2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
OP Offline
H
FINALE: http://www.box.net/shared/u9iyycsg0k

PDF: http://www.box.net/shared/bk53smz48o

Just a little something I came up with. I wrote this after I listened to the John Field Nocturne in B-flat and this piece has some ideas used from Field's Nocturne i.e. Its time signature and structure.

You can take a noob and train him all day but that'll just make him a trained noob...
H
OP Offline
H
bump

You can take a noob and train him all day but that'll just make him a trained noob...
B
B
Was your title intended to be a joke? I don't know many composers who call their pieces "the most amazing EVAR" especially when saying they used ideas from other composers....

Berthold Friedmann,
University of Göttingen, Physicist,
Part-time Pianist/Violinist,
Volunteer with Red Cross International.
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hmmm...the file seems to be a Finale file that most of us can't open. You might want to post an MP3 or Midi file or, if you want to share the score, how about making a PDF file (there are free converters that will allow you to print to a PDF).

Ed

"...a man ... should engage himself with the causes of the harmonious combination of sounds, and with the composition of music." Anatolius of Alexandria
[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel
H
OP Offline
H
it was a joke to get people's attention

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yes, the similarity to the Field Nocturne is striking - perhaps too much so. Its one thing to make a quotation in a piece, its another to do it so blatantly that anyone who hears this will immediately think "he stole that from Field". (That is, anyone who's familiar with Field's music...)

The harmonic structure you use is, um, interesting. I don't know if I quite get the whole F-Gb7-C-F thing. In a piece as tonal as this, it seems just a bit odd. There are some other places that there's some odd harmony as well.

Some of the LH figurations seem a little awkward (not so much to play, but to hear). For instance, in ms 2 you repeat the same F in the LH. For something that should have a flowing feel to it (I assume that's the feel you want), the repeated note seems to jump out as a little jarring.

What's up with ms 7-8? They don't really serve much of any purpose.

Ms 13 - did you mean to have those false relations?

Overall there are some notational issues. 12/8 implies 4 groups of 3 eights. You typically would not write ms 14 as a dotted half, half, and quarter. You would do a dotted half, dotted quarter tied to an eigth, and then a quarter. There are those that will argue that either is acceptable, but in a piece as tonal and "traditional" as this, you should stick to traditional notation conventions.

Ms 17 and 18 just didn't seem to work for me - what were you trying to do here? Is this meant to be a bridge? A flourish? A new idea? You use it again at the end of the piece, so something tells me that it may have been meant as a new idea, but if that's the case, then develop it as such. As it is, it just doesn't work. Notationally this is a mess, but I realize that it's probably the best you could do with notepad.

I do hope that your declaration that this is the most amazing piece evar was in jest. I don't see anything in here that overly excited me.

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission