2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Colin Miles, bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 10 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Debussy20:
BJ, Tell us more about your "teacher"
We should talk about his youtube video. The one that you do not think much of and base your opinions of him as a mediocre pianist on. Do you understand the music he is playing. The harmonies and control. The voice leading? We should analyze it together and see first hand how "simple" and mundane it is. I have a hard time putting together 4 bars of music like that without sitting down for a week to carefully work it out, then figure out how to play it. he can do it on the fly, right out of his head. As simple and mundane as it seems to you, to jazz players it is not.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
This is a waste of time.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This is a waste of time.
I imagine It wasn't a waste of time though to wipe your jack boots off on Disciple, was it? Without anyone to challenge you. How sad that you feel better about yourself by doing that.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This is a waste of time.
Matthew, I just watched your youtube videos and after doing so find it proposterous that you would badmouth and criticize Disciples technique.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think worshipping is another form of discrimination. You divinize the person instead of seein him or her as human being with his or her merits and faults. So it's sad of the see Disciple student speak of his teacher as some kind of demi-human robot of music. Unless this student is actually Disciple himself.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! Son of Disciple! I'm off (again).

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by BJones:
This is a waste of time.
Matthew, I just watched your youtube videos and after doing so find it proposterous that you would badmouth and criticize Disciples technique.
That does it. I've tried to avoid this damned silly thread, but alas it keeps coming up on the side bar. BJones, the great student of the even greater Disciple.

You truly follow in the steps of the "master" and have started taking self-satisfied pot shots at everyone in sight. Why don't you get a life, buddy, and stop wasting everybody's time.

You are a real pompous piece of work.

Jason
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
[b] This is a waste of time.
Matthew, I just watched your youtube videos and after doing so find it proposterous that you would badmouth and criticize Disciples technique. [/b]
I have never communicated with Disciples nor said one word to him on this entire forum. I've read some of his posts and some seem very snobbish and immature. I'd like to think at 14, I know the difference between what's acceptable and what isn't in forum posts; some older people still apparently don't.

As for my technique... I've only been playing.. hmmm.... 40 years less than him. I don't care how good and great he is, he has no reason to act like that and you have no reason to pick on me like this.
Matt

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by argerichfan:
This is a waste of time.
That does it. I've tried to avoid this damned silly thread, but alas it keeps coming up on the side bar. BJones, the great student of the even greater Disciple.

You truly follow in the steps of the "master" and have started taking self-satisfied pot shots at everyone in sight. Why don't you get a life, buddy, and stop wasting everybody's time.

And it's not pompous for you to contend what he can and can't play? You are the one taking pot shots at his playing. For me to say that his technique is unmatched is pompous? That's my opinion. Your opinioon is that he's a lousy pianistr with severe limitations, even though his video shows otherwise. My opinion is the opposite of yours. If I said, "Argerich has the finest technique in the world" there wouldn't be a problem. If I say, Disciple can play things that she probably hasn't thought of, then we have a problem. Why do you feel that you must be the judge of what I think? I see the man every week. I'm always awed when he plays something. That's why I've studied with him since I was 14.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[b]
[b] This is a waste of time.
Matthew, I just watched your youtube videos and after doing so find it proposterous that you would badmouth and criticize Disciples technique. [/b]
I have never communicated with Disciples nor said one word to him on this entire forum. I've read some of his posts and some seem very snobbish and immature. I'd like to think at 14, I know the difference between what's acceptable and what isn't in forum posts; some older people still apparently don't.

As for my technique... I've only been playing.. hmmm.... 40 years less than him. I don't care how good and great he is, he has no reason to act like that and you have no reason to pick on me like this.
Matt [/b]
I'm not picking on you. I expressed my opinion on your playing. I'm sorry if it didn't meet with your expectations. Over a dozen members have posted various negative comments about Disciples playing, some I'm sure that never even saw his video. Most of you are of the opinion that he's a lousy pianist incapable of bumbling his way through a classical piece. If I don't share that opinion, why is it picking on you? If my opinion of your playing is that you aren't qualified to bash Disciples technique, am I not entitled to that opinion? You're all entuitiled to say Disciple can't play, I can't say that you're all wrong. Just watch his video. Anyone thats ever sat at a keyboard should be able to tell that he can play the piano. I've posted on jaz forums before. Ive never seen such a rush to bash someone's abilities before anywhere.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This is a waste of time.

Why don't we look at 3 miniutes of Disciples playing:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5C5gnAqgttY&feature=user

Can someone please explain to me why the general opinion here is that he's a hack as a pianist with very limited technique and you all feel that his playing should be openly trashed on this forum?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This is a waste of time.

I didn't say I'm great. I'm good, not great. But I know my limitations. Do you have limitations? Or do you really think you're good enough to bash Disciples playing on a daily basis? I don't know of anyone who's ever heard him and walked away shaking their heads, "That dude is terrible, worst pianist I've ever heard". Only here have I heard that about his playing. Only here is everybodys playing unmatched.

Mr. Jones,

Just where did Matthew bad mouth Disciples technique?

Brendan, Ken, anybody?

Does this thread need to continue? It is now a platform for truly childish behavior and ego-pumping nonsense. I don't care if you love the guy or he disgusts you, it should be plain to the meanest intelligence that many (most?) of you are truly behaving down to the lowest common denominator the medium encourages. For instance: Hey btb, why do you continue to bait this guy by launching meaningless challenges written in your usual barely-decipherable pseudo-poetic (!) garble? So you think the guy can't play that stuff. Why? You've never presented a scintilla of evidence (other than said garble). And why do you have to drip sarcasm all over this forum. Posts like yours, coupled with Disciples' volcanic and immature responses make great theatre for you?

B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Enough.

Take it to private messages or off the board completely.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi BJones,

I admire your spirit in defending your teacher but you are doing so in a completely uninformed manner that is not doing him or you any good at all.

As far as I know everybody here agrees that Disciple is a very good pianist - it was just his manner that wound some people up. At which point he decided to 'throw out this toys' and post a series of personal attacks against a particular member - which is what got him banned. You need to get your facts right before slating everybody here in such a generic way.

And BTW, you do owe young Matt an apology. As he said, he's never communicated with Disciple, so you cannot justify finding it "proposterous that you [Matt] would badmouth and criticize Disciples technique" - since clearely he has not.

Oops, the "Enough" wasn't there when I posted; let me know if you want me to edit my msg away...

Will a moderator please step up and do something. This is embarrassing. Six pages?

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission