2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 14 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
B
Originally posted by brian13:
I dont consider him my favorite, but I have to mention Art Tatum, because he is absolutely amazing , anyone else know more about him?
I know that Rachmaninoff said he was the greatest pianist of any style. Gershwin, Rubinstein, and Horowitz were all greatly impressed. I also believe that Horowitz was slightly envious of his ability to improvise so easily and said that if Art Tatum ever took up classical piano that he(horowitz) would quit. One reason he was so amazing is that he was born practically blind and ended up with horrible vision. He would then listen to piano duets on a piano roll or something and play them on his piano unaware that what he was playing was meant for two people. From what I've heard and seen, he is without a doubt, one of the best piansist of the 20th century. Off the top of my head, I'd say his biggest rivals were Busoni, Paderweski and josef lhevinne.

But to answer the question originally at hand, I'm feeling James Booker right now. I can't honestly choose one, because there are far too many outstanding pianist out there.

193866 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thank you for your post as I am laughing out loud now. Horowitz saying he would quit if Art Tatum ever took up classical piano. Good one. Horowitz was my ideal when he played Mozart. Never have I heard him equaled. I read Mozart was his favorite composer to play. Has anyone else read or heard this too? Sandy B

Sandra M. Boletchek 08/02/06
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Sorry to mention this again but are'nt we supposed to state 'Our all time favourite Musician ??

So why do we deviate from the question? Yes I know it's difficult not too. But surely should stick to the question. I have to say it's almost impossible as if like me you have many favourite musicians depending on what they play and even if not only piano.

May we perhaps re-define the question or allow variables in the answer we give?

If I may respond to Sandra of Classical pianists I too like Horowitz greatly.

If you wish to decide this question based on Classical pianists then do try and obtain the DVD 'Art of the Piano'. And no,it doesn't mean 'Art Tatum' he is portrayed elsewhere.

I must say I cannot decide who is best between Tatum and Horowitz, but Art had the awful disability of half blindness poor chap.

Alan (swingal)

M
M
very interesting thread to read through. Someone mentioned James Booker - gotta love that. I have many favorites as most of us do. But by far and away my top guy is Bruce Springsteen. caught on to him at a young age and his music was the first that I really "listened" to. I have grown up with his music and actually right this moment I am listening to his new CD for the very first time. And loving it.

B
B
I've said it a couple times, but I'll say it again. James Booker is definitely in the top and the reason I reiterate this right now is because I recently obtained a record player and am listening to 33 LP that was never re-released on CD unlike many others. This is guy is extremely talented, and I'm very glad I was able to track this record down, for many consider it an essential that should have a CD release. Luckily I was able to find it on ebay and the wait to get a record player took a couple of weeks that just got me even more anxious. As part of the younger generation, this is quite interesting to me. I understand what my dad was talking about with all the "pops and whispers". But now that I have one I may try and get some other LPs. But this is just a waste of posting re-answering the question of who my favorite musician of all time is as of right now. (This is as far as recorded pianist go, if I opened all the genres of music and instruments, from all of history it'd be even more impossible)

I learnt an Art Tatum piece last year (Begin the Beguine) for an exam and I loved it! He really has a great style... if not a TAD repetitive once you start listening to a lot of his recordings... but surely that doesnt matter being as good as he is.

It's just a shame that recording technology at the time was so primitive, but at least we have SOMETHING to refer to, to see how he actually played, unlike most of the legends of piano music frown

Having said that, my all-time favourite musician would be Franz Liszt, for his romantic, exciting and compelling style and for the way he revolutionised not only technique and virtuosity but music itself.

But perhaps the title should be shared with the members of Dream Theater, my favourite band of all time - their keyboardist is juilliard trained and all the members are total virtuosos in their own right, and possess compositional skills that (i believe) are basically unmatched with any other band of today.

My favourite album of theirs (Scenes from a Memory) is - and i didnt notice this on first listen - actually one giant piece of music, with the same ideas recapitulated and developed throughout the whole album. The album also literally tells a huge complex story ... this link explains it pretty well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scenes_From_A_Memory#Story

hahah sorry, i shouldnt get started on these guys!

1.Bill Evans piano
2.June Christy singer
3.Combo George Shearing & Mel Torme

L
L
The list varies from day to day. Tonight, I'll go with Errol Garner and Victor Borge, each a great talent with an amazing story. I can appreciate almost any type of music. Lots of good choices, here.

193866 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Laurel Jean...Do you know that Errol Garner was self taught? I play Misty very often. My listeners love Misty.. Errol Garner truly has me in awe as he is listed with the jazz greats with no music education at all except from his own efforts. What a talent he was and he lives on through his music. Sandy B

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Well after my holiday I'm back to see further discussions. I have always been a great fan of the unique style of Erroll, as you will see from my other posts. I have his Biography.I have spoken to him and seen him 3 times in here in England.

Yes I know I chose Fats Waller in an earlier post as you will see.

The problem is we cannot really decide how to actually pick one favourite. A top three might be easier. Or a list of five say!

For raw untrained natural talent Erroll Garner gets my vote.

What super Forums this Piano World has and what really nice people we have who use it too.

Alan (swingal)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It is a four way tie between Frank Mills, Billy Joel, Frank Esler-Smith(of Air Supply) and Jackson Browne. Depends on my mood which one I like better.

- Mark

...The ultimate joy in music is the joy of playing the piano...
193866 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hello Mark, Good taste as I also enjoy all of your selections. Except Bruce who is he please? I am almost 70 and this one is new to me. Billy Joel has been on TV rather often, interviews the last year. I play his Piano Man and everyone loves Piano Man. Even the young people who do not know the song. Sandy B

193866 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Do any of you Billy Joel fans know why he is on TV interviews the last year rather often? I do not hear him promoting new music, etc. Just wondering. I am a big fan of his.Sandy B

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission