2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, 10 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I'm a big fan of electronic music and ambient, but not so much new age.
I have no idea about 'new age pianists'.
Can only recommend some minimal piano ambient: Brian Eno & Harold Budd - Ambient 2: The Plateaux of Mirror smile

I like David Nevue the most. His music is nice to listen to and his website is outstanding. All the sheetmusic to his music is available through his website.
http://www.davidnevue.com/freedownloads.htm

I also like Einauldi, Tiersen , Michael Nyman and Philip Glass.

The other night I discovered another new age artist from Rome,Italy. His name is Fancesco Gazzara. A couple
of the songs I like are "Scattered by Winds and "Early Morning". There are some more songs of his off his My Space page that I am also anxious to listen to as well.
Here's the link. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=235728837

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
In case this view I write has been already given, my apologies.

In my opinion 'New Age' means 'An Art Form of Music, late 20th Century, composed of that which is neither Jazz nor Classical, though perhaps as a best alternative 'Soul Music' A bit like a simplified Keith Jarret composition.

I can believe that the pianist gets a great deal of emotional thrill playing it.

Personally I'm a strong beat jazz lover.

Alan (swingal)

I'm sorry to say that my favorite "new age" pianist is ....me.

I love most of the above mentioned pianists,

however.....

H1

Piano Sales since 1992
Piano study since 1969
Piano teacher since 1992
Touring musician since 1985
Studio musician since 1996
I Love the Piano
No differing opinion?......

SWEET

H1

Piano Sales since 1992
Piano study since 1969
Piano teacher since 1992
Touring musician since 1985
Studio musician since 1996
I Love the Piano
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If I haven't mentioned him earlier in this thread, check out my favorite, Philip Aaberg. I particularly like Live from Montana.

[Linked Image]

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
One matter that is never discussed is, that what ever we say to give our opinion on music, we have no means of knowing what the next person hears in their brain. We can only express the effect that music has to others in general terms but nothing definitive. Hows that for a topic?

swingal

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Originally posted by swingal:
One matter that is never discussed is, that what ever we say to give our opinion on music, we have no means of knowing what the next person hears in their brain. We can only express the effect that music has to others in general terms but nothing definitive. Hows that for a topic?

swingal
Worthy of a thread of its own, swingal! To complicate matters even more, what an individual hears will change across repeated listenings of the same piece. My experience of a favorite piece of music will be different the first time I hear it than it is the 100th time.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
This is yet another fantastic thread every post of which I have read. My interest is kindled by the fact that I am currently learning my first piece of music in this many-named genre. laugh

Originally posted by Monica K.:
My experience of a favorite piece of music will be different the first time I hear it than it is the 100th time. [/QB]
That's the litmus test for whether or not a piece of music has "life" or not. If you can listen to it repeatedly and hear something new each time.

Edward Weiss
http://www.quiescencemusic.com

Z
Z
Hi all, I'm new to the forums but I had to jump in on this one...are any of you familiar with Suzanne Ciani? I love her. Someone else mentioned David Lanz, who is great, but Suzanne really is my personal favorite:

http://www.sevwave.com/ciani/MP3%27s.htm

Billy Joel is my choice lol.
Never heard of any of them people in this whole post. This place needs a rock forum or something.

A good jazz pianist can cross over to new age any time he/she desires to do so. It's like an olympic athlete becoming a gym teacher.

In that light, I nominate Yanni as the best new age pianist.

Registered Piano Technician
Serving Colorado Since 1978
randy@karasikpiano.com
www.karasikpiano.com
In posts like this, something has sparked my curiousity.
Of the few forums i visit and read, no one ever mentions Liberace. I was never a huge fan of the person mostly due to the media. When i was growing up there were many strange rumors about the guy so I guess it gets embedded in your head or something. However, as a pianist he is quite amazing. I see his stuff on youtube and its mind blowing speed and accuracy. I cannot imagine anyone more coordinated on the piano than that.

So why is the guy never mentioned? Did he actually stink at piano or is mentioning him too obvious? Or is it because he only played other peoples songs, and wasnt actually a composer?

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
And people in Opera said Mario Lanza wasn't an opera singer.. yet none had more worldwide appeal... laugh

I've just finished reviewing an excellent CD by Swiss pianist Ralph Zurmühle entitled "Our Mother". If you enjoy relaxing, melodic piano music, this is definitely worth investigating. There's a sample as well at the bottom- if you like Spigel im Spiegel (Arvo Part),you'll enjoy this particular track.

www.piano-heaven.co.uk

I love Ralph Zurmuhle!!!! I have all his albums, and I've even emailed him begging for the sheet music to the shortened version of "Horizon" that plays on David Nevue's "Whisperings" internet radio station. (He was very nice and emailed back, explaining that he doesn't have sheet music for any of his pieces. frown )

One of my absolute favorite Zurmuhle pieces is "I'll find you there" from the "Between" album. Check it out:

Ralph Zurmuhle, "I\'ll find you there"

Hello Monica!
I also love the Between album, and am shortly going to review that as well. It's in the car at the moment, but my favourite tracks are 1, 2 and 10. I'd never heard of him, and to discover a pianist as talented as this gives me great pleasure.
You might be interested to know that an interview with Ralph has been scheduled for September on Piano-Heaven- I'll ask about the Sheet Music for you!
I agree, he's a great guy.

EDIT: Yes, I do love Track 3 (your favourite) as well- reminds me a little of Kostia.

And ask him if he wrote "I'll find you there" with lyrics in mind... it's got such a strong melody that I find myself coming up with words to it, and--trust me on this--I am NOT usually a lyricist!

[Actually, I think I would rank "I'll find you there" as my number 2 favorite Zurmuhle piece; the album (long) version of "Horizon" is probably my #1 favorite... it is so mesmerizing and calm and peaceful, very special in many ways. heart ]

I shall ask him that! And I agree- the twenty minute version of "Horizon" is in fact one of my all-time favourite pieces of music. I've never heard the edited version (I'm from England, UK) but I'm sure my current version would be my preferred choice- the listener can really drift away with the music. I never tire of it either, despite its simplicity.

If you like "Horizon", you might like "Traveler" by Wayne Gratz, "Isis" by David Hicken and "Spiegel im Spiegel" by Arvo Part.

I've come to the conclusion that I like melodic, minimalist piano. If anyone has any further recommendations, please can you post them here.

www.piano-heaven.co.uk

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission