2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 4 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
pete Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Help me, I could be totally wrong about this; I don't have enough formal theory training (in fact I have zero theory training) to answer this.

I am learning the standard "The Way You Look Tonight" by Dorothy Fields and Jerome Kern. It's an evergreen used by jazzmen for decades. It also is just lovely played straight as a ballad. I am wondering if Jerome Kern may have borrowed the chord progression from Chopin's Prelude in E Minor Opus 28 No. 4.

The part of the bridge that has the lyrics "and that laugh that wrinkles your nose touches my foolish heart..." has the chord progression:

Gflat, Gflat dim, AFlat min 7th, Dflat 7th, Gfl maj 7th, E fl min, B flat &th sus, B flat 7th, E fl 6th..

Anyone think my suspicions are right?

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
No, if Kern took anything from Chopin, he stole it! He had no intention of giving it back. smile

Semipro Tech
K
K
I don't know about the "The Way You Look Tonight" similarity, but have you ever noticed the resemblance between Chopin's Op. 20 No. 4 and A.C. Jobim's "How Insensitive"?

P
P
It's no secret that Jobim was a huge Chopin fan! The names are even similar! laugh

But he mainly enjoyed the Mazurkas... smile

How can any musician not feel inspired by such great music?

gggEb!
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Hi All:

I am from the ABF...the huge "Devoted to Chopin" thread. But I noticed this topic and couldn't help but popping in to read it.

That song is one of my all time favorites, music and lyrics so perfect. And now, that you mention it, the bridge "and the smile..." does bear a resemblance to that soulful prelude.

Wish you all would visit our "site." We have some really great stuff about Chopin in all aspects of his life and music, close to 2,000 posts now.

Just the last few will give you some indication...

Visit here... and scroll down the page.

and yes, "how could anyone not feel inspired by such great music?"

Regards,
Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
I'm wondering if the progression you stated might be easier to compare to the Chopin prelude if it were set out generically with Roman numerals instead of the key-specific chord names.

My knowledge of theory is really weak, so I'm not sure if that makes sense—or if I even used the word "generically" correctly in that context.

But I'm interested in the answer to your question!

Steven

Originally posted by kawai9046:
I don't know about the "The Way You Look Tonight" similarity, but have you ever noticed the resemblance between Chopin's Op. 20 No. 4 and A.C. Jobim's "How Insensitive"?
You mean op 28, no 4, the same piece that this thread is comparing to The Way Look Tonight.

As for the comparison with The Way You Look Tonight, which part of the prelude are you talking about? Also, I think your second chord change is wrong (Gb dim). The melody is a Db. The second bar of the bridge is a G dim, or it can also be Bbm6, and the 10th bar, which is the bar you have written is also G dim. I substitute an A7 here though.

This is what I play on the bridge:
GbMaj7 Bbm6 Abm7 Db7 GbMaj7 Bbm7 Adim Abm7 Db7
GbMaj7 A7 DMaj7 Db7 GbMaj7 Ebm7 Fm7 Bb7

I know the DMaj7 looks strange, but I change the melody notes also:
Db Db Db Db Db E D B

working on:
Goldberg Variations
K
K
There's nothing in that chord sequence that isn't typical of Broadway material (except maybe how exceptionally well the melody and harmony fit together, but then that's genius for you).

The bridge is in the bIII key of Eb, which is Gb - this was not uncommon for the day (going to bVI was another favourite, eg Dream a Little Dream). What you have is the I-VI-ii-V progession (see Heart and Soul) with a substitution or two (I think the second chord should be a Gdim, not Gb dim), which repeats three times, then on the fourth time it needs to get back to Eb, which it does by the suspension on the Bb.

So it's basic tin pan alley building blocks, just built rather well.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The two works are obviously close to pete's heart ... as with me ... but a harmonizing slide of heavy LH chords to match the words ...

"And that laugh that wrinkles your nose
Touches my foolish heart " ...

where Kern changes key (16 measures) ... is so differently structured, pitched, tempoed and balanced to that of the poetic single note outline of the Chopin Prelude 28-4 ... as to contain only the most distant and whimsical of similarities.

But what a charming song "The Way You Look Tonight" ... my first taste was perhaps Kern’s most popular hit "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" ... have since given up smoking ... someone said you live longer ... then “Who Wants to Live Forever?”

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission