2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, 9 invisible), 1,264 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
P
Perhaps this is a bit late in the discussion but FWIW I think of the "original" Dave Brubeck Quartet (DBQ -with Morello, Desmond & Wright) as one of the best jazz quartets of all time. DBQ made huge contributions to jazz - I might even go as far as to say put the piano, bass, drums & sax jazz quartet on the map - certainly introduced jazz to "mainstream" American music. However, Dave Brubeck, as a pianist - apart from his quartet - "solo" if you will, never was or ever will be in a league like Art Tatum, Oscar, Bill Evans, or a Herbie Hancock. This is not intended to take anything away from DB - but pianistically speaking, with his physical limitations, DB was largely an accompanist in the DBQ - not what I would consider to be a strong, exciting or innovative soloist - Desmond held that title and shared it, at times, with Morello. Bottom line - I'll listen to DBQ every chance I get.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Dave Brubeck is a musical experience, not necessarily a pianistic experience, just like Duke Ellington. There are a lot of great pianists out there, but it is the great musicians I enjoy most.

Semipro Tech
Originally posted by markb:
And the fellow who claimed to be a big jazz fan but hadn't heard of Bill Evans or Monk? Thats a kind of tautology, don't you think?
Actually, I don't believe so. I think something such as, "Bill Evans is either the best jazz pianist in the world, or he isn't," or, "Monk is a wonderful jazz piano-playing pianist" might be a tautology.

In any case, I'm sure I've heard their music, but I don't remember names or song titles. I just like listening to jazz. I may have overstated my affinity for the genre.
No harm meant, really, and I appreciate your candor (and semantics lesson as I was never sure of the difference between a tautology and an oxymoron. Besides, start tossing an oxymoron around and people do get insulted!)

Excuse me while I hijack this thread:

My favorite Bill Evans recording: Moonbeams. A favorite Monk album--too difficult to define as there's been so many re-releases of late.

If you're a fan of Tony Bennett, check out the Bill Evans / Tony Bennett album (that's the title).

best wishes,

ip

-- ipgrunt
Amateur pianist, Son of a Pro
Originally posted by BDB:
Dave Brubeck is a musical experience, not necessarily a pianistic experience, just like Duke Ellington. There are a lot of great pianists out there, but it is the great musicians I enjoy most.
I think Bill Evans, Monk etc are great musicians as well. Certainly the Bill Evans trio is a musical experience...

Duke was quite a pianist...Listen to Money Jungle with Mingus and Max Roach...

A
AD Offline
A

-----------
Oh, life is a glorious cycle of song,
A medley of extemporanea;
And love is a thing that can never go wrong,
And I am Marie of Romania.
J
J
Originally posted by AD:
Who else smokes with his left while tinkling with his right.
It's been awhile since I've seen a piano in a club or bar with - what used to be - ubiquitous brown and black marks on the bass keys. But there was a time in the not too distant past when a piano player with a butt, either in their mouths or burning the keytops, would have been a very normal sight.

And thanks for posting the Basie clip. What a great rhythm section that was. A fine example of of how sometimes less can be more.

Love that #11!
Originally posted by JazzManToo:
Originally posted by AD:
[b] Who else smokes with his left while tinkling with his right.
It's been awhile since I've seen a piano in a club or bar with - what used to be - ubiquitous brown and black marks on the bass keys. But there was a time in the not too distant past when a piano player with a butt, either in their mouths or burning the keytops, would have been a very normal sight.

And thanks for posting the Basie clip. What a great rhythm section that was. A fine example of of how sometimes less can be more. [/b]
And burn marks on the music desk, too.

I don't miss smoking at all! That nasty habit had me by the throat for almost 20 years. Now, it's been over 20 years since I smoked, and that seems like a different lifetime (still play some of the same tunes, though!).

-- ipgrunt
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
ipgrunt wrote:
No harm meant, really, and I appreciate your candor (and semantics lesson as I was never sure of the difference between a tautology and an oxymoron. Besides, start tossing an oxymoron around and people do get insulted!)
Actually, I need to thank you. I had no idea what a tautology was until I looked it up subsequent to reading your post. Now that I know what it means, I try to use it in conversation at least once every day.

markb--The Count of Casio
You're very welcome.

We have both learned something--that's a good day.

-- ipgrunt
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Piano Blues by Clint Eastwood is a great DVD and Dave Brubeck played a tune called Travellin’ Blues, it was recorded in 2002 at a session organized by Eastwood and Bruce Ricker. It was recorded before but this time there is a lot of feeling and soul and it is one of the best tunes on the whole disk and there are some great players and Dave holds his own in his eighties. Dave has at least four jazz standards that every jazz musician knows about or plays
TAKE FIVE
IN YOUR OWN SWEET WAY
BLUE RONDO ALA TURK
IT'S A RAGGY WALTZ
Dave concerts are usually sold out and they always seem to add extra shows to accommodate the crowds.

Brubeck Institute > Brubeck Fellowship Program
The Brubeck Fellowship Program

The Brubeck Fellowship Program is a one- or two-year full-scholarship program in jazz performance for five musicians who are 18 to 19 years of age. These individuals, known as the Brubeck Fellows, comprise the Brubeck Institute Jazz Quintet. The Fellows study with Institute faculty, visiting jazz educators, artists, clinicians, and masters, and Bay Area professional musicians. They may also perform with ensembles in the Conservatory of Music and may take selected classes in the Conservatory and University for university credit. Upon completion of the program, they receive the Brubeck Institute Certificate of Jazz Performance and go on to collegiate programs in jazz studies or pursue careers in performance. They are also expected to serve as ambassadors for jazz, and promote the values epitomized by the life and music of Dave Brubeck.

The Brubeck Fellows
To learn more about the current and past fellows, click on each of the following.

• The 2006-2007 Brubeck Fellows

• The 2005-2006 Brubeck Fellows – The Brubeck Institute Jazz Quintet

• The 2004-2005 Brubeck Fellows

• The 2003-2004 Brubeck Fellows

• The 2002-2003 Brubeck Fellows
Check out who these guys were.
Jazz has been more than just about those that play well it also about community from the players to the club owners to the angels that support live jazz with money to produce the music and bring concerts to the people to enjoy. It includes the volunteers that take tickets to those that get the word out. David Brubeck BY NO MEANS is the same piano player as Oscar Peterson and others that have fantastic technique but to not acknowledge all the contributions he has made to jazz based on his lack of chops is not right. But then again why should he care he plays pack out concerts with his kids and is having the time of his life and he doesn't have to justify his music or what he has done to anyone you can read about as he has secured his place in jazz history. DPVJAZZ

In the early 60's, my older brother introduced me to Blue Rondo a la Turk and Dave Brubeck. As a young beginner pianist, I copied the recording one note at a time until I had the entire 9/8 section "mastered". This was my intro to jazz.

Several years later, I had the opportunity to not only meet DB, record with him, and be a guest in his home. I saw the piano Time Out, was recorded on, the oils that were used as covers for Time Out, and Time Further Out, and the framed gold records on his walls. Needlesstosay, this experience was a major event in my life. DB has always been my mentor and always will be.

DB is heavy handed. That's his style. He's not Art Tatum, but who is? And who cares? He has made a huge contribution to jazz over the past 50+ years. Unlike many jazz musicians, DB has been a devoted father and husband. His strong religeous background and faith have been further demonstrated through his Oratorios, with their Biblical themes.

I prefer listening to George Shearing, Oscar Peterson, and Dave McKenna but in many ways,in my opinion, Brubeck is the still best.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission