Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
106 registered members (BarryR, akressevich, AssociateX, 90125, ando, A Guy, anotherscott, AlienObs, 20 invisible), 1,293 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ragtime difficulty levels #1139252
07/11/07 11:40 AM
07/11/07 11:40 AM
Cape Cod
H
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member
hv  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
H

Cape Cod
Hi, Walrus32. Welcome to PianoWorld. Don't know if you're acquainted with the Lake Superior Ragtime Society but they happen to be meeting tonight:

"The next get-together of ragtime fans and performers will be at the Dry Dock Restaurant and Bar, 2820 Midway Road, Duluth, Minnesota on Wednesday, July 11.

Music will start at 6:00 pm and continue until 9:00 pm. Food and beverages will be available by menu, so come early and stay a while!

Directions to Dry Dock: From Duluth, take Interstate-35 South, then Midway
Road Exit, North 1/4 mile."

If you can make it, tell them all that Sue and I said, "Hi!"

Howard

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Ragtime difficulty levels #1139253
07/12/07 01:50 AM
07/12/07 01:50 AM
England
S
swingal Offline
1000 Post Club Member
swingal  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S

England
I have just received a copy of an English production of a CD " The Traditional Jazz Ragtime Collection" from Amazon UK. It is a compilation of 20 numbers.:-

Harlem Rag; B&W Rag,(piano rendition). Down Home rag; M.L Rag; Cole Smoke Rag; Perfect Rag; Climax Rag; Merrydown Rag; Froggie Moore Rag; Eccentric Rag; Liberia Rag; That teasin'Rag; Gladiolus Rag; Pleasant Moments ; Kinklets; Panama Rag; Dusty Rag; Tiger Rag; Chrysanthemum Rag; Hiawather Rag;

Most, if not all, are British bands. But from the era of Trad Jazz, so very good performances. If less known bands in the U.S.

May I also suggest that those wishing to learn the Ragtime style, do get as much listening done as possible. For me that factor is everything and as with Blues and Boogie, once you remember the style, the ad lib improvisation comes to you by ear.

Some time ago, on this forum 'Ted Jones'from NZ, did a recording of his version of M.L.Rag and that I thought was a very worthwhile example to get the tune in your head. Just keep repeating the recording until you remember it.

The standard popular 'jazz-keys' are used as far as I noticed while 'playing along' with the 'Amazon' CD. Which is my useful way of learning a piece of music by ear.

As another idea, try and take a holiday in New Orleans, or even part of a cruise in the Carribbean as we did last December. They are longing for more tourists and 'trad jazz' is very high on their agenda. They are recovering well after the dreadful flooding of some of N.O. now, and anxious to get more tourists back. Some of the nicest people you could ever wish to meet.

Alan (swingal)

Re: Ragtime difficulty levels #1139254
07/15/07 01:53 AM
07/15/07 01:53 AM
England
S
swingal Offline
1000 Post Club Member
swingal  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S

England
PS, just found a couple of CDs you may like to listen to.

'American Classics'. SCOTT JOBLIN Piano Rags played by; Alexander Peskanov. www.naxos.com

and;-

'The Very Best of Scott Joplin' CD 6510 @2004v Delta Music.

This is the only info on them.

On the second one I have no info on the pianist. It just says all tracks 'public domain'

Good Luck, and do keep listening until it's in your subconscious Mind/brain.

I should like to read your comments if you have these CDs.

Alan

Re: Ragtime difficulty levels #1139255
07/16/07 09:06 AM
07/16/07 09:06 AM
SE
V
Vintagefingers Offline
Vintagefingers  Offline
V

SE
Hi Andy

I started on "The Entertainer" quite a while back. The octaves are the hardest part to play cleanly and definitely take the most practice. I do not find this rag particularly easy at all mostly for that reason.

Solace I have down quite well with the exception of the B section which is undoubtly the hardest. It is not as easy as it sounds but it is fairly accessable.

The easiest of the Joplin rags and also one of my favorites musically is "The Easy Winners". I started on this piece in February and have it down pretty pat and up to speed. The only section that really needs fine tuning now is the D section. I would highly recommend this one.

Re: Ragtime difficulty levels #1139256
07/16/07 01:20 PM
07/16/07 01:20 PM
England
Normsthename Offline OP
Normsthename  Offline OP

England
The easiest of the Joplin rags and also one of my favorites musically is "The Easy Winners". I started on this piece in February and have it down pretty pat and up to speed. The only section that really needs fine tuning now is the D section. I would highly recommend this one.
Thanks Vintage fingers smile
I will give 'Easy Winners' a try, I quite like that rag laugh

Andy

Re: Ragtime difficulty levels #1139257
07/27/07 07:09 AM
07/27/07 07:09 AM
Australia
Muzzzz Offline
Muzzzz  Offline

Australia
Hi all, and thankyou for your kind words, Swingal! And yes, that was 8 months from scratch, so the MR Rag is really not THAT difficult once you've worked on it, but I'm 15 now and i was in my early teens at the time, which is probably when people are able to learn the quickest.

Zez Confrey is another one to look out for, but a lot of his stuff can get a bit tricky, and of course, look out for James Scott and Joseph Lamb.

All the best!

Re: Ragtime difficulty levels #1139258
07/27/07 05:01 PM
07/27/07 05:01 PM
Upper Midwest
Aaron B Offline
Aaron B  Offline

Upper Midwest
Hello all, first post here. This is an interesting thread for me because I'm an adult beginner (started from scratch around 3 years ago) with an interest in ragtime.

Magnetic Rag is gorgeous, but it is too difficult for me to play (even the abridged version took a lot of time). I finally was able to "learn" Joplin's Palm Leaf Rag, which also is a lovely piece of music, and it has two other advantages over Maple Leaf and other better known rags: 1) not as many people are as familiar with it, so if you play it for others, it's not quite as evident if you mangle it badly, and 2) it only has 3 parts, rather than the 4 (or 5) usually seen in Joplin's rags.

Right now I think I only am playing the notes for Palm Leaf, perhaps one day I will be able to play it musically. But my teacher hasn't given up on me and I slowly make progress.

It's interesting to see another Duluth area forum member (walrus32). I went to the get together at the Dry Dock a few weeks ago mentioned by Howard, and it was a lot of fun. Maybe some day I'll be good enough (and have the nerve) to play in front of others in a venue like that.

Aaron

Re: Ragtime difficulty levels #1139259
07/27/07 05:22 PM
07/27/07 05:22 PM
Santa Fe, NM
J
jotur Offline
Gold Level
jotur  Offline
Gold Level
J

Santa Fe, NM
YES, another ragtime player. Welcome, Aaron.

I used to drive up to Duluth for the weekend every fall when the colors were changing. A little far now frown

Aaron, over in the Adult Beginners Forum there's a Joplin Entertainer study group, tho we are currently waiting on a couple of miscreants to post their playing laugh - check the Important Topics thread at the top of the forum for a link, and join us. There are others around, too - the July piano bar in the ABF has a wonderful rendition of Bethena, and there's been a couple of ragtime pieces in the recitals. Fraggle has posted Maple Leaf, Entertainer, and Tom Turpin's Ragtime Nightmare down in the Members Recording forum. So there are some kindred spirits here -

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Practice what you suck at - anonymous
Re: Ragtime difficulty levels #1139260
07/27/07 06:02 PM
07/27/07 06:02 PM
Upper Midwest
Aaron B Offline
Aaron B  Offline

Upper Midwest
Cathy, I appreciate the welcome, and I will check those items out. I currently am working on Bethena so I will listen to that version.

Every year we visit Santa Fe to visit family (one of whom is a forum member, Famous Pies) and we always enjoy it, it's a great break from the winter in Duluth.

Thanks!

Aaron

Re: Ragtime difficulty levels #1139261
07/27/07 06:56 PM
07/27/07 06:56 PM
Massachusetts
rustyfingers Offline
500 Post Club Member
rustyfingers  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Massachusetts
Hi Aaron and other ragtimers.

I worked up Bethena last year after close to 30 years away from the piano, but I missed the post in the piano bar. Must check it out.

My rag rep is limited to Joplin: Bethena, Solace, and MLR.

RF

If I had ever learnt, I should have been a great proficient.
[Linked Image]
Re: Ragtime difficulty levels #1139262
07/27/07 08:15 PM
07/27/07 08:15 PM
Massachusetts
B
bgranat Offline
bgranat  Offline
B

Massachusetts
"Weeping Willow" was my first Joplin rag when I came back to piano twenty years ago, so I think it's pretty easy. "Heliotrope Bouquet" is pretty easy, too.

I just love "Magnetic" and "Maple Leaf," though considerably harder, and I haven't quite mastered either of them. My small hands tend to choke on the four-note chords toward the end(about two measures on the last line of Magnetic.

Darn my small hands! There are just some things I can't play at all because I haven't got the reach.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com

Re: Ragtime difficulty levels #1139263
07/27/07 08:42 PM
07/27/07 08:42 PM
Santa Fe, NM
J
jotur Offline
Gold Level
jotur  Offline
Gold Level
J

Santa Fe, NM
Originally posted by Bonnie Granat:

Darn my small hands! There are just some things I can't play at all because I haven't got the reach.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com
Bonnie, Bonnie - cheat!

But I know what you mean. I have small hands, too, and my left hand is now comfortable reaching an octave, but my right hand still has a little way to go. For The Entertainer I did for the last ABF recital I played 6ths in the right hand if the 3rd was on the bottom of the octave span, and the octaves were "splashy" as one person put it smile But the sound is less satisfying to me than if I could put in all the notes that are there to be played. Now I'm working on Binks Waltz - besides being a lovely waltz it's good exercise for octaves in my right without the extra notes. But even there there's a couple of white notes in between the black ones that I can't get.

So I'm like you - there's just some things I can't play at all.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Practice what you suck at - anonymous
Re: Ragtime difficulty levels #1139264
08/15/07 09:51 PM
08/15/07 09:51 PM
Lincolnshire, England
L
LittleTyke Offline
LittleTyke  Offline
L

Lincolnshire, England
Originally posted by Kevin:
.... other Joplin rags. It could have been composed by Chopin, in my view!

Kevin
When I first heard Chopin's Etude Opus 25 #9, the "Butterfly", I thought, man, this sounds just like ragtime!

It was Maple Leaf Rag that got me into serious piano lessons at the age of about 30. Previously I had only played "by ear", improvising, knocking out tunes, mainly in the key of C. When I heard Maple Leaf Rag (in the 1970s ragtime enjoyed a period of rediscovery, when Rifkin, Bolcom and others were cutting LPs) I thought, I just have to play this! Quite rusty again now, though, which is why I'm starting afresh.

By the way, anyone know why that Etude got nicknamed The Butterfly?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Music on i_heart_radio
by Handyman. 01/16/19 04:54 PM
How do you upload mp3 files?
by Vilhelm Moqvist. 01/16/19 04:17 PM
DGX-660 And Recording Vocal Track
by ndmuscutt. 01/16/19 03:56 PM
Yamaha CFX and Liszt Sonata in B minor
by Rich Galassini. 01/16/19 02:18 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,610
Posts2,782,547
Members92,127
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission