2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Ian80 Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Hey guys,

My piano playing as been just a little more than dormant over the last few years. However, I've had a recent surge in interest lately. I went back to my piano-book shelf and pulled out my copy of The New Real book. I was fascinated by how engrossed I was by it; I played for hours (something that never happened often).

My one problem is that there is a lot of 'later' jazz stuff in there. I'm not into the bebop (I love to listen, but technically I'm not there). I like the ol' standards and ballads.

How does the Real Book Vol 1 compare? I'd be interested in getting it, but only if I was getting a new selection of songs. Also, what is the selection of songs like -- lot of 'jazzier' stuff, or mostly standards?

Basically, is it worth having both books, or are there a lot of repeats?

Originally posted by Ian80:
Hey guys,

My piano playing as been just a little more than dormant over the last few years. However, I've had a recent surge in interest lately. I went back to my piano-book shelf and pulled out my copy of The New Real book. I was fascinated by how engrossed I was by it; I played for hours (something that never happened often).

My one problem is that there is a lot of 'later' jazz stuff in there. I'm not into the bebop (I love to listen, but technically I'm not there). I like the ol' standards and ballads.

How does the Real Book Vol 1 compare? I'd be interested in getting it, but only if I was getting a new selection of songs. Also, what is the selection of songs like -- lot of 'jazzier' stuff, or mostly standards?

Basically, is it worth having both books, or are there a lot of repeats?
Warner Bros has a fake book called the Just Jazz book, that has more of what you're looking for (I think).

You might also look into a Standards Real Book (by Sher and others), if that's what you're into.

There are also sites on the web that have song indexes of all the fake books (most of them, anyway), and some of the sales sites list the songs contained therein.

Try the index at Seventh String to start: http://www.seventhstring.co.uk/fbindex.html

-- ipgrunt
Amateur pianist, Son of a Pro
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yeah, check out the Standards Real Book. The Real Book, vol. 6 is mostly 50's-70's stuff. (Plus some standards, of course, but the focus of the book is similar to NRB 1.)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
I
Ian80 Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Thanks a lot guys! The Standards Real Book looks just right for me...

Now I need to find a reasonably priced one available here in Canada...

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission