2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
45 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,198 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1146920 03/13/08 04:28 PM
Yep, that's great!

Most of the times it helps to know where a song comes from to make useful comment about it.

Grotrian-Steinweg 160 #98923
#1146921 03/13/08 08:24 PM
C
C
Originally posted by Pukino777:
I composed it sitting at the piano...

I am sorry that its computer sounding.
No need to apologize for this at all! It's the composition that's important! Some of the most successful composers aren't all that accomplished as performers (not to imply that you lack in that area!).

If you have the MIDI file and are interested, I would love to tweak it up and send it through Ivory and post the results back here?

Curt

#1146922 03/14/08 01:45 PM
OP Offline
Hi Curt,
thats a good idea, I am curious how it will sound through Ivory with your tweaks. I have no idea how much effort does it cost you to do it, maybe you can do also with my sonata if you like it.
I will mail you the midifile of "Rain", just send me your email through PM.
There is also one internet friend who will try to record it live, if he does it, it will be nice comparison.
I am flattered that you like to be the first virtual interpret of "Rain" :-)
Anyway Iam really not a good performer at the piano :-)

"Music is the one incorporeal entrance into the higher world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend."
Ludwig van Beethoven
#1146923 03/16/08 07:15 AM
C
C
OK, I have some results! First I would like to thank Peter for sending his composition along to me to have fun with. smile

I made three mixes:
The first was his MIDI file straight into Ivory without any changes at all. I was immediately surprised how much better it sounded right away just playing back in the Steinway library! There were two locations (the LOUD sections!) where I did have to pull down the velocity levels because they clipped at +9 on my channel meters! But other than that, this version is Peter's direct MIDI file.

For the second mix I went through the entire file making changes only to dynamics. I kept the meter in place - in other words I didn't humanize it at all. My intent was to keep the pulse of the composition the way Peter wrote it. I also added a few soft pedal triggers in two or three locations for some added sparkle.

And the third one... I apologize in advance! I couldn't help but bring out the "new-age" in me by adding a few ambient elements to the music. Turn your volume down the first time you listen - consider yourself warned!!

Here are the Rain files! You can either click "Play" to listen without downloading or "Download" to copy them to your machine.

Thanks again Peter! I could do a lot more with this file but that wasn't my goal. I really just wanted to throw it at Ivory to see what would come out. To any that question the Ivory library - this should be a great example to help convince you!!

Now I am interested to hear the other person's version of a live performance of this song. I have to say that several locations of the work are extremely difficult, if not humanly impossible, to perform - especially at the written tempo!

Curt

#1146924 03/16/08 07:00 PM
OP Offline
Good work Curt!
The Ivory sound is excellent and the idea in the third version also. I like it very much, I reminds me of the atmosphere that time very well! And I dont have to explain the chordal FF-part anymore :-) Thanks Curt!

"Music is the one incorporeal entrance into the higher world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend."
Ludwig van Beethoven
#1146925 03/17/08 06:16 AM
C
C
It was my pleasure! This tune stays in my head now. I can hear it being performed by David Lanz in the time of his "Nightfall" album.

Now, you mentioned your sonata as well? smile

#1146926 03/17/08 02:04 PM
OP Offline
I will send you the files of the sonata in c-minor Curt, hope you will like it although its different style :-)

Ludwig van Beethoven
#1146927 03/20/08 10:37 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Love this version...I downloaded the music so I can try it out on my new keyboard (Casio PX-200). The only other "Rain" theme songs that come to mind is "Kiss the rain" by Yumi and "Rain" by the Beatles (written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney)

...The ultimate joy in music is the joy of playing the piano...
#1146928 03/21/08 04:25 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hi Pukino,

Time to comment a bit, in hopes of getting a review of my own pieces, as it seems to be the norm in this thread! (just kidding of course).

I do have several comments, and I hope you won't find me harsh, or Zom won't find me an unkind human being, for mentioning them. After all we are all here to learn and pick up knowledge and help each other and get better, right?

Subjective issues. Feel free to take them into account or disregard them altogether... There's no right or wrong really.

There are 3 things that kind of hit me with this piece. The first one was the length. With the current rendering it's almost 5 minutes long, and... there is no recognisable theme to make it exactly interesting. This goes along with the second issue which is your rhythm. It's all 1/8ths! All! There is no fermata, there is no variation except for the dotted 1/8th and the 1/16th which gave freshness but is too little, and the paused moments with the half notes, which again are counting towards 4/8ths rather than something more... interesting. Maybe it's the rendering I heard, or the computer playback, but the fact still remains that this piece works almost like a metronome in 1/8ths... And yes, there are other compositions that seem to do the same (Beethoven moonligh springs to mind), but they have other things to make it more interesting.

The third thing to consider is how you use the range of the piano. You get 88 keys to play with. Why use only the 40, plus some octaves in the bass?

It is a great idea of a piece, the title is very fitting and it works in many ways, but the above are the issues that kept me from listening a third time, cause I did listen to it twice.

Objective issues. Again you are free to dissgree, or dissregard but in these cases there is right and wrong, much stronger than the composition aspects.

Your score!

Your score is a mess! You obviously made it to create the recording in Finale (I assume), but you can actually hide elements, if you want a dynamic to be there, and also have it in playback.

* All dynamics bellow the bottom staff need to go
* All clashing elements (a dynamic on a notehead) need to be cleared
* Dynamics need to be clear. decresc. and then FF (right before the chordal, which I did enjoy, btw) is not clear. Either put FF subito, or have a big rit. above to show your intentions clearly. try it in Finale and you'll see how the human playback will change.
* This is a bit more personal, but you could go for a smaller %. This doesn't seem as an 85%, but I usually put my piano scores at 70%.
* Pedalling. If you are aiming for a live peformance, remove all pedal notation. A pianist will do this on their own. Just add Ad lib. ped. in the beginning and in the bar where you have staccato (bar 56) add senza ped.
* It is a pity and a lost page to have page 7 with 1 system. If you reduce size it will go futher, but if you don't, just move the bars further up to have only 6 pages (and of course remove the empty page 8).
* Tempo indications are only put once, above the top staff in bold lettering.
* clef clashings and anything else touching anything else need to go as well
* any legato markings? I'd imagine that you want the first 2 bars with a legato slur, then the 3rd and 4th and so on. Would give a much better impression to a live performer.

Exactly like Steve, I wouldn't bother spending one hour with this post if it wasn't worth it. smile It's a lovely piece and a very... fresh and uncomplexed composition.

Thank you for sharing!

#1146929 03/21/08 08:03 AM
C
C
Give these versions a listen. A made small tweaks to his dynamics but left it rhythmically intact.

#1146930 03/21/08 09:15 AM
OP Offline
Thank you Hotkeys and Nikolas for passing comment over this piece.
Different people have different points of view and have different taste of music, so Nikolas subjective issues are one of them. To be honest, there are 2 fermatas , but you are right, that the rhythm is not changing, there are 2 reason;
1, it’s played by computer
2, it’s the mood of the piece, calming rain, not changing a lot
But it’s ok if someone likes more change. The pianist has free hand two integrate his own feeling of the rhythm.
“there is no recognizable theme”…. I disagree but of course it’s your opinion :-)
The issues about the score are very good and I am thankful for them. They seem to be very professional. I apologize for this, I wrote it in the night and am not well versed with Finale so sorry for that. I was concentrating on the music. I really didn’t read the guide how to use the notation software correctly. But it’s better than handwriting :-)
Anyway, again there is raining now, as I am writing this, I like this small coincidences in life :-)

Ludwig van Beethoven
#1146931 03/21/08 09:59 AM
I often play variation of my own composition to find out that other people think it's exactly the same while I have the feeling it's very different. When we start composing as a form of communication, we have to start understanding what others truly hear. Composers have a deep knowledge of their song, in every single details, while the audience just get the global experience. We have to find way to analyze our song globally, asking someone to sing your song to you could be a good way to find out what stay in his mind, and what doesn't.

I think that's exactly why more than one person told you that there was no recognizable theme. It's so mixed up into the texture that it doesn't shine above the rest. This could be a good choice as in the rain, every raindrop look the same, but you somewhat sacrifice your theme from the audience in this way.

As for lenght, this is the absolute most common error in every artistic medium. When I start making movies, I gave myself lenght objectif, shortening a piece by 4 made the experience much more enjoyable to the audience, even if every cut hurt me. This will help you get to the point of your song and not loose the audience along the way. This is not easy to do, but necessary if you write for someone other than yourself.

Grotrian-Steinweg 160 #98923
#1146932 04/23/08 02:47 PM
OP Offline
Sorry MissT I didnt react to your post until yet, of course youre right, everebody does feel the music in another way. I am just presenting my feelings, some people like it some not. I am not trying to fit to all :-)

Ludwig van Beethoven
Zom #1196744 05/10/09 02:02 PM
OP Offline

Ludwig van Beethoven
OP Offline
Hallo friends,
The links are old, I just post new working links:

Sheet Music:
PDF score

P.

Ludwig van Beethoven
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission