2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Danny Niklas:
That crazy man Boulez once said that "whatever composer who don't feel the need to write serial music is useless" and here in accademies they love these words.
Haha, I was wondering when Boulez would come up.

Don't get me wrong, I really do love his piano sonatas, Marteau, and Pli selon pli, and he's certainly a champion of new music; but it's a little hypocritical for the European experimentalists to revere a guy who pays the bills by recording Mahler and Debussy.

wink

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally posted by Kreisler:
And if you ever feel like doing a degree in atonal electro-acoustic gamelan with dancing and poetry, they'd probably give you a big scholarship.
LOL. This is the best post I have seen on PW in a long time! Where can I sign up?

BTW, don't forget selling insurance as a lucrative way to support your composing self. It was good enough for Charles Ives and he was no slouch when it came down to innovation.

If you really want to deal with elitism firsthand, try posting something contrary to classical music on the Teacher's Forum right here in PW. Quite a revelation.

----------------------------
Play New Age Piano
http://www.quiescencemusic.com

L
L
Quiescen...careful how you cast the academia and piano teacher stones. Not all of us are how you perceive mate smile

The ebb flows both ways, and some of us operate holistically as is the best way to be in my opinion. Dualism constricts when it originates from any side of the fence.

Elitism is a subjective experience amongst all genres...I've witnessed it amongst the classicists, the new-agers, improv jazz musos, and rock based artists.

In a perfect world, there'd be no such thing...Elitism, like any class system is rubbish. We all have a calling, and that's all that matters smile

Originally posted by quiescen:
If you really want to deal with elitism firsthand, try posting something contrary to classical music on the Teacher's Forum right here in PW. Quite a revelation.
I think it must be the way you tell 'em.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I thought I'd share a story about a piece of music I was looking into just this week. I've been looking into the meaning of the text by James Agee that Morten Lauridsen in Sure on this Shining Night.

Somewhere in my searches I came across some discussion by people who apparently know Lauridsen at USC. They were saying that they were at the premiere of this work and how disappointed they were in it. So here I am searching the internet looking for discussion of the meaning of this text because I find the music deeply moving and these kids are saying they were disappointed by it because it was not daring enough for them.

Which brings up the central question of this thread what is the purpose of music? Is it to be technically daring or to express something which will hopefully be appreciated by an audience? I personally fall squarely into the latter camp.

FYI, anyone interested in the piece which I found so moving, here is the text (from James Agee's "A Death in the Family").

Sure on this shining night
Of star-made shadows round
Kindness must watch for me
This side the ground

The late year lies down the north,
All is healed, all is health
High summer holds the earth,
Hearts all whole

I weep for wonder
Wandr’ing far alone
Of shadows on the stars.

And here's a link to a fine performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icp4bNb7TDI

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
Originally posted by keyboardklutz:
Originally posted by quiescen:
[b] If you really want to deal with elitism firsthand, try posting something contrary to classical music on the Teacher's Forum right here in PW. Quite a revelation.
I think it must be the way you tell 'em. [/b]
Huh?

Originally posted by lotuscrystal:
Quiescen...careful how you cast the academia and piano teacher stones. Not all of us are how you perceive mate smile

The ebb flows both ways, and some of us operate holistically as is the best way to be in my opinion. Dualism constricts when it originates from any side of the fence.

Elitism is a subjective experience amongst all genres...I've witnessed it amongst the classicists, the new-agers, improv jazz musos, and rock based artists.

In a perfect world, there'd be no such thing...Elitism, like any class system is rubbish. We all have a calling, and that's all that matters smile
Hi Lotus,

You're right of course. And I didn't mean to say "all." Just overwhelmed at the response I got from some when expressing a contrary opinion.

-- Edward

L
L
No worries smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Poem posted by Steve Chandler

Of star-made shadows round
Kindness must watch for me
This side the ground

The late year lies down the north,
All is healed, all is health
High summer holds the earth,
Hearts all whole

I weep for wonder
Wandr’ing far alone
Of shadows on the stars
Steve,

Thanks for posting the poem. It's been a few years since I've thought of it. I don't know what it means. What I do know, though, is that anything James Agee involved himself with moves me in inexplicable ways. I think Barber's setting of "Sure on this shining night is one of most beautiful songs in the English language, but I can't tell you what the poem means. I feel the same way about "Knoxville: Summer 1915." And the same way when he associates with Walker Evans in "Let Us Now Praise Famous Men." James Agee always reaches me deeply, but I don't know why.

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

P
P
Originally posted by epf:
Danny,

Your first two citations appear not to be elitism per se but, rather, musical gnosticism! Indeed, the comment that "eternal truths [are] accessable[sic] only to a group very small in number" is precisely the definition of gnosticism.

I don't really agree with that definition of gnosticism. :rolleyes:

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
rrb Offline
This is already a long thread and much of what can be written has been. Maybe a few things, perhaps as reinforcement.

The emotions that music engenders in the listener span a wide spectrum that by the turn of the 19th century seemed to have been exhaustively explored.

Along comes Sibelius, utterly within the romantic tradition, and nevertheless says something new. Likewise Rachmaninov. The 'Rite of Spring' appears, also not radically breaking the rules of harmony (though just about every other rule!). Likewise Shostakovich, Bartok ....

Schoenberg may have led a lot of musicians down a cul-de-sac, but no-one can be untouched by his Verklaerte Nacht, or by the violin concerto of disciple Webern (whose appeal, I would contend, is in spite of rather than because of the 12 tone architecture).

Always, composers find new ways to tap into the well-spring of human emotion. The means are irrelevant.

Was the Beatle's music art? Or the Stones'?

I think the answer is the test of time. Emotions have evolved much more slowly than the evolution of musical composition. Some music hits the Zeitgeist, but when this shifts becomes ineffective. Some does not.

Great music is timeless. One can safely predict that the interpretation of Beethoven's late work, Opus 111, for example, will be as controversial in 2108 as it is today. This is because the notes on the page together with the composer's instructions imply, but do not uniquely identify, an appeal to our most secret longings, fears, hatreds, and to a desire for internal peace which Beethoven strove for in his life, but never found.

How does one know whether a composition is 'timeless', or appeals because it strikes a concordant note in the times in which it is composed? Hard question.

The only answer I can offer is the canonical response to 'What is beauty?'. One knows it when one sees it.

Rob
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
All art is quite useless.
Even more useless are discussions on art.
.What often happens in these discussions is that the ears get pulled forward and cover the hearing mechanism so nothing gets heard anyway.

What matters is virtue. if something is good or has merit it will endure. this applies to less than 1% of all creative endevour.
This proves the point that genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration

T
Tar Offline
T
"arts"
"music"
"noise"

Labels? You know, this really reminds me of the HSBC adverts you get to see through the airport gates (like the one that says "Dull?" and "Riveting?" on the pictures of cricketers and ballet dancers and then swap them round) Maybe soon there'll be one with "Music?" and "Noise?" with pictures of - I dunno - a chamber orchestra and rock band or something...

You get my point!

Tar Viturawong
Amateur composer and pianist
Known on YouTube as pianoinspiration
verbis defectis musica incipit
T
Tar Offline
T
Searching within my memory now I remember that there's exactly one HSBC advert on that context. It's the pictures of a rock singer and an ethnic (Indian?) musician with the labels "enjoyable" and "unbearable", then they're swapped around.

Tar Viturawong
Amateur composer and pianist
Known on YouTube as pianoinspiration
verbis defectis musica incipit
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by Mocheol:
All art is quite useless.
Even more useless are discussions on art.
I let this answer sit for a few days because itbothered me, but feel I must respond. I find answers like this rather disingenuous. If art is useless and discussions about art even more useless then what are you doing here? There is some truth to the quote that, "Talking about music is like dancing about architecture," but the reality is that we can describe more accurately with words our thoughts and feelings about music that we can express ourselves with body movements (excepting sign language). Because music is abstract complete accuracy of expression is not possible, that afterall is what the music itself is for. However, discussions are far from useless. If they really were you wouldn't be here.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
I believe he's quoting Oscar Wilde:

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~garden/art.html

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Originally posted by Steve Chandler:
However, discussions are far from useless. If they really were you wouldn't be here.
Oh yeh?

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by Kreisler:
I believe he's quoting Oscar Wilde:

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~garden/art.html
Ah! I get it. Interesting preface. Thanks for pointing out the literary reference.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission