2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, 10 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Here is another thread that was posted recently on Billy Joel in the Piano Forum Board... this thread has some great Billy Joel Videos in it including River of dreams, The Piano Man, Goodnight Saigon, and more.

Earlier thread on Billy Joel:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/1/16260.html

I have my own weapon of mass destruction in the form of a "teenage" German Shepherd. Anything she spies and can get ahold of is fair game.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Neil sedaka; yes he wrote some fun pop songs but he seems less popular amongst the younger crowd.
BJ and EJ attract fans young and old. Calender Girl was one of his hits.

Originally posted by Music Lover:
Originally posted by euclid10540:
I can't believe everyone is overlooking the greatest pop piano player ever - Neil Sedaka!
That's a pretty subjective statement on your part, Euclid. Please explain exactly what makes him allegedly the "greatest pop piano player ever". smile

I have my own weapon of mass destruction in the form of a "teenage" German Shepherd. Anything she spies and can get ahold of is fair game.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I like both Taupins and Joels lyrics myself.

Originally posted by wolfindmist:
To me, that would be subjective.
Which is precisely why I included the abbreviation "IMO" in my statement that you're referring to. As I'm sure you already know, that means "In My Opinion". And I was referring to Elton's melodies and vocals, not the lyrics in his songs. smile

And as a lyricist, I'll take Bernie Taupin over Billy Joel in a heartbeat. But to each his own! I'm not criticizing your opinions in any way. wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Billy Joel doing New York State Of Mind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeSWaHdlVow

BTW this tune has been covered by Bennett and Streisand.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Scenes from Italian Restaurant by Billy Joel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGqgZgdkzoc

Now on this song... his (B. Joel's) style reminds me of some of the things Elton does in his playing. the same kind of feel to it.

E
E
Okay, so Neil Sedaka is one of the greats, or at least should be mentioned with the greatest. I mention him strictly on his piano playing abilities, not as an entertainer, or rock and roll pioneer.

I feel certain if you asked Billy Joel or Elton John, they would defer to Neil for his classical background. EJ even did a song with Neil, Bad Blood. Neil has written, many hit pop songs, including two versions of the very popular Breaking Up is Hard To Do.

Also taken from his website:
Sedaka has embarked on a marriage of an entirely different sort by returning to the classical roots of his early years. With original romantic lyrics written by Sedaka, and set to the music of Beethoven, Chopin, Rachmaninoff, and Tchaikovsky, he has released a collection of these songs on Classically Sedaka. He has already performed a selection of these songs with many symphonies across the United States and the United Kingdom, including the Richmond Symphony, the Jacksonville Symphony, the National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center, and the New York Pops at Carnegie Hall. Both the critical and audience response have been phenomenal. Classically Sedaka has gone on to earn a gold record in Europe.
So, strictly from a piano playing point of view, I personally feel Neil Sedaka is one of the grestest pop piano players ever, with a career spanning six decades.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Good Night Saigon by Billy Joel link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvIE32rdvKU

this is the pretty much the way he did it at the concert I saw... with the chopper sounds, film clips in the background,
and the singers dressed like a band of brothers. At the concert I was at they had some local vietnam vets join the circle of the band of brothers. It was very moving.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You know all of these artists would say they aren't no.1 Rock Pianist... all would feel almost embarrassed if someone gave them an award for being no.1 anything.

They all respect each other's body of work.
They are all professionals in the business of making music. And the cool thing is they put the piano up front and center as the instrument of choice.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Allentown performed live in Long Island Concert
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOkxnk1hxRo&mode=related&search=

Below is a picture of Ray Charles and Billy joel recording "Baby Grand"

[Linked Image]

But... 50's rock and roll came forth from the R&B origins. Blues from the Missipi Delta came first...then Jazz which spread when black came up north for jobs ... origins are R&B from black spirituals, blues and Jazz (R.C. 's I Got A Woman melody).... then Rock and Roll. Ray has had an influence on almost every kind of modern popular music.... witness RC's spirtual and country music contribution's.

I guess I'd have to say that I would tend to give the advantage towards the musician who has influenced all of the various popular music genres out there the most. But I would also say all these musicians we are discussing here in this thread have at least made significant contributions in their specific genre(s).

All have earned their due respect and are great at what they do in music.
This thread is about who is the best pianist, not the most influential musician. smile

As a youth in the 1930's and 1940's, two of Ray's greatest and earliest musical influences were Country-Western and Classical music. He played both and was given access to musical instruments while a student at the Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind in the 1940's.

While still a teenager in the 40's, after leaving the FSDB, Ray played in several bands, including Country bands.

Rock is a mixture of both black and white forms of music. R&B played an important part, but R&B per se is NOT Rock 'n' Roll or Rockabilly. Rock and Rockabilly have a completely different rythym structure than the classic R&B of the 1940's and 50's.

Rockabilly especially was strongly influenced by Country music, as was the Rock 'n' Roll of acts like the Everly Brothers.

And R&B didn't just spring forth from a void. There were earlier forms of music, both black and white, that were influential in the birth of R&B.

If we start talking about who or what influenced whom, this thread could get pretty complicated--which is why I prefer to stick to simply discussing the individual piano-playing and songwriting abilities of specific artists, rather than who was supposedly the most influential. smile

As to who is the most influential, is best discussed in a separate thread of its own. wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ok sticking to who is best pianist alone...
toss up perhaps between Elton and Billy.

Both have great chops!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Behold...
recent thread on Billy Preston ....
videos, articles, interviews in it.
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/37/686.html

Originally posted by Mike A:
The late Billy Preston is probably a good name to include on a list of rock/pop keyboard greats.

"Preston's career highlights include stints with The Stones, The Family Stone, Sam Cooke, Ray Charles, Mahalia Jackson, Aretha and of course the last three albums with The Beatles as well as the last ever of their performances on the roof, The Concert for Bangladesh, The Concert for George, tours with Clapton, George, Ringo and a stellar solo career singing and/or playing on monster hits "Out A Space," "Nothing From Nothing" and "Will It Go Round In Circles.""

"More recently, Billy can be heard on the latest albums by Neil Diamond and Red Hot Chili Peppers. He's also featured on the Starbucks soul album "Believe to My Soul" featuring Mavis Staples and Ann Peebles."

You know all of these artists would say they aren't no.1 Rock Pianist... all would feel almost embarrassed if someone gave them an award for being no.1 anything.

They are all professionals in the business of making music. And the cool thing is they put the piano up front and center as the instrument of choice.
Well said, Wolfie! wink

And I would like to stress that I do NOT consider Jerry Lee Lewis to be the "best" pop/rock pianist ever. If you've read this thread carefully, you'll know that I haven't proclaimed any one artist to be the "best". As to who is "best", is simply too subjective.

Every pianist we've discussed has their strengths and weaknesses. JLL could play with incredible energy, excitement and showmanship--but could never match up with Elton and Billy in the songwriting department.

As to who is TECHNICALLY a better pianist, will have to be decided by people who know far more about the instrument than I do.

I'd just like to say this is a GREAT thread, and thanks to all who have participated in it, whether I agree with them on certain points or not! smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yep... R&B did not come forth from a void.
Like I said earlier. JLLs playing is chock full of blues. He was a great pianist, though the last time I saw him on letterman he lost a few steps due to age.

Origins for R&B from black spirituals (and earlier style the white hymns) , blues and Jazz (R.C. 's I Got A Woman melody).... then Rock and Roll. Ray has had an influence on almost every kind of modern popular music.... witness RC's spirtual and country music contribution's.
Ray is an American Musical Genius and so many professional musicians credit him with inspiring them.

I truly would be hard pressed to pick either Billy Joel or Elton John as the best of the two; they each have their strengths and probably its best not to to pick one over the other as far as their playing goes. But if I were forced to pick the better pianist of the two I might pick Elton simply because he is like an energizer bunny and is still very active in touring all these years.

I do wish Billy Joel hadn't decided to stop writing pop songs. Meanwhile Elton continues to pump out great new songs that sing.

Interesting discussion. Elton vs. Billy Joel... close match???? I have seen Billy in concert.
I want to see Elton Jphn but his ticket prices were sky high when he recently played in my area.
But I have all Elton's concert DVDs to keep me happy.

But... 50's rock and roll came forth from the R&B origins. Blues from the Missipi Delta came first...then Jazz which spread when black came up north for jobs ... origins for R&B from black spirituals, blues and Jazz (R.C. 's I Got A Woman melody).... then Rock and Roll. Ray has had an influence on almost every kind of modern popular music.... witness RC's spirtual and country music contribution's.

I guess I'd have to say that I would tend to give the advantage towards the musician who has influenced all of the various popular music genres out there the most. But I would also say all these musicians we are discussing here in this thread have at least made significant contributions in their specific genre(s).

All have earned their due respect and are great at what they do in music.
This thread is about who is the best pianist, not the most influential musician. smile

As a youth in the 1930's and 1940's, two of Ray's greatest and earliest musical influences were Country-Western and Classical music. He played both and was given access to musical instruments while a student at the Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind in the 1940's.

While still a teenager in the 40's, after leaving the FSDB, Ray played in several bands, including Country bands.

Rock is a mixture of both black and white forms of music. R&B played an important part, but R&B per se is NOT Rock 'n' Roll or Rockabilly. Rock and Rockabilly have a completely different rythym structure than the classic R&B of the 1940's and 50's.

Rockabilly especially was strongly influenced by Country music, as was the Rock 'n' Roll of acts like the Everly Brothers.

And R&B didn't just spring forth from a void. There were earlier forms of music, both black and white, that were influential in the birth of R&B.

If we start talking about who or what influenced whom, this thread could get pretty complicated--which is why I prefer to stick to simply discussing the individual piano-playing and songwriting abilities of specific artists, rather than who was supposedly the most influential. smile

As to who is the most influential, is best discussed in a separate thread of its own. wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes a great thread indeed. I even managed to put all the other recent threads on these great pop/rock pianists into this thread so folks can find the links we all found at youtube. LOL

I gotta itch to do some Haiku again.
After I find the thread on Stevie. LOL.

Well said, Wolfie! wink

And I would like to stress that I do NOT consider Jerry Lee Lewis to be the "best" pop/rock pianist ever. If you've read this thread carefully, you'll know that I haven't proclaimed any one artist to be the "best". As to who is "best", is simply too subjective.

Every pianist we've discussed has their strengths and weaknesses. JLL could play with incredible energy, excitement and showmanship--but could never match up with Elton and Billy in the songwriting department.

As to who is TECHNICALLY a better pianist, will have to be decided by people who know far more about the instrument than I do.

I'd just like to say this is a GREAT thread, and thanks to all who have participated in it, whether I agree with them on certain points or not! smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Recent thread on Stevie Wonder... videos, pictures, interviews , discussion etc.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/37/704.html

Originally posted by euclid10540:
Okay, so Neil Sedaka is one of the greats, or at least should be mentioned with the greatest....I personally feel Neil Sedaka is one of the grestest pop piano players ever
I can't argue with that! Well said! wink

Astra Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow, how many responses. smile
So, I would suggest something: Lets first choose pianists and then categories in which we would rate them.
Then each of us would tell in his opinion three best in each category and finally we would count the points and get the winner. I guess its obvius that I like statistics laugh
In case of pianists we should make a list of candidates and we should agree whether Ray Charles and similar belong to pop/rock pianists or not.
In case of categories I suggest two categories: tecnique and songwriting. But, if you have your opinion go ahead and tell.
And then we could tell the winner to add a title ˝Best poprock pianist, chosen by members of Non Classical Piano World Forum >˝ in his collections of awards smile

ex - pian00b

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I normally don't chime in on these "who's the best" threads, but I couldn't let a Neil Sedaka nomination go unchallenged. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised that nobody's nominated any women pop/rock pianists... imho Tori Amos and Vienna Teng belong right up there as pop artists with serious piano chops. And their music is more piano-centered, too, in a way that Neil Sedaka's never was.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission