2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 11 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1142675 02/27/05 07:39 PM
T
thomosh Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi everyone, I'm a beginning piano student and what concerns me is that I don't want to be someone that cannot play without sheet music. How does a person go about learning to improvise? What are the required skill sets..? I think jazz is such an esoteric skill that I wonder if it's an inate ability? At some point you have to free yourself do you not? You have to let the pulse and rhythm within take over. I'm at a point after nearly a year of study where I want to branch out of classical and head toward more contemporary type genres. Can anyone help me get started in the right direction?

Thanks

#1142676 02/28/05 01:01 AM
G
G
Sometimes just jamming in one key with one scale, for example C lydian, is helpful. That way you can concentrate on making phrases and such. Also try singing a line and then repeating it on the piano. That'll help you a lot, too. Oh, and listen to a whole lot of CDs with improvisation on them.

Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
http://www.orangetreesamples.com
#1142677 02/28/05 02:09 AM
J
J
Jazz is not the only improvisational music. Many, if not most, of the important composers in the realm of "serious" music were also very good improvisers - some famously so. Go ahead and improvise on the music you're learning now or music you're already listening to. Just change the melody, the rhythm, the accompaniment, etc.. Play with it. Have fun. If you want to play Jazz, then school yourself in that genre, but there is a stylistic and historical structure in Jazz that will take additional effort. and a lot of time.

Love that #11!
#1142678 03/02/05 11:08 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Get a theory book, like Mark Levine Jazz Piano book.

You are going to need to understand scale theory to be able to play jazz. Knowing what scale goes best with a particular chord in a given context is the premise of jazz improvisation...

Haywood
-------------
#1142679 03/04/05 03:34 PM
A
A
My advice is to do a self analysis of your desires to play jazz. It is a wide based field of taste and steeped in historic traditions. Nobody is restricted in their style, be it any of the styles up to the present.

Listen to a wide range of pianists. Some have extemely difficult techniques which may inspire you to emulate, or not!

I have been playing a very long time but I only play solo at home and sometimes do playalong with other pianists/bands which is very pleasurable to me. It is easy to find the key if you can play by ear and if you cannot this is the moment to try and do so.

You're certainly correct to mention pulse and rhythm without that basis I do not relate with jazz. Though some may differ on that point.

My favourite pianists are Oscar Petersen (Montreaux Jazz Festival 1977 DVD) that should set your pulse going in spite of the awful camera shots!); Art Tatum; Teddy Wilson = 'Total Perfection'; Any of the good stride pianists like Ralph Sutton. Tuition from Dick Hyman on TV show recordings; and so on to the latest modern stylists.

Alan

#1142680 03/04/05 06:08 PM
To me the difference between playing with and without music is that when you learn just to read the notes you are learning only one dimension. The way to learn to improvise is to really know the instrument and to really know the instrument you have to learn theory. Learn all of your scales and learn the chords, and all of their inversions. What Heywood said is exactly what you need to learn, what scale goes best with a particular chord. I couldn't improvise a thing until I started to learn my scales, my chords and all of a sudden, I just started to improvise. Start with the key of C, play a C major chord in your left hand and improvise with your right hand using the C scale. It's amazing what you'll come up. If you have a good ear, try playing a song in the key of C and use the C chord. Good luck..P.S. a good jazz teacher can take you there..

#1142681 03/06/05 06:22 PM
T
thomosh Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hey everyone getting close to a year of lessons doing mostly classical but tonight I just sat down at the piano to try to improvise a little just to see if I could come up with something jazzy that sounded good. It was pretty rough but I think I made some progress. I was just arpeggioing (sp) dominant 7ths in the left hand and trying to match up some nice scale runs in the right hand while not messing up the base in the left. what do you guys think of just sitting down at the piano and trying to use your theory knowledge and inate rhythm to bust out some stuff? It was a helluva lot of fun smile

#1142682 03/07/05 02:43 PM
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Around 95% of my piano playing is free improvisation; for me that's what my music is all about. I do play some classical, some jazz and a lot of ragtime. I have amassed a heap of compositions, and these are almost always based on significant (to me) ideas which have occurred during improvisation.

I never use rules, theories, "shoulds" or "ought tos" though; the only "rule" I use is my ear. Neither do I try to imitate playing styles and forms of the past, no matter how accomplished their proponents.

Part of the delight of this is that I never know what a session will produce - everything forms itself organically, so to speak. It's hard to describe this process or the effect it has on me, let alone teach it to somebody. The first major step, it seems to me, is to get rid of inhibition, which undertaking took me almost ten years when I was young - but I was probably a laggard in this respect.

In any case, keep doing it - you will never regret it as you get older.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
#1142683 03/07/05 03:03 PM
T
thomosh Offline OP
OP Offline
T
So I'm not wasting my time even if my improvisation sounds pretty uneven and unmatched? It's very difficult to separate the hands but I wonder if that will just come with repeated effort. Just sitting there trying to keep a simple constant base line going with a melody line on top is a challenge for me. Let alone trying to change chords,rhythm, and the melody. Hopefully it will continue to get better as hand independence progresses and my ears improve. Let me know if anyone thinks I could be putting my time elsewhere.

#1142684 03/07/05 08:54 PM
You are not wasting your time just sitting down and improvising..for 20 years I concentrated on reading the notes...very rarely did I ever just sit down and play without music. So I can play a pretty good Mozart Sonata, but so what, so can 1,000's of other pianists..I think creativity and improvising is great...with classical lessons I could never compose, but now that I'm taking jazz piano I can..it brings out your creativity because you have to learn to improvise. I noticed that trying to sing or scat a melody in my head first really helps with improvsing.

#1142685 03/11/05 08:22 AM
Take a simple song you can almost hum in your sleep (Three Blind Mice, Frere Jacque, and similar), and keep playing it -- over and over and over. Soon enough, you'll start improvising with phrasing, arpeggiation, different chords, and so on. You know more than you realize about what sounds good. This approach builds confidence to work within the song yet develops the needed sense of freedom.

I'd be leery of too much scale work. Some is good, and scales (in whatever way you work them) can sound interesting, but ultimately they are too rigid. Budding rock guitarists often fall into this trap when learning to make licks. They'll develop phenomenal chops, but listening to it is about as enjoyable as reading a dictionary.

#1142686 03/11/05 12:19 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Translating what you hear in your head (through the piano) is the goal -- without question!

Now what you should strive to do is get good ideas flowing in your head. You could listen to the players you admire of course. You could sing little diddys and modify them slightly with continuous iteration.

Now comes the technical part translating what you hear to what you play. You could hunt and peck around the keyboard to find it. Or you could practice scales to get certain kinds of sounds in your head to relate to. If you hear something played by Oscar Peterson that sounds cool, having played your scales you know he is playing a bebop mixolydian lick. Miraculously, this will minimize you hunting and pecking.

Some people don't like scales. As a technical learner, I find them useful whereby they give me framework to compare a musical phrase I just heard to one I know. Moreover, playing scales opens up ideas and the different colors help fuel the creative process.

Practicing scales doesn't have to be boring. Try playing an Ab major scale over a C triad, Db triad and an Eb Major triad and tell me that same major scale sounds the same... GO ahead try it!

Haywood
-------------
#1142687 03/11/05 02:27 PM
This is true about scales. Songs are written in them, after all! This was actually a revelation to me when first learning. I have no idea what I was thinking before that moment. (Most of the time I had a German teacher, in Germany (father was stationed there), and I didn't understand explanations.)

When picking out a song by ear, my first step is knowing at least whether it's in a major or minor key. That alone reduces much hunting and pecking.

Which leads me to ear playing, which was the other part of your question, thomosh.

People have an ear in varying degrees. Whatever the skill level, though, it can always be improved with practice.

I used to be able to play a song by ear only if I liked it a lot. I had to almost swoon before my ear would be sensitive enough to recall it and play. This was pretty limiting (limited taste in songs?), so I started working at catchy jingles heard on TV, a snippet of a song on the radio, things like that. It still had to excite me, but by working on smaller pieces, I got more experience.

The effort to recall and play these bits and such broadened my tastes and developed my ear. Chords, though, still require an extra effort. I must listen harder to get them approximately right.

#1142688 03/13/05 03:35 PM
improvising is definitly not an easy task, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes very simple.

i used to play piano for 6/7 years, but finally quit because i hated it. but! later i learned a little bit of chord structure, and started practicing familiar songs with jsut the chords written, and now i play keyboard for a church worship team! to be honest, i can hardly read music anymore, but it doesnt really matter. i can just listen to someone playing a song,figure out what key its in, and follow along. =)

in my opinion, the key to improvising is learning to recognize how the notes sound, learning theory,[although i dont know much about it], and learning all the different key signatures and such. or you might be lucky enough to have an ear for improvising. smile

i find that playing music right off of sheet music or a classical music is quite boring, and structured, and gives me no freedom whatsoever.. but its good to learn the basics, be familiar with the piano, and the notes, then you can run with it!

goodluck!

#1142689 03/13/05 06:48 PM
I don't know much about Jazz, (or Jazz Piano for that matter because I play flute) but I do know the main part is it comes from you soul, from what you feel. So try to let yourself go when you improv. Think happy thoughts. laugh

"Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the Earth" ..........................................................Well then I shall become Meek, so I can obtain WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!!! MUHAHA!!!!
#1142690 03/16/05 06:38 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
thomosh

I have got something that might help you.

1) Learn a simple LH voicing for a II-V-I-I
2) Understand the local key you are in, and know the major scale that goes with it.
3) As you are comping your LH voicings (with a metronome), improvise over the scale with your RH.

Now do this in all 12 keys as you will find certain phrases come more naturally in other keys.

This should keep you busy for at least two weeks.

Haywood
-------------
#1142691 03/16/05 07:44 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
This should keep you busy for at least two weeks.
It's kept me busy for almost 20 years!!! wink

PianoWorld disclaimer: musician, producer, arranger, author, clinician, consultant, PS2 aficionado, secret agent...
#1142692 03/16/05 09:20 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by hgiles:
thomosh

Do you mean, for instance in C Maj, to play D-G-C-C in quarter notes at 4/4?

Try playing a Db major scale over a C triad, Db triad and an Eb Major triad and tell me that same major scale sounds the same... GO ahead try it
I don't understand-- what do you mean by play "over" the triads? And I assume you do not mean simultaneously over the three triads, right?

Would that be, for instance,
Db-Eb-E-F-Gb-G-Ab-Bb-C-Db;
then Db-Eb-F-Gb-Ab-Bb-C-Db;
then Db-Eb-F-Gb-G-Ab-Bb-C-Db ? confused

Estonically yours,

Ivorythumper

"Man without mysticism is a monster"
#1142693 03/16/05 07:56 PM
G
G
Originally posted by ivorythumper:
Originally posted by hgiles:
[b] thomosh

Do you mean, for instance in C Maj, to play D-G-C-C in quarter notes at 4/4?

Try playing a Db major scale over a C triad, Db triad and an Eb Major triad and tell me that same major scale sounds the same... GO ahead try it
I don't understand-- what do you mean by play "over" the triads? And I assume you do not mean simultaneously over the three triads, right?

Would that be, for instance,
Db-Eb-E-F-Gb-G-Ab-Bb-C-Db;
then Db-Eb-F-Gb-Ab-Bb-C-Db;
then Db-Eb-F-Gb-G-Ab-Bb-C-Db ? confused [/b]
By "play over," I think he means that you play the triad in your left hand and then improvise lines in your right.

Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
http://www.orangetreesamples.com
#1142694 03/17/05 09:30 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for clarifying that -- I guess I made it a lot more complicated that was intended!

Estonically yours,

Ivorythumper

"Man without mysticism is a monster"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission