661 04/10/06 09:55 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Madmusic,

My son is twelve. He too has just discovered composition. On the other hand he's been studying piano for almost five years and has become rather decent at it. This helps immeasurably with his composing.

He's also studying composition with a professor at our local university. This offers many advantages over working alone.

The first thing he was required to do was get a copy of Finale as a compostion tool. Finale has a low cost version called PrintMusic. If you are not familiar with it, the tool is a formidable composition program and it costs only $70. Get it for him as a present. If he can compose in the program (which also uses an M-audio keyboard ...another $90), the compositions can be turned into sheet music or midi files for easy sharing.

Best,

David F

#1149662 04/10/06 10:32 PM
OP Offline
Thanks, actually I already got him finale and encouraged my parents to purchase a USB compatible keyboard. Now, if only he would spend some time writing down the songs. He has done a little, but, not surprisingly, he prefers to spend his time on the piano.

#1149663 04/10/06 11:36 PM
Kam Offline
Madmusic, those songs are really fantastic. He certainly has some (not some, a lot of) talent and melodic ears.

One question, is he intended to make those dissonance sounds? What style does he wants to play? (that's 2 questions..lol)

There are several areas I'd suggest he to work on:

(1) Harmonization
As you said he just started composing, the first thing to do would be learning various ways to harmonize a melody. I can see he has great talent to use his ears to harmonize but he needs more training, try playing some sheetmusic from some artists, then u'll understand what i'm trying to say. For New Age music, try search for David Lanz, Richard Clayderman, Geroge Winston, and...etc. I think he is playing in New Age style.

(2) Composition format
Like AABBABA, he needs to work on that (for pop songs). The first 2 A can be repeated exactly but not for the last 2, or you will make your listener go away.

"When I Dream" is my favourite, it has more favourable sounds than the others, and the format is more in a appropriate way.

Little changes to the music can sound very differently.

Tell him that I will be supporting him
Ask me any questions here or thru my email.

If your bro could record (or write) them in midi (with dynamics and pedaling..etc if he is writing them), that would be great, since I can make those songs (midi format) sounds like he is playing a world class concert grand.

A sample of 33 seconds of the concert grand.
http://www3.telus.net/public/tommy17/NameTheTune1.mp3

Since I am a amatuer New Age composer my self, I feel enthused about your bro's interest in composing music.

Okay, here are the links to your bro's music.
If you have a couch, sit back and enjoy.

In the End
http://www3.telus.net/public/tommy17/Cameron_In_the_End.mp3
When I Dream
http://www3.telus.net/public/tommy17/Cameron_When_I_Dream.mp3
Rushing River
http://www3.telus.net/public/tommy17/Cameron_RushingRiver.mp3

In the upcoming recital, u will know how i am doing.

#1149664 04/11/06 03:35 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
He's definitely talented for his age. I'd be very interested in seeing how he's progressed in a couple years. I say a couple years because when he reaches 15-16 so much more will be expected of him.

As long as he likes what he's doing he will progress with or without formal instruction.

However, a good teacher can save him a lot of time - and keep him interested. Very few people can find the discipline needed to become an accomplished pianist or composer by themselves. Most need some kind of formal structure.

I would suggest the next step to take would be finding the perfect teacher. One that can teach piano fundamentals as well as composition – and expose him to a lot of well structured music.

Best, John wink

Stop analyzing; just compose the damn thing!
#1149665 04/11/06 04:34 PM
Kam Offline
Ya, he needs a teacher who teaches playing piano by ear

#1149666 04/11/06 09:11 PM
OP Offline
Thanks KAM!

Yeah, I think he needs a better teacher too. He is just going to some lady down the street (She was my teacher. She is good, but is out of the country half of the year on random adventures.)

Imagine having a 13 year old brother who's main purpose in life is to conquer every video game out there and play basketball in between. He was going to quit piano after learning some church hymns. Then I came home from college and my mom told me, "Cameron wrote a song." I thought, "Oh, this should be cute." But was surprized when I heard songs of this caliber. I don't even think those three songs are his best. They were just ones he chose.

He definately meant for the dissonance (although he doesn't even know that word. It's true. He just asked me, "what is that?"). He told me that one of his favorite things to do is throw a chord in that you're not expecting. He is influenced by Lanz (because of growing up hearing me play him) and John Schmitt.

So my next step is to find him a great piano teacher. First off, the one he has doesn't even like new age. She strongly discouraged me from playing it. She also doesn't do anything to encourage his compositions (which infuriates me). I would be willing to teach him, but I already have a full-time job and, to be honest, I'm not that great.

Seriously, thank you for your support and I will contact you if Cameron has any questions.

#1149667 04/11/06 11:18 PM
Kam Offline
Better find a teacher who teaches both music composition and piano playing.

BTW, are u talking about David Lanz?

#1149668 04/16/06 09:19 PM
Does he need to learn composition? Would it hurt? From what I have learned of composition it has greatly influenced me. But some of the greatest new age artists like Yanni, have not learned much of it. Neither have either of my brothers who write great music.

I personally am a knowledge lover. I am studying as much theory and harmony as I can. So far my greatest piece has been a pain staking mix of balancing two keys between each other and resolving on one or the other.

It was a game to me to see If I could do it and still have some tonality. I got to go but I'll post more of my thoughts later. Cause I love to learn more.

[Linked Image]
#1149669 04/17/06 11:55 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Don't push him too hard to learn scales etc.!

First leave him for a while, so he can develop his own style of writing and composing. I doubt whether it's a good idea to let him learn theory. He'd be influenced by others too much. First he should develop on his own. When he is ready, let him play other material, from other composers, and practise some technique (I personally don't recomend Hanon), and let him listen to different types of music. Find a good composition teacher for him.

And btw, you can host recordings at www.savefile.com

Kawai ES-110

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is never enough for music."
-Sergei Rachmaninoff.
#1149670 04/17/06 11:57 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
And I forgot to add, let him post and write here on him own! Why not? Just to know him better smile .

Kawai ES-110

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is never enough for music."
-Sergei Rachmaninoff.
#1149671 04/17/06 10:22 PM
M
M
Ashley, I hope I'm answering the right post. About your brother, I am a composer and the most important thing you can do is listen to his heart. You said he didn't like to practice until he started composing; look at Yanni--he is a self taught composer and did not want to take lessons because he felt it might confuse him and what he wrote; your brother needs to want lessons and finding the right teacher is soooo important. Most of them out there won't know what to do with him but they won't tell you that. I have 7 years of lessons, couldn't tell you how many different teachers I had, but only one! recognized my ability and desires and helped me develop the skills I needed. The rest I've learned on my own. I wrote my first song at age 11. I feel like he is good from what you say and I don't think I would jump to placing his songs on this site for others to hear. Get him in some concerts; check for local music guilds and join. 13 years old is old enough to be a phenomenal composer. Ask him what HE NEEDS to go forward. The majority of the answers you've received here have no clue about what it is to be a composer or what a composer needs.

Awsome wishes, Robyn

#1149672 04/17/06 10:50 PM
OP Offline
Hi I'm Cameron the composer guy that my sister Ashley has been telling you about. I was wondering how you guys compose? I compose by ear.
I've been trying to discover some cool chord progressions. I really like i,v,vi,iv and i,iv,vi,v and there is this really long one i,v,ii,vi,iv,i,ii,i. I have others,but it would kind of get boring. What are some cool chord proggressions you people like to use because they're what make the song sort of. That and the melody. Thanks for the advice a lot.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission