2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
K
OP Offline
K
There are so many pianists promoting these days, some very successful notable ones, and some very talented lesser knowns that I'm fans of. Everyone has their favorites, but who does everyone vote for as being the best and why?

Keith Phillips

www.keithphillips.net
Piano technique for all levels
www.keithphillips.net/AdvancedPianoSecrets.htm
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I would vote for George Winston smile

D
D
Originally posted by keithmusic:
There are so many pianists promoting these days, some very successful notable ones, and some very talented lesser knowns that I'm fans of. Everyone has their favorites, but who does everyone vote for as being the best and why?
Keith Jarrett.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jzqMJWlKMsY

K
OP Offline
K
I've been given Keith Jarrett's music before from a friend. People really get addicted to him. And it's hard to top George Winston too.

Keith Phillips

www.keithphillips.net
Piano technique for all levels
www.keithphillips.net/AdvancedPianoSecrets.htm
I don't particularly like the genre name "new age", makes it sound like if you like the music you're a star worshipper or something. That being said, this type of music is by far my favorite. I've never been much into classical although my teacher before too long will have something to say about that. I know that classical is a rite of passage in learning the piano, I've only been playing for 8 months. I have not heard of Keith Jarrett, I will check him out, Winston of course. However my runaway favorite is Danny Wright www.dannywright.com also very good is David Lanz www.davidlanz.com
and Kevin Kern www.kevinkern.com (legally blind)
also Taiwanese pianist Mia Jang released a few CD's a while back, I have one it is excellent (Sweet Dreams) don't know what she's doing now. And of course Jim Brickman but he's so mainstream now and not considered new age. Danny Wright's music is so introspective, thought provoking, positive and beautiful. He plays much on the higher scales, I always am telling my son, "someday you're going to play like Danny". How awesome that would be.

Stop buying things you can't afford....unless of course it's a piano.
D
D
Originally posted by keithmusic:
I've been given Keith Jarrett's music before from a friend. People really get addicted to him. And it's hard to top George Winston too.
Keith is by far the world's number 1 improvising pianist, and a complete pianist as well. He does it all. Here's Keith on some straight ahead jazz:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HDeJP6DgNbo

The exceptional thing about his playing is that he picked a tune with a chord pattern that has a tendency to lock you into certain circle of fifth melodic configurations and yet he completely avoids cliches and patterns because he is spontaneously creating.

Like Tristano, his lines were not more by product of hand than mind. He has just as much technique as Peterson and Tatum, yet chooses to play flurries of notes only when integrally part of his melodic stretches, not because it's time to revert to pattern 1, pattern 2, pattern 3, etc.

In other words, his playing is free from needless embellishment that most improvising musicians must fill their lines with like using hamburger helper and breadcrumbs to make 1/4 of meat into a 1 pound meatloaf.

This is why his lines are so unique, the product of his mind, not his technical training. Though he's covering a tune in the same style that Bud Powell, Herbie Hancock, McCoy Tyner, Billy Taylor, Oscar Peterson or any other piano jazz great has covered thousands of times, his playing sounds like none of these artists at any time because he is always playing well within the headroom of his technical capabilities and is completely relaxed translating within the zone of his flow, playing in the moment.

This sets Keith far apart from the majority of improvising pianists and he's the best there is.

99% of what Oscar played, though fantastic in its own right, has its origins in either Art Tatum, practice, or muscle memorization.

Keith is always in the moment, always INSTANTLY composing, and that's true whether he's playin be-bop, one of his classical, orchestral pieces, pipe organ, or new age.

Of interest, he is scatting everything he's playing, and though not a singer, doing so with precise accuracy!! How's that for hearing what you play?

K
K
Hi disciple - thanks for this post - some of your posts verge on the metaphysical (not that theres anything wrong with that) but this analysis of KJ has helped me make sense of why I find his playing so interesting.. Ta! :-)

Steinway K - Kurzweil PC 88(wrecked and sold for spares) - Yamaha S90 - rhodes 760 - korg wavestation- Hammond XK1 etc..
P
P
Mark Joggerst, Philip Glass and Michael Nymann are three of mine.

Thanks for the links!

D
D
Originally posted by ktom:
Hi disciple - thanks for this post - some of your posts verge on the metaphysical (not that theres anything wrong with that) but this analysis of KJ has helped me make sense of why I find his playing so interesting.. Ta! :-)
True improvisation involves processes that are equally psychological and musical. To tap the music of YOUR mind, to create something new out of the sum of your experiences, rather than merely replay what youve trained your hands to do, requires introspection of a transcendental level.

Keith is the epitome of this. Watch him as he plays. At times, his lines, directing the feed of what he hears and sings brings him right up out of his seat. There's no stalling, no 'er, 'uhhhh, 'you know what I'm saying', or stammering, or needless embellishments interjected while trying to figure what to play next, there's total communion with the sound he's hearing, then producing that transcends his hands and the instrument.

Keith is the epitome of what I'm referring to when I've said that when you're playing in the moment, in your zone, one gets the feeling that if you were to STOP playing, the music would still continue on its own. In reality, when I stop, the music DOES continue, because it's alive in me and always there. I just translate it at any particular time when I sit at the piano and JOIN the flow so others can hear what I hear.

This is very true of Keith's playing.

By comparison, here's a very good jazz musician, but not a brilliant improvisor. EVERYTHING she plays is repeated over and over, even her bass lines are quite static, and although she's good at what she does, her lines are quite uninspired and the byproduct of standard, watered down Jimmy Smith lines, a few Charlie Parkers, a couple of Joey DeFrancescos, and a few 1950s Coltranes to boot. Everything everybody's heard before. Listen to the difference between this and Keith's All the Things you Are as far as playing in the moment. It's all just potatos with a little meat on the side:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=60ut7yIuCEY

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I think this player is the best new age pianist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de9aSShl0CM

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
D
D
Originally posted by rintincop:
I think this player is the best new age pianist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de9aSShl0CM
That's quite an amalgamation!

25% Oscar
25% Ahmad Jamal/Mal Waldron (12.5% each)
25% Ramsey Lewis
25% Richard Tee

Did you catch that? Where is he in the mix? I don't hear him.

No McCoy? I was waiting for him to throw in some quartal comping and pentatonics. Sensibly, he left McCoy out of the Blues/Gospel-Jazz mix.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I like Ludovico Einaudi - his pieces are soothing and melodic.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I agree with Euan; I have a very soft spot in my heart for Einaudi, and he is my personal favorite composer. I do recognize, though, that his works can be somewhat repetitive and simple. Which is why I like to play them. smile

I agree that Keith Jarrett has produced some technical masterpieces, and when you take into account that a lot (most? all?) of his work is improvisation, it makes your jaw drop. The Koln Concert is sheer genius, imo.

But my problem with Jarrett is that I like some of his work but find other pieces too frenetic and lacking in melody for my taste. I actually wouldn't call him a new age artist; he's more jazz.

So, if I could only name one individual, George Winston might end up winning my vote as "best new age pianist" in terms of technical skill and compositional ability, not to mention the instrumental role he played in establishing the genre.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't know what the term "new age" means, but my favourite not classical pianist is this man :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HxuiWYPp6bw&feature=related

Ragnhild

Trying to play the piano:
http://www.box.net/public/dbr23ll03e
A
A
William Joseph and Maksim Mrvica. The later would appear much greater without the weird background music. but his new album will be just piano.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Wouldn't Keith Jarrett object to being called a "new age pianist"?
Isn't new age like Yanni?
How can you compare Keith Jarrett to George Winston?

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I'm quite sure that Keith Jarrett would rather place his head inside the piano and knock out the prop stick than be labeled a "New Age Pianist."

D
D
Originally posted by Monica K.:
[QB] I actually wouldn't call him a new age artist; he's more jazz.

This is true. His improvs embrace and combine categories. One album can sound almost orcehstral-classical,like Arbour Zena (which I believe is his crowning masterpiece), then the next, more what some might deem New Age, like Koln Concert, then jazz, a trio ("Shades") that sounds like a cross between Weather Report (fusion) and straight ahead bebop, then interject a pipe organ album that sounds like a cross between Bach and William Bolcomb, yet all uniquely his own music. Jarrett's music crosses many lines and it's always inspiredly original.

L
L
Sorry folks.

I guess I never heard of Mr. Jarrett.

What a revelation! Man, is he HOT! Where have I been?

Disciple … thank you, thank you, thank you...

Guys, I had to acknowledge this. Personally, I can't stand "New Age"...

Please go back to the topic... thumb

l’s dad smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Here is another video from the greatest new age pianist ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i95K987oWeY

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission