2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 8 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
I'm wondering what some of your favorite piano albums are.

I'm tempted to limit this to solo piano albums, but I think that would be a bit too restrictive. After all, I'm just looking for more good listening ideas smile

Currently the albums I'm listening to the most are:

Keith Jarrett - The Melody at Night with You
Chick Corea - Expressions
Herbie Hancock - The Piano
Bill Evans - Alone
Bill Evans - Alone Again
Bill Evans - Solo Sessions Vol. 1
Dave Brubeck - One Alone Solo Piano
Keith Jarrett - Live at Carnegie Hall

I've been listening to a fair amount of Diana Krall lately also, but she doesn't seem to fit the bill of a "piano" album.

------
If you knew what you were doing, you'd probably be bored.
- Fresco's Law
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Marcia Ball - I have several but my favorite is called either Marcia Ball (period) or Blue House. It's New Orleans honky tonk and blues - her band includes sax, bass, drums, and guitar, so it's not solo piano, but boy can she play a piano.

Jerry Lee Lewis - Last Man Standing - duets with a host of different musicians. Probably don't need to describe his music laugh

The Best of Fats Waller EDIT: The Very Best of Fats Waller smile end EDIT - includes Ain't Misbehavin', Handful of Keys, It's a Sin to Tell a Lie, et al et al et al. The king of stride, of course.

But something more likely up your alley is Bert Dalton, Midnight Coffee. He's a Santa Fe jazz pianist, but right up there with the best. This album is recorded with John Clayton, bass (described as "artistic director of jazz for the Los Angeles Philharmonic and the Hollywood Bowl") and Jeff Hamilton, drummer ("seen on Natalie Cole's Great Performances PBS Special"). Dalton has played with "Bud Shank, Herbie Mann, Anita O'Day, Regina Carter, and Frank Morgan." I like his music a lot. I'll see if it can be ordered on-line.

YUP - I just searched for Bert Dalton Midnight Coffee and it's available several places, including a single download for $.99 from Napster, CDBaby, and Barnes and Noble.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
OP Offline
jotur, thanks for the killer recommendation on Marcia Ball !!!! I just listened to some samples of her Blue House album and it's fantastic. My musical tastes vary quite a bit and this fits right in with a bunch of stuff I have like Little Feat, Neville Brothers, Dr. John, etc.

Which reminds me, a couple of other piano albums I'm listening to lately are:

Dr. John - Mercernary
Jools Holland - Swinging the Blues, Dancing the Ska
Jools Holland - Moving Out To The Country

------
- Fresco's Law
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Yeah, I heard her in concert here a year or so ago. If you get a chance to see her she is a showman. There's some (pretty poor) youtube's of her - she has a stage piano at knee level, sits with her legs crossed and her mules (backless shoes) hanging off her toes laugh LONG fingers - but in person is bestest. The place was packed, and folks dancing in the aisles. I think Dr John was a mentor. I like her other albums, too.

I'll have to try the Jools Holland.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Any album by Oscar Peterson. He does not loose the plot and there is a solid beat. His finest recording is the 1977 Montreaux Jazz Festival. IMO

Any takers on improvements to that?

Alan (swingal)

I enjoy the Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano Trio by Claude Bolling and An Evening With John Petrucci and Jordan. Neither of them are strictly piano but both have feature amazing pianists.

Ce n'est rien de mourir; c'est affreux de ne pas vivre.
Too much running through my head to think of many, but Michel Camilo's "One More Once" is a great album, IMO. It's really cheap over at Amazon and is a great synthesis of jazz, rock and latin vibes (something he calls is "New York style"). I enjoy all of his albums, really. Great pianist.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff." - Frank Zappa
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Vince Guaraldi, Bob Seeley, Mark "Mr. B" Lincoln Braun, Bradley Sowash, David Nevue, Errol Garner, Dave McKenna... the list goes on and on and on and...u get the idea...

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

George Winston: Autumn, December, and Forest

Everything by Ludovico Einaudi, esp. I Giorni and Divenire

Rick Wakeman has a lovely little solo piano album called Country Airs

OP Offline
I just discovered Eldar Djangirov, in particular his Live at the Blue Note album.

I think he's a really great jazz pianist, and he's only 20 years old !!!

Amazing stuff.

Thanks for the new recommendations.

Monica, I'm definitely going to check out the Rick Wakeman album. Many moons ago I was a huge Yes fan but I had forgotten all about him. Thanks for jogging my memory.

------
- Fresco's Law
OP Offline
Another album I just discovered that I just love is "Ahmad Jamal - I Remember Duke, Hoagy & Strayhorn"

------
- Fresco's Law
Guy Offline
My absolute favorite is South African pianist Abdullah Ibrahim (early in his career, he released albums under his name Dollar Brand). He has a number of solo piano albums, and I'd be hard-pressed to recommend just one of them. Perhaps "African Piano". He also recorded many duet albums (piano/bass or piano/sax), small group albums (his small group was named Ekaya) and a couple of orchestral albums.

I think Abdullah Ibrahim has a unique voice on piano. You'll hear elements of gospel, jazz (his influences were Fats Waller, Duke Ellington and Thelonius Monk), blues and African rhythm and textures.

I also highly recommend the "Live at Maybeck Recital Hall" albums on the Concord label. I've heard about a half-dozen of them and they've all been great. One particular favorite is the volume by Kenny Werner, who is arguably a modern disciple of Bill Evans.

P
P
Bill Evans' "You Must Believe In Spring" - not because it's his best (it isn't) but because upon hearing it I was awestruck. I was already into jazz at the time but lacked direction. I'd heard of Bill Evans but didn't appreciate his talent. Seems like Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea were getting all the air play. But when I heard Bill play the title cut, I had to get that album (my first of many Bill Evans albums). Listen and learn.

V
V
I don't think anyone will have heard of this one, but I'll go with Piano tribute to Dashboard Confessional.

You can check it out on Amazon, just type in Piano tribute to Dashboard Confessional, and then scroll down and just click where it says "listen to all" and you can listen to any of the songs

It has some really good melodies there, you might be surprised.

well I'm 20 years old, and I'm teaching myself piano.
Professor Longhair ->

Crawfish Fiesta and Houseparty New Orleans Style...

both available from Amazon MP3 store.

Originally posted by vanityx3:
I don't think anyone will have heard of this one, but I'll go with Piano tribute to Dashboard Confessional.
I just looked it up on Rhapsody, and there's a whole big series of "Piano Tribute" albums, including Rush, REM, U2, Dido, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, etc. etc. wow

I am going to be in for hours of entertainment...

DeepElem, the Wakeman "Country Airs" album is not like his usual stuff. It's definitely new age in style. But very very pretty.

'Wildflower' and 'White Owl' by Keiko Matsui. [Linked Image]

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I see that Bill Evans is very popular amongst the viewers of this topic.

He is certainly technically very melodic and what I call a mellow mood pianist. He is not my favourite jazz pianist. I prefer the swing players like Teddy Wilson who combined melody and beat with fantastic arpeggios all to a strict timing which added to the beauty.

I get the feeling that young, recently taught pianists and current students are more attached to
technical playing and rather abstract sounds than old people like me are. I believe that we have little theory (or none!in my case)and just hear the beauty of the sounds and the beat just like the human soul plus heart beat. Is this correct?

Perhaps it is a virtual impossibility to copy such music by ear and memory? whereas easier remembered tunes are not difficult. Even longer renditions like Fats Waller composed.

I therefore, will never be able to remember such as these modern compositions in my head like most of you perhaps?

Please try and understand what I mean. Is it the technical requirement that is my downfall?.

It seems to be almost like modern abstract paintings and sculpture which I also have great difficulty with.

I try to understand New Age music, but find it difficult, due to lack of connected structure and flow of melody.

I just bought a Bill Evans DVD called,'But Beautiful' and it is very good if you like his style. I have also got the well known DVD called 'The Universal Mind Of Bill Evans' very good for learning his style from, if you wish to play that way.Rather a 'masterclass' I think.

Funny isn't it? that none of us can understand anyone else's sense of hearing and especially their feelings mentally and soulful emotions.

I'm still hoping someone(and I have a name in mind !)who can tell us what they get as feelings from this beat-less yet harmonic phrase-work so
passionately described to us here.

Alan (swingal)

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Quote:(swingal)
I try to understand New Age music, but find it difficult, due to lack of connected structure and flow of melody.

I remember reading Sammy Cahn saying to Jimmy Van Husen "can you give me a little grace note here?"
Jimmy's response was ..if I give you a grace note here..down the line I'd have to give you another and another.. I'll write a new song!
that little change affects the whole structure of a song!

most new age music has no structure..so its hard to memorize..

A
A
Hello, new here, great place...this is such a broad topic, there are simply so many great recordings and pianists out there, in a lot of different styles..and everyone mentioned here are simply great...my list would be too long, so my almost everyday listens and inspirations come mostly from Herbie, all phases, Kenny Kirkland, especially on Codes of the Underground w/Wynton, Evans, Chick, Kelly, all of the Michael Brecker lps have great boards on them..see, I knew I couldnt answer this one....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission