2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 5 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
Watching jazz/blues players who glissando, it seems every player has their favorite way of sliding down the keyboard. Some use their thumb, index finger knuckle, two fingers, or whole hand.

I tend to use the inside of my second finger knuckle. Has anyone found their preference that works best for you?

I'm sure the wrong way could damage a piano right? thumb

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
D
D
Originally posted by Diane W:
Watching jazz/blues players who glissando, it seems every player has their favorite way of sliding down the keyboard. Some use their thumb, index finger knuckle, two fingers, or whole hand.

I tend to use the inside of my second finger knuckle. Has anyone found their preference that works best for you?

I'm sure the wrong way could damage a piano right? thumb
The least painful way is coincidentally the superior way from a technical standpoint. The palm or heel of the hand with the fingers outstretched! This makes for a very smooth gliss, even on black keys or a combined white key black key chromatic gliss, the keys struck right at the juncture of where the black keys start to angle where they meet the white keys. Once you adjust the proper plane of your hand (the angle or pitch), this leaves your FINGERS free to react quickly after the gliss without hesitation or even DURING the gliss if you practice this and get good at it! Ahhhh! Sound interesting?

No more finger pain or damaged cuticles either!

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I usually play fast glissandi with the side of the index knuckle curled slightly. It may be painful for some but I don't find it so. I don't do many of them anyway. It hurts if you use the ridge of your thumb. I sometimes use the flats of my fingers and quickly move my elbow upwards or downwards.

It don't mean a ting if it don't have dat swing
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It is interesting that people are wowed by glissandos, yet they are the one thing that someone who does not know how to play the piano can do well.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
whether you use the bottom or top of the hands tends to depend on how much you sweat. I generally like my index fingernail going up (RH) and thumbnail (RH) going down. I'd need boxing gloves to use my knuckles for any length of time ... and my palm would only work for an electric keyboard

_ _ _ _________________________ _ _ _
Casio GP-500 | Ritter Roya 4 | Fender Jazz | Fender Precision
D
D
Originally posted by westland:
whether you use the bottom or top of the hands tends to depend on how much you sweat. I generally like my index fingernail going up (RH) and thumbnail (RH) going down. I'd need boxing gloves to use my knuckles for any length of time ... and my palm would only work for an electric keyboard
The palm works beautifully on either the piano action or electronic action. I'm referring specifically to the muscular part of the palm, not the central soft area. The heel of the palm, which is actually made up of the large base of the thumb (before the actual finger) and the adjacent area geographically below the pinky and 4th finger. With the plane or pitch of the hand adjusted properly, and the fingers outstretched and ready to inter-react, it glides effortlessly and you can produce some incredible effect without ever an ounce of discomfort in either direction.

D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
You guys are the best!

Thanks for all your ideas. I'm still trying them out one by one.

In the beginning, the two fingers glissando was the only one I was using, but after having to bandage the fingers, I resorted to using a piece of cardboard. That's how I discovered how easy it is to damage a piano. Scratches galor on the white keys!

So I will be exploring all your great ideas.

Thanks again! Sincerely. Diane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6swDmjhqF4

Here's some pros using glissandos.

Diane
[Linked Image]
K
K
Ive been using my index/middle fingers for decades - just tried the palm - yeah, that works! You mention damage caused by gliss'. In my experience there is a risk with electronic keyboards - on some of them the key bearings dont seem well designed to cope with the sideways stress of gliss'. Clean technique can minimise this, but I have certainly had to fix keys for cracks that looked like a product of enthusiastic R&R glissandi.. glissandos.. slides. By the way I think it wss Jerry Lee Lewis who said the trick isn't the sliding down the keys - its starting and stopping in the right places:-)

Steinway K - Kurzweil PC 88(wrecked and sold for spares) - Yamaha S90 - rhodes 760 - korg wavestation- Hammond XK1 etc..
P
P
I always use the thumb *nail* - it makes it a lot less painful.
I used to use my index finger, but found I had to cope with regular cuts/burns around the knuckle, which makes it hard to write!
It may not be the most professional way, but it works, and its basically painfree!

D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
pangea,

Looks like you are in good company! If you watch Jerry Lee Lewis in the about mentioned Youtube video, that's exactly how he plays. With his thumb nail.

I'm still trying out all the suggested methods.

Diane
Blues/Jazz/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher

Diane
[Linked Image]
K
K
I sometimes use a thumbnail but it only works well in one direction (RH down or LH up) if you want to do flash two way slides you need to use your fingers as well or instead. If I have time over the weekend I might see I can can put a demo of the various techniques I can cope with on youtube. There are a couple on here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsAJLc-LR2c

Steinway K - Kurzweil PC 88(wrecked and sold for spares) - Yamaha S90 - rhodes 760 - korg wavestation- Hammond XK1 etc..
K
K
It is interesting that people are wowed by glissandos, yet they are the one thing that someone who does not know how to play the piano can do well.
I think it partly depends on where and how they're done - at just the right moment at a climax they can be very effective. I don't think anyone would be wowed at a solo that consisted of nothing but glissandos!

K
K
Indeed - I think glissando fatigue can arise very quickly in any audience - in addition, no-one believes anything is difficult if you can do it several times in a row. More is less!!

E
E
I use my middle finger fingernail while bracing that finger from behind with my thumb. I don't usually glissando with my left hand, but would do the same. The other direction would require the thumb fingernail. The nails slide better than the flesh of a finger... at least I think so.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Monty Alexander uses his thumbnail at 1:00 in this clip. I thinks it's foolish using anything besides the fingernails for glissandos. The lips on the edges of piano keys will cut the flesh. Hammond organ players uses the fleshy parts of their hands because the keys are lighter and have a waterfall design without edges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7RKWE5Xb88

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
K
K
Nice clip - wish it were longer:-)

K
K
Heres some fireworks from Oscar Peterson finishing with some glissandi - using thumbnail..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kNvWQgkDcs
votes rising for the humble thumble:-)

D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
Have been experimenting with all the glissando methods suggested and am really so loving using the thumbnail! Effortless really! Have to turn my hand sideways and tighten up a bit. The tip of the thumbnail glides down the keyboard really well, and it doesn't hurt!

Watching Jerry Lee Lewis' glissando using both hands, up and down the keyboard, helped quite a bit too! (So thankful for Youtube!)

PS: By the way, does anyone know why Jerry Lee Lewis was wearing a brace on his left hand in the Youtube video? Was it broken or something?

Thanks again for all your suggestions! All I know for sure is, no more bandages!

Diane,
Blues/Jazz/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher

Diane
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Jerry probably has tendonitis. Playing in a brace can make it worse though.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Joe Sample recording at Abbey Roads Studios (Beatles room) plays a fast glissando at 3:06, he could only do that with his thumb nail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZguZw7Wagg

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission