2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,460 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
THE OFFICIAL 2006
POP ROCK FAVORITE PIANO PLAYER THREAD (PART 1)

(Taking Nominations on this first thread--- post on "who is your favorite pop/rock pianist at this time?"

Someone wanted a thread like this so I'll just start it out.

On this thread simply make a post about your favorite pop/rock pianist. Then add any comments to your post you wish to make as to your choice (comments are optional but it is good to support your pianist canidate. We just need your vote).

The main criteria for juding the variety of pianists out there who are doing or who have done pop/rock piano is that the pianist simply must be your favorite pop/rock pianist.

They must be from the modern eras of pop/rock.
Mainly 1950 to present?

Any questions?

Once we get some nominations perhaps we can get a poll set up to vote on who to give an "award" to.

May the most favorited pop/rock pianist win.

Please be kind to the other members who bring forth their picks--- there is no right answer as it is "to each his own" as to who they like best.

Discussion is as usual much encouraged; but any flaming is not to be tolerated.

I don't know if this sort of thread can fly here, but I will send it out and we shall see.

So now vote for your favorite pop/rock pianist. If he or she doesn't win and you didn't vote you don't have the right to complain.

The first round of votes will determine the top finalists--- then we will take the top picks and set up a poll for the final voting.

This thread is considered dead for counting purposes on January 14th. Vote now!

[Linked Image]

I have my own weapon of mass destruction in the form of a "teenage" German Shepherd. Anything she spies and can get ahold of is fair game.
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I like so many different pop rock pianists but I am voting on Billy Joel.

1. Here is my "Favorite" showing his chops...
ROOT BEER RAG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF9D3wnxfvQ

2. Here is Billy Joel doing his tune New York State of Mind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeSWaHdlVow

I have my own weapon of mass destruction in the form of a "teenage" German Shepherd. Anything she spies and can get ahold of is fair game.
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
The THREAD IS NOW OPEN... VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE POP/ROCK PIANIST.

Originally posted by wolfindmist:
THE OFFICIAL 2006
POP ROCK FAVORITE PIANO PLAYER THREAD (PART 1)

(Taking Nominations on this first thread--- post on "who is your favorite pop/rock pianist at this time?"

Someone wanted a thread like this so I'll just start it out.

On this thread simply make a post about your favorite pop/rock pianist. Then add any comments to your post you wish to make as to your choice (comments are optional but it is good to support your pianist canidate. We just need your vote).

The main criteria for juding the variety of pianists out there who are doing or who have done pop/rock piano is that the pianist simply must be your favorite pop/rock pianist.

They must be from the modern eras of pop/rock.
Mainly 1950 to present?

Any questions?

Once we get some nominations perhaps we can get a poll set up to vote on who to give an "award" to.

May the most favorited pop/rock pianist win.

Please be kind to the other members who bring forth their picks--- there is no right answer as it is "to each his own" as to who they like best.

Discussion is as usual much encouraged; but any flaming is not to be tolerated.

I don't know if this sort of thread can fly here, but I will send it out and we shall see.

So now vote for your favorite pop/rock pianist. If he or she doesn't win and you didn't vote you don't have the right to complain.

The first round of votes will determine the top finalists--- then we will take the top picks and set up a poll for the final voting.

This thread is considered dead for counting purposes on January 14th. Vote now!

[Linked Image]

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

ROOT BEAR RAG

Ironic you should pick this one, notice the music sitting on my music rack as we speak...

(one of the pieces I like to play, once my fingers are warmed up)

[Linked Image]

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
So have you decided who you will choose to be your favorite? LOL

Who wrote Root Bear Rag btw? I can't read it with better glasses or a zoom camera? Tell me or I'll have to go fetch for it.

Originally posted by Piano World:
[b] I like so many different pop rock pianists but I am voting on Billy Joel.

ROOT BEAR RAG

Ironic you should pick this one, notice the music sitting on my music rack as we speak...

(one of the pieces I like to play, once my fingers are warmed up)

[Linked Image] [/b]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Billy Joel, in 1974.

[Linked Image]

I haven't seen/heard him perform it in years.
Not surprising considering how much music he has written.

It's a fun piece to play.

I presume the sheet music is still available, although mine is from over 20 years ago when I owned my music store (wow, do I miss those days).

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I wonder what Scott Joplin would think of it...
that breakneck tempo is insane!

That poor piano must get tired after awhile.

Joel really has the chops.Complete package as a musician. Thus I gave him the vote; I still love Ray Charles and Elton .

I want to see Billy Joel in concert again someday... when I saw him during his River Of dreams Tour it was an incredible concert I shall always remember. Probably the best, he even beat seeing the Everly Bros on their Reunion Concert tour twice.

Billy Joel, in 1974.

I presume the sheet music is still available, although mine is from over 20 years ago when I owned my music store (wow, do I miss those days).

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I wonder what Scott Joplin would think of it...

Joel really has the chops.Complete package as a musician. Thus I gave him the vote; I still love Ray Charles and Elton .

I want to see Billy Joel in concert again someday... when I saw him during his River Of dreams Tour it was an incredible concert I shall always remember. Probably the best, he even beat seeing the Everly Bros on their Reunion Concert tour twice.

[b] Billy Joel, in 1974.

[/b]
I saw him a couple of years ago with Elton John, fantastic concert!

They worked off each others energy, and challenged each other the entire night.

They both obviously had a lot of respect for each other (as they should), and had a lot of fun playing.

It was a great night, each took turns playing solo, and playing together, with long sets every time. The tickets weren't cheap ($175.00 each), but worth every penny.

Keith Emerson is still my absolute favorite non-classical, non-jazz keyboard player, but Elton and Billy were truly amazing, and I'd pay to see them together again in a heart beat.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
you wrote:
Keith Emerson is still my absolute favorite non-classical, non-jazz keyboard player, but Elton and Billy were truly amazing, and I'd pay to see them together again in a heart beat.

Can we consider him (Keith Emerson) a nominee for the POPular/Rock pianist award????

I don't know as much about Emerson... but I liked what I saw in the recent thread about him. He truly has the gift. Amazing talent there too.

My guess is if this thread even flies it will be a battle between Elton, Billy Joel, Ray Charles, ,Stevie Wonder, Jerry Lee Lewis.

I wanted to see the face to face tour; unfortunately I was too ill when it came to town.
I envy you getting to see that show.

[b] I wonder what Scott Joplin would think of it...

[b] Billy Joel, in 1974.

[/b]
I saw him a couple of years ago with Elton John, fantastic concert!

They worked off each others energy, and challenged each other the entire night.

They both obviously had a lot of respect for each other (as they should), and had a lot of fun playing.

It was a great night, each took turns playing solo, and playing together, with long sets every time. The tickets weren't cheap ($175.00 each), but worth every penny.

Keith Emerson is still my absolute favorite non-classical, non-jazz keyboard player, but Elton and Billy were truly amazing, and I'd pay to see them together again in a heart beat. [/b]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I love all good keyboard players, and I'm in awe of many of them (T. Monk,M. Allison,D. Bruebeck, V. Horowitz,A. Rubenstein,B. Evans, R. Wakeman, K. Emerson, et-al).

But I happen to be particularly found of energetic, technically proficient interpretations and improvisations.

For that... Emerson is my man.

I can enjoy any good piano/keyboard playing.

When I attended the NAMM show a couple of years ago, there was a young piano player (who's name unfortunately escapes me right now), who could wail on the piano, and play anything he heard.

When I caught up with him, he happened to be in the Estonia booth. There was a monster Hammond musician playing in a booth across from them.

This kid played back everything the Hammond musician was playing, then embellished it.

I just love good keyboard music, of any kind.
That's why I'm so thrilled about how our Forums have grown. We have an amazing range of talented musicians, from "newbies" to concert artist and other professional performers.

I wish I could hear/see every one of them play, because I like and respect them all.

Look at our motto...
It's Fun to Play The Piano ... Pass It On!

Ok, I'll shut up now.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

For me it would have to be a tie between Elton and Billy Joel, although I've got to admit Billy Joel hand techniques on those keyboards are superb, I still think Elton is also up there at the top....he is a real showstopper, his creative style and rythym always inspire me and keep my heart dancing!

Also I would like to nominate Bruce Hornsby
I'll never forget how well he played " The way it Is"on that Steinway. Too bad we don't hear much from him anymore. Does anybody happpen to have a video of Bruce playing The Way It IS? confused

Who wrote Root Bear Rag btw?
Isn't it Root BEER Rag, rather than Bear, Wolfie? smile

E
E
Bruce Hornsby "The Way It Is"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSDbvbvhLKo

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
FRANK:

What kind of organ/stack do you have?

Looks fun!

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I must have been tired when I typed that...
LOL

I kinda think it's cute... but I'll go back and edit it.

Originally posted by Music Lover:
Who wrote Root Bear Rag btw?
Isn't it Root BEER Rag, rather than Bear, Wolfie? smile

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Edited the Bear out of the Rag!

[Linked Image]

ROOT BEER RAG

Originally posted by euclid10540:
Bruce Hornsby "The Way It Is"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSDbvbvhLKo
Thanks Euclid for sending this! He is really great on those keys!

This is one of my all time favorite piano rock performances. Great style............too bad we don't hear much from him anymore.

I'm going to have to select Jerry Lee Lewis (JLL) as my FAVORITE pop/rock piano player. Honorable mention goes to Elton John.

Please note that I am NOT claiming he is the "BEST" pop/rock piano player ever. I've already stated that we would have to establish certain judging criteria first, in order to determine a credible "winner".

JLL was Rock & Roll's first true wildman, and first great showman on piano. When he stood up and kicked that piano bench/stool out from under him, you'd better hold on to your hat.

His sheer energy was unsurpassed, and the excitement he could create in an audience was only approached by Elvis and the Beatles, and even then only in their early years.

His live performance at the Star Club in Hamburg in 1964, is considered by many to be the greatest live Rock performance in history. He played and sang like a man possessed.

The recording of that performance is considered by many to be the greatest live recording in Rock history.

Lewis was a pioneer who brought the piano and piano players to the forefront of the Rock world. Fats Domino and Little Richard were known more for their songs/singing than their piano playing. JLL made the piano one of the legendary instruments of Rock & Roll.

Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RppQRBwbhOs

Great Balls of Fire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qa-eKx9Du4

Breathless:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hArJfZbhDs

I'm On Fire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfLVtyRvTEs

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, I love Billy Joel, but overall, over the years, Elton has been more often on my "turntable." "Madman" and "Honky Chateau" and "Yellow Brick Road" were great "piano" albums when I was a teenager.

But I'll toss in a couple of players most of you probably wouldn't even think of...let's see if anyone reacts <g>:

Richard Wright
Keith Godcheaux

I'd also have to toss in Greg Allman, and perhaps Jackson Browne.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Richard Marx also--- for consideration

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission