2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, 5 invisible), 1,212 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1139611 11/29/08 06:26 PM
B
basso Offline OP
OP Offline
B
My Son is preparing for his grade 5 Rockschool exam. He is really enjoying the pieces, but we are having difficulties preparing for some of the technical exercises.

He would like to do the improv. exercise, and has made a good attempt at the examples given in the book. However, we are frustrated at the lack of support material Rockschool provide (i.e none) and I am having to try and come up with chord sequences for him to improvise to, without being sure if they are entirely appropriate.

Also, the grade 5 book says that the improvisation can be specified in any of the 6 styles of the study pieces. This seems a VERY wide range of styles to be familiar with, given that the pieces throughout the grades have styles within styles - for example, Jazz can be locked hands or ragtime. It would be impossible for a 14 year old to have sufficient grasp of ALL the styles and their sub genres.

My question is, do the the examiners pick any style they seem fit to improvise in, or do they pick from a style in which the pupil has prepared a piece. A detailed description of the 6 different styles would be helpful as a start. Direct enquiries from Rockschool have not produced a response.....

Also - Does anyone have a source of exercises which we could use to prepare for the exam (chord progressions for improv., tunes and chord progressions for the ear test.

Is there a piano teacher in our area (East Sussex, UK) familiar with the Rockschool syllabus who would be prepared to give my son a couple of sessions to give him some guidance?

Any thoughts or assistance would be gratefully recieved

#1139612 11/30/08 09:52 PM
P
P
I have been in touch with Rockschool because the improv section of the course is what I want my students to excel at. However, I have found that this section of the course is far more difficult than the technical requirements and ear training portions.
The keyboard requirements are also out of wack with what I see in the guitar course. Those requirements seem to make some sense and fit with the technical requirements.. The guitarists and others also have the companion guide with more examples and contain the info you are looking for. There is no companion guide for the piano course yet.

The reply from the head of Rockschool, was that they are aware this part of the course is too difficult and will be updated when the new piano course comes out -maybe next year. I was told the examiner will give a more reasonable example at the exam.(I am dealing with Trinity examiners).
I have told my students to just play the arranged sight reading example until things clear up a bit. I would hate to see my students not do well on that portion of the exam due to lack of info. I will also forward this thread so maybe they will get in on the discussion.

For styles, I would go with LH patterns. Stride, boogie and Latin blues.and by Gr 4 locked hand. That is a whole lot of styles. I get my students to work on pop songs with those patterns in the LH. We work off lead sheets . Check the pieces in the book and that should give an idea for the LH patterns they are looking for. Also,I have a download at my website www.poppianopro which contains 10 LH patterns and styles I use. Improvising in locked hand with 90 seconds to put it together is going to be a bit of a tall order.

As a teacher, the scant info in the book is frustrating. I am determined to make this course work for my students because Rochschool has the same goals in mind as I have for my students. I am well versed in the styles and requirements in my performing career. I have spent a lot of time working on getting material that will supplement the course.

The repertoire from Gr 4 on is what makes the course such a hit with me. The composers have the styles nailed.

The technical requirements are practical. I like to get the students to run through each mode in the same key. That way they have to alter the major scale. This really reinforces the key they are in and they learn each tone of the scale 1234 etc. This is very important when building chords.

The rest of the course could use an upgrade IMO.
The Rockschool ear training requirements are practical but the melody playback examples are very long.

I just purchased Earmaster eartraining software and it has the exam material covered. Melody playback- (you can program major minor pentatonic or blues,chord progressions intervals etc.)

Earmaster is the first eartraining program I have found that has the blues scales covered. Also the chord recognition in the jazz section is something to behold.

i think Earmaster fits seamlessly and have suggested that they contact rockschool and try to preprogram rockschool requirements for each grade.
(What I need to figure out is how to limit the melodies to keys that the students have covered. It is not appropriate to have a Gr 1 student try and play back a melody in 4 flats.)

I have requested a forum at rockschool so teachers can discuss these issues, talk shop and maybe swap ideas for hot tunes. I think more teachers would use the Rockschool program supplementary materials were easier to access. So far no reply to that email ...

#1139613 12/01/08 08:38 AM
B
basso Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi Pete, thanks for the detailed reply. It confirms my suspicions about the improv. section.

My son can just about manage to play the lead sheet, and could attempt some stylistic improvisation - but I think it really is a big ask - especially with all the styles that could be asked for. Do the examiners base the improv. choice on what pieces the pupil has chosen to play, or can it be completely random?

I agree with you about the melody test being too long - my son can get the first part of the phrase OKish, but finds it difficult to remember the whole phrase!

Rockschool are very bad about responding to emails about technical aspects of the exam.

#1139614 12/01/08 06:36 PM
P
P
Basso: I have emailed Rockschool. I always get a prompt response from the head of the school. He emailed today and promised to forward this thread to his keyboard guru. I hope they get you a prompt response so the PR improves.

I have only used Rockschool for a year. I sent 15 students for exams last June.This year I am preparing 30+.
Only one student attempted the improv last year and he did well for his level, Gr3, He does a remarkable job of improvising.

The rest of the students I prepared for reading the written arrangement. This section of the course needs clarity before I try to prepare my students for the improv section. There are a lot of unknowns. It is too bad because the improv part of the course holds a lot of promise if they get it together.
I found the examiner very positive and marking for the ear and sight reading testing seemed rather lenient.
All students passed there exams, 3 with distinction. The examiner comments were positive and helpful.
The upcoming new syllabus will be upgraded and I have assurances that it will be more appropriate. A new keyboard course is also due for release soon.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission