2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 8 invisible), 2,105 guests, and 340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
This may have been discussed here before... But this is THE BIG Question with a Capital Q...

WHY do you compose?

Anyone???

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/107473/1.html
L
L
Because it's way more fun than Decomposing!!--Just Kidding

Member of the 11 post club, also a Tin Foil Member since Jeanne contributed our money under her name
H
H
Why do I compose?
I think its the same as why do I write
a poem, paint a picture, decorate a room,
or create a good meal...its a way to express
that "overflowing" emotion that won't be
contained another minute more...
Its a way of sharing my core...my heart, my
sadness, my ....fill in the blanks.
Composing is selfish in my case. Its way too
much about me, about letting things out. But it
starts in a special place within me, I think..
from my unconscious place...the same place my
dreams evolve from. So it seems to have a lot
of mystery and a kind of "life of its own"...
I can compose in response to others situations too. I wrote a song for my husband for our wedding. I wrote a song about 9/11 around
Christmastime. I've written music for children's
plays because they needed to be written to fit
the story line of the play itself..(when I do
children's plays I do it all..the script, the
music, the costumes, the direction, the set.
Its one of my greatest kicks!)
My inner child is out in full abandon and
I feel fantastic with the process.
For the record, I've not made a dime on my
compositions or things related, but so far
it hasn't mattered a whit.
Its sheer joy.

The truest insights into a person's
character are two things:
1. How he treats people who cannot help him.
2. How he treats those who cannot
fight back.
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
1. Asked and answered at least twice on the front page of the Composer's Lounge.

2. I'm going to go with the same answer again:

"I hear things that nobody else composed and I want to play them." wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mostly to provoke emotion in the listener. I'm usually thinking of the audience or listener when I write - what emotion I want to express or portray that would bring something out from within others. For example, something relaxing to relieve someone's stress. -Something happy-go-lucky just for fun. -Something sad and somber to provoke reflection. -Something happy to make others "feel" good about themselves. -Something funny to make others laugh.

L
L
DISCLAIMER: It is I - JEANNE W, NOT Lloyd W. My Hubby signed on and didn't sign off so it looks like this post is from HIM, but this post is really from ME, Jeanne W. OH, GOOD GRIEF. frown

It's clear we compose for different reasons. I identify most closely with you, hanna2222. It's a way of expressing oneself. You say:

"Composing is selfish in my case. Its way too
much about me, about letting things out. But it
starts in a special place within me, I think..
from my unconscious place...the same place my
dreams evolve from. So it seems to have a lot
of mystery and a kind of "life of its own"..."

It certainly is about "oneself", isn't it? At least, that's how I feel about it.

And the mystery of it... I once sat down playing around with the notes and something Chinese sounding came out. You just NEVER KNOW what's going to emerge.

Sarabande: I don't ever think about wanting to affect other people's emotions. At least, that's never been a main goal of mine. Hmmm... Something that's never really occured to me. I'm thinking more about the music itself.

Derelux: I LOVE your answer!! laugh

Don't know if there will be many more replies here, since this has already been asked. But I'd love to hear what the rest of you have to say!

Jeanne W

P.S. Lloyd W's "decomposing" reply - that's my Husband for you. smile

Member of the 11 post club, also a Tin Foil Member since Jeanne contributed our money under her name
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
"People compose for many reasons: to become immortal; because the pianoforte happens to be open; because they want to become a millionaire; because of the praise of friends; because they have looked into a pair of beautiful eyes; for no reason whatsoever."

- Robert Schumann

I am the last one.

I hear music, want to write it down. I don't compose to say I compose, and I don't compose for any other reason, but my love for music, and that it makes me happy!

for me, beautiful melodies simply exist. Where? i dont know, but they just exist, they're just there waiting to be heard by a musician who's tickling his imagination. My goal as a composer would be to spot them and put them to practice. So that the rest of the globe could be exposed to them. The special thing is that it was in YOUR ear that those melodies were found, so they're are clearly emerged from your personal emotions.

i'm imprisoned in a jail of creative expression!
No but seriously,
I guess it could be compared to the digestive system of the human body.
food goes in and comes out and your body benefits from the delicious mineral and vitamins
With composing, inspiration comes in from the world and there's all that built up energy that MUST be released. (Regardless of what time of day it is!!! which is why all musicians are crazy:))
That's probably also why creativity comes in waves, We need time to build up the inspiration and then we use it all up!

Carolyn (cyip086)

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
The question as to why do we compose has the same answer as to why do we have sex. What are the reasons that spur us to want to make love?

H
H
I've heard that we eat because of emptiness
and have sex because of "overfullness"..
and creating music is more like sex than
hunger...it seems.

The truest insights into a person's
character are two things:
1. How he treats people who cannot help him.
2. How he treats those who cannot
fight back.
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Well, I think it is a bit like both, at least for me. We have this overbearing emptiness, this void to fill with music, and so we do it (in our heads). Then we are glut with music and have a desire to express it, so we write it down. wink

Anybody else feel that way? Or am I alone? :p

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Like sex and food ? No resemblance to either for me. It's a yoga, particularly improvisation. Yes, that's the right word - a yoga. A yoga whose ultimate end is a compact synthesis of complete serenity - like the end of Eliot's "Little Gidding".

"...the fire and the rose are one."

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It's a unique way to express emotions. After composing I feel refreshed and fulfilled.

John

Stop analyzing; just compose the damn thing!
M
M
I compose because there is just so much *bad* music out there, and I want to have a hand in contributing something worthwhile.

Melodies don't "exist"; People invent them, and that ingenuity and creativity is what drives me. I want to make/do/represent something that has never been done before.

I don't feel that composing is like food. It's not necessary in order to exist. I will say that it is closer to sex, just because, dang, it's fun to do.

Mary
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I agree Mary. There's a lack of great melodies in music today.

I remember reading in Recording Magazine a short while ago where they had a contest in film music. The top ten finalists were given kudos for their wonderful arranging and production.

Then one critique spoke out "sounds great, but where's the melody?”

The quality of the production/recording of music has never been better. However great, memorable melodies are hard to find.

I center all my composing on the melody. It's the most important element in music (in my opinion).

John

but at the same time, all the great melodies have already been taken in one form or another in the evolution of music

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by iNBi:
but at the same time, all the great melodies have already been taken in one form or another in the evolution of music
I beg to differ iNBi. If I believed that I’d stop composing.

If they're melodies composed within the six closest related chord structure it's difficult, but not impossible. That’s were the bulk of melodies already composed reside in.

But being bold with the chord structure can find some new and exciting melodies. We’ve only scratched the surface of the melodic spectrum.

Best, John

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
if ever you go to some today's concerts and heard the new compositions - concerti or orchestra pieces etc, you'd know how disconnected/unrelated those pieces sound. in many modern music, it's totally not about melodies (which if you do use in your composition you're considered not that good a composer or not a professional composer) but about sound/harmonic/disonance painting, where the genius of modern composing techniques lay. i sat through some of those compositions played in concerts, and couldn't remember a thing after my ears being tortured with the sound. so, why do they compose something like that, i had no clue, and still don't!

i don't think there's a reason for why we are composing. as long as you want to do it, then take it as a reason. if that's what brings you the creative enjoyment, then so be it...

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
(which if you do use in your composition you're considered not that good a composer or not a professional composer) but about sound/harmonic/disonance painting, where the genius of modern composing techniques lay.
And yet, it is the intangibility of such compositions that isolates it from the general population of the world. So, it comes down to the question, "Who's right? The few people who enjoy this sort of thing, or the masses at large who reject it?" (And, of course, there is no right or wrong answer.) wink

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission