2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,184 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
I am looking at 2 pianos to buy for our 8 year-old who has been taking lessons on a keyboard for 3 years. Choices are:
Yamaha M500QA The serial # is 269165 (orginal owner who has had for 3-4 yrs. bought from Brook Mays. Starting bid $1250.
or Yamaha U1 A3901056 starting bid $2500. What is gray market and should I be concerned?
You all are a tremendous help!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
U1A serial # 3901056 is of mid 1984 and is a gray market Japanese made import. An industry standard among the players as for vertical piano.
The (48") U1A is the newest gray market scale design and performance wise superior to the (44") M500QA.
Two questions
Did you want a beautiful cherry french provincial cabinetry piano or a black shiny piano?.
Did you want to allocate $1250 or $2500?
Furniture criteria? Performance criteria? Either would be acceptable in your scenario.

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
D
OP Offline
D
Today, I took a piano tech with me to look at 2 pianos. Both for sale by different owners on ebay-- one was a Yamaha M500QA (2001) and the U1A (1984).

Tech who is also in a family business that buys and sells pianos said both were in very good condition. Both, barely been used. Both would only need a tuning. Both, depending how close to the opening bid I got it I could sell in a couple years and get close to my money back - the U1 holding the value longer.

He said they would both last me another 25 years or more. Both sellers were great and would be a dream to work with. Both pianos would look great with our decor.

U1A's keys were a bit yellow and there were some big nicks but aesthetically looked good, original owner, moved 3 times by professional piano movers in TX, one move with pully's to a 2nd floor. Sound was rich. Starting price on ebay is $2500, plus $300 allowance to move.

M500QA looked brand new. Sound was not as nice as the U1. Starting bid $1250, one person bid already but they are out of state.

I am looking for some advice which to buy because there is a considerable price difference. My heart is saying U1 but my wallet is saying M500.

Of course, there is always the possibility that in a few years we will upgrade to a baby or a grand which is always been a dream of mine. But if my son, doesn't continue to play then it would all be for looks and I would resort to a one with one of those fancy digital players. I grew up in a house with player piano, ya know the one with the cool rolls. Of course, I don't know if my husband is on board with my $5000 plus dreams! So that may never happen!

If I can get the M500QA for $1700 or less should I go for it because that is at least $800 less, even though I think I prefer the U1? Will I be sorry later?

Remember this is for my 8 year old who is a beginner, probably not musically gifted but has some natural ability. He has played for piano (3 yrs) and violin (2.5 yrs). We plan for him to take lessons for many, many more years (hopefully without resistance!)

Right now he fully enjoys it! Which is better than I did at his age. I played for two years, ending around 8 1/2 years old. Which I fully regret.

When I asked him if he would like the U1 which is just like the piano he uses at his music school he frowned because he didn't like it because he can't see what it looks like inside when he plays! I think he was hoping for a baby grand (because I was trying to talk my husband into it). What woman wouldn't try?

I told him that the U1 he could look inside when he plays,in fact it has the hinges that allow you to prop the top open which allows for a richer sound to come out. I guess the new U1s don't have that feature and that the wood is a lot thinner too?

Thank you for listening and as always your expertise is much appreciated.

D
OP Offline
D
So excited! I got the U1 # A3901056 1994 on ebay for $2500 plus cost of delivery ($175). The M500 sold for $1775 plus delivery. I didn't even bid on it but in the last 10 seconds it got bid up super high, as it started at $1250. I don't even think I would have won it had I bid because I wouldn't have gone to $1800 most likely. Thanks for your assistance! After reading other posts I think I got a really good, deal you think too?

D
OP Offline
D
Sorry I meant to say that Yamaha U1 was a 1984. The M500 was a 2001.

V
V
--

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission