2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
70 members (chopinetto, anotherscott, 1957, bobrunyan, Burkey, 36251, Catlady, ChrisGoesPiano, A. Lucato, 13 invisible), 509 guests, and 451 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Is Chopin the Greatest?
#1135056 04/12/06 08:03 PM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 197
S
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
S
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 197
Of course, I Agree, and I know Tchaikovsky wrote 3, but I dont even know the other 2, I meant he only needed to write that one, and that would have been enough.


For Beethoven it was Bach - For me, its Rach...the Idol
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Is Chopin the Greatest?
#1135057 04/14/06 10:33 AM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,264
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,264
In an attempt to avoid the inevitable emotional content from a top 3 composer selection ... a similar January poll in Pianist Corner was prefaced by:

"Escaping in a Star Wars pod prior to mother-ship Earth being nuked by Darth Vader ... who's keyboard music ( 3 composers) would you take along to pollinate a Homo Sapiens restart amongst the stars? My choice would be Beethoven, Chopin and Gershwin.
But imagine leaving behind the music of Bach, Mozart, Mendelssohn, Tschaikowsky, Debussy and Rachmaninoff ... to mention a few. However ... what would be your threesome?
PS the pod comes complete with Fazioli grand. Any takers?"

The poll resulted in an almost dead-heat ... but with Bach marginally shading Beethoven and Chopin.

Re: Is Chopin the Greatest?
#1135058 04/14/06 12:38 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,483
8000 Post Club Member
Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,483
to me, Chopin is placed after Mozart at least, and Bach and Beethoven are always on the top of everyone else.

Re: Is Chopin the Greatest?
#1135059 04/16/06 09:09 AM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,712
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,712
Too tough! While I love Chopin, Beethoven and of course Bach and Mozart. I would be grief-stricken to leave behind Tchaikovsky, Rach, Gershwin, Schumann, Schubert and so many others. I'd think I would just stay behind and listen to all I could before being nuked!


Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
Re: Is Chopin the Greatest?
#1135060 04/16/06 10:37 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,921
5000 Post Club Member
Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,921
Quote
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
Too tough! While I love Chopin, Beethoven and of course Bach and Mozart. I would be grief-stricken to leave behind Tchaikovsky, Rach, Gershwin, Schumann, Schubert and so many others. I'd think I would just stay behind and listen to all I could before being nuked!
Best answer of all.


Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Re: Is Chopin the Greatest?
#1135061 04/16/06 02:04 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 950
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 950
He is the greatest, together with Bruce-Lee smile .


Kawai ES-110

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is never enough for music."
-Sergei Rachmaninoff.
Re: Is Chopin the Greatest?
#1135062 04/17/06 07:05 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 408
B
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
B
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 408

Re: Is Chopin the Greatest?
#1135063 04/23/06 04:59 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,303
J
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,303
Chopin and Rachmaninov are my two favorites. I am learning Chopin's ubiquitous "Nocturne in E flat" and I've always appreciated and loved much of his music, but I think it's possible to get a better feel for the music, a closer feel for it, when you are playing it yourself, don't you think?

There is a point 3/4 of the way through the music, when the notes reach very high...

I played it through once, twice, then had to get up and walk away from the piano. I was thinking what a GENIUS Chopin was. The music in that section is the culmination of everything that came before it, it is so eloquent and beautiful and PERFECT...

As another member here said, the personal connection shone through. Here was a man who lived so many many years ago and yet today he speaks to us through his music.

Jeanne W


Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8776.html#000000
Re: Is Chopin the Greatest?
#1135064 04/23/06 05:04 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,868
9000 Post Club Member
Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,868
Quote
Originally posted by Ballyhoo:
My favourite discussion of Chopin:

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/2/5476.html#000000
You forgot about this one:

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/2/3489.html

Quote
ninjanitor excuse me but you are so wrong.
In my opinion, List, ShuMang and Buramsu are way WAY above Chopan. I agree that Chopan composed masterpieces such as, works such as those that he wrote as a composer, many of which can be named that are famous and are masterpieces, but Shumang composed even better masterpieces in that they are more masterful (probably 20 to 22.5 times more masterful) than the best that Chopan ever scribbled in his lousy notebooks.
Shumang's pieces are more masterful in a more masterly way than Chopan.
List is more masterful than Chopan but less maybe than Shumang, and that in a not so overtly masterful manner, but more in a kind of mastery way of mastering the instrument.
Buramsu is masterful, but his mastery distinguishes itself from the other masters by the fact that it is less overmastered, but more masterly controlled and to the proper level of mastery.
You would probably need three hands at least to count how many masterful masterworks Buramsu composed.

END OF PROOF
...

Quote
Oh YEAH?!? Well, let me just tell you about *my* super-duperest composition, Symphonic Metamorphosis on "I Fought the Law and the Law Won" for sixteen vibraphones, antelope, and speedos, in the key of HOLY F*#! minor. I originally wrote it for the Benedictine Monks of Santo Domingo de Silos, but they were busy with Hildegard von Bingen at the time. Liszt *wishes* he were me.


Sam
Re: Is Chopin the Greatest?
#1135065 04/23/06 05:34 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,310
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,310
Quote
Originally posted by Johnny-Boy:
Saying Chopin was the greatest is like saying chocolate ice cream is better than all the other flavors of ice cream. I think I’d get sick of eating chocolate all the time.

Best, John smokin
I'm trying to figure out how the conversation continued beyond this? I was thinking, "BRILLIANT! Case closed!

I feel that Chopin is great but not my favorite. I think he once was, but nowadays his music tends to be lacking something that I can't clearly define. But Brahms never EVER fails me. For me it is Brahms first and all others far behind him. This is of course opinion and personal taste even though I'd love to try and make it seem like fact. Recently there have been some threads about so-and-so is a genius/greatest composer ever. I've been wanting to created the same thread for Brahms but I have no content to provide. I can't provide any adequate words to explain how he surpasses the rest.

Re: Is Chopin the Greatest?
#1135066 04/24/06 07:55 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 83
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 83
Quote
Originally posted by PootieTooGood:
Quote
Originally posted by Johnny-Boy:
[b] Saying Chopin was the greatest is like saying chocolate ice cream is better than all the other flavors of ice cream. I think I’d get sick of eating chocolate all the time.

Best, John smokin
I'm trying to figure out how the conversation continued beyond this? I was thinking, "BRILLIANT! Case closed!

I feel that Chopin is great but not my favorite. I think he once was, but nowadays his music tends to be lacking something that I can't clearly define. But Brahms never EVER fails me. For me it is Brahms first and all others far behind him. This is of course opinion and personal taste even though I'd love to try and make it seem like fact. Recently there have been some threads about so-and-so is a genius/greatest composer ever. I've been wanting to created the same thread for Brahms but I have no content to provide. I can't provide any adequate words to explain how he surpasses the rest. [/b]
Counterpoint

Re: Is Chopin the Greatest?
#1135067 04/30/06 02:58 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 408
B
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
B
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 408
You're absolutely right. What a fantastic discussion!

Quote
Originally posted by pianojerome:
Quote
Originally posted by Ballyhoo:
[b] My favourite discussion of Chopin:

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/2/5476.html#000000
You forgot about this one:

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/2/3489.html

Quote
ninjanitor excuse me but you are so wrong.
In my opinion, List, ShuMang and Buramsu are way WAY above Chopan. I agree that Chopan composed masterpieces such as, works such as those that he wrote as a composer, many of which can be named that are famous and are masterpieces, but Shumang composed even better masterpieces in that they are more masterful (probably 20 to 22.5 times more masterful) than the best that Chopan ever scribbled in his lousy notebooks.
Shumang's pieces are more masterful in a more masterly way than Chopan.
List is more masterful than Chopan but less maybe than Shumang, and that in a not so overtly masterful manner, but more in a kind of mastery way of mastering the instrument.
Buramsu is masterful, but his mastery distinguishes itself from the other masters by the fact that it is less overmastered, but more masterly controlled and to the proper level of mastery.
You would probably need three hands at least to count how many masterful masterworks Buramsu composed.

END OF PROOF
...

Quote
Oh YEAH?!? Well, let me just tell you about *my* super-duperest composition, Symphonic Metamorphosis on "I Fought the Law and the Law Won" for sixteen vibraphones, antelope, and speedos, in the key of HOLY F*#! minor. I originally wrote it for the Benedictine Monks of Santo Domingo de Silos, but they were busy with Hildegard von Bingen at the time. Liszt *wishes* he were me.
[/b]

Re: Is Chopin the Greatest?
#1135068 05/03/06 04:46 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 6
Junior Member
Offline
Junior Member
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 6
I think Chopin is ONE of the best, his Pistache (Or however it is spelt) is pretty amazing, and his black note etude.

Re: Is Chopin the Greatest?
#1135069 05/09/06 08:49 PM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 151
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 151
Chopin is my favorite classical composer. His nocturnes are so beautiful. The nocturnes are so romantic. I have worked on his Nocturne in E flat, my goal is to finish it one day. His preludes are beautiful also. I always feel peaceful when I listen to his music.


Make music not war
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ivory ACD install without discs
by mwf - 11/28/20 06:52 AM
Mixing VST audio with external hardware audio
by Andrew_G - 11/28/20 02:42 AM
File, sand and/or needle inside my Baldwin?
by DanD - 11/28/20 01:18 AM
Hybrid piano too loud for my neighbor :(
by kiwibd - 11/27/20 07:19 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,090
Posts3,028,034
Members99,397
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers


Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4