2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 6 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
DenCato Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi,

I want to learn the common chord progressions in all keys.

This is rather basic stuff so I thought I would easily find some software or website with some exercices (ie asking the 2-5-1 in B flat and I have to answer the chord names).

I know I can figure all this out by myself, but I always learn much faster doing some drills. It kind of motivates me to get better wink

Do you know of any software or website that offers this possibility.
If not, I think I'm going to make a program myself, but I'd rather save the time to practice piano smile

DeCato
Don't know of anything, sorry. But if you decide to make the program, let me know. :-)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

The link "http://aebersold.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=JAZZ&Category_Code=_HANDBOOK" wasn't all "link" in your post".

Anyway, I can't wait to look into a few of those. Tomorrow, though, now I'm going to bed.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Learn Pachelbel's Canon in all keys first and just run through the roots/chords in your mind. It's pretty easy and all diatonic chords with a really formulaic root movement (fifth).

Then learn the first eight bars of Autumn Leaves. Again a very formulaic diatonic root movement (fourths). There is one chord that isn't diatonic however in the sixth bar (V7/vi).

Most tunes are going to revolve around root movement of fourth or fifth. You may run into a chord substitution once in while which can be derived back to its original chord.

Knowing your way around these progressions will do wonders for you!

Haywood
-------------
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm pretty sure Musition does this.

www.sibelius.com

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
On this topic, can anyone name a few "classic" songs that use the 2-5-1 progression?

Without music life would be a mistake
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
Originally posted by pastafarian:
On this topic, can anyone name a few "classic" songs that use the 2-5-1 progression?
Autumn Leaves
All the Things You Are
Cherokee
Four
How High The Moon
Just Friends

I'll leave it at that, as this is REAL hard to do while I'm listening to a Beethoven piano concerto at the moment, but there are ii-V-I progressions in here also!

-- ipgrunt
Amateur pianist, Son of a Pro
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Every classic song uses ii-V7-I somewhere!!

Haywood
-------------
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
DenCato,

I like the Chord Wheel very much. The graphic at the lower left shows a clear plastic "wheel" which is rotated around the circle. Simple, but effective. I've been using one for four years and also have given it as a gift.

Any drill that you find in any key can easily be transposed, using the Chord Wheel.

DavidH

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Learn the Circle of Fourths (aka the Circle of Fifths). If you go around the circle in the direction of the fourths, you'll have your 2-5-1 progression. The 1-chord is the chord you end up on.

The circle (in case you don't know it yet):

C# (7 #) = Db
F# (6 #) = Gb
B (5 #) = Cb
E (4 #)
A (3 #)
D (2 #)
G (1 #)
C
F (1 b)
Bb (2 b)
Eb (3 b)
Ab (4 b)
Db (5 b) = C#
Gb (6 b) = F#
Cb (7 b) = B

For example: 2-5-1 in C is D-G-C. Not surprisingly, that's exactly how the circle goes. Likewise, 2-5-1 in Bb is C-F-Bb. Almost too easy.

In fact, many other common chord progressions are simply a trip around the circle of fourths: 6-2-5-1, 7-3-6-2-5-1.

There are plenty of exercises for going around the circle. Here's one I like, using maj7 chords:

LH | RH
C | C E G B
F | C E F A
Bb | Bb D F A
Eb | Bb D Eb G

See the pattern? First you lower the top two notes. Then you lower the bottom two notes. Then the top two notes again. Repeat until you're through the circle.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh, before I forget: I have a set of audio drills for major scales that you can play on your computer or mp3 player.

I wrote a program that asks: "what is the 1st of C major, what is the 2nd of C major, what is the 3rd", etc, for all 12 major scales. Then I made the computer speak these questions into mp3 files.

To practice, I let my media player play these questions in a random order. Answers are provided after 1 second, so you have to answer quickly. I find it helps to train myself this way.

If anyone would like to have these audio drills, I can upload them somewhere. Let me know.

D
DenCato Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks all!

I checked out Musition, but it didn't seem to have what I was looking for.

I like the idea of taking Canon in D and playing it in all keys, but at the moment it seems such a hard job for me (only been playing for 14 months).

I want to learn this stuff the 'baby steps' way, as I still have my classical peaces to finish and those little Bach preludes are killing me wink

The Chord Wheel looks very very interesting. I'll check it out.

DeCato
D
DenCato Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally posted by mahlzeit:
Oh, before I forget: I have a set of audio drills for major scales that you can play on your computer or mp3 player.

I wrote a program that asks: "what is the 1st of C major, what is the 2nd of C major, what is the 3rd", etc, for all 12 major scales. Then I made the computer speak these questions into mp3 files.

To practice, I let my media player play these questions in a random order. Answers are provided after 1 second, so you have to answer quickly. I find it helps to train myself this way.

If anyone would like to have these audio drills, I can upload them somewhere. Let me know.
Mahlzeit, please upload smile

I'll take all the help I can get and it seems a great idea to me.

DeCato
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by DenCato:
Mahlzeit, please upload smile
Here it is: http://www.playzeit.com/theory-drills-mp3.zip

(About 1MB; 105 mp3 files inside the ZIP file.)

Hope it helps!

Thanks, ipgrunt. As a lover of blues/folk/rock and a former churchgoer, 1-4-5, 1-5-1, 4-1-5-1, etc, progressions are burned onto my brain, but any other progressions I have to work out by scanning chord charts. The "2-5-1" is frequently mentioned as being everywhere, but I have no sense of it in my mind's ear...

Without music life would be a mistake
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
D
DenCato Offline OP
OP Offline
D
[b]Mahlzeit, please upload smile

Hope it helps! [/b]
Thanks a lot!
Great robotic voice smile

DeCato
Originally posted by pastafarian:
Thanks, ipgrunt. As a lover of blues/folk/rock and a former churchgoer, 1-4-5, 1-5-1, 4-1-5-1, etc, progressions are burned onto my brain, but any other progressions I have to work out by scanning chord charts. The "2-5-1" is frequently mentioned as being everywhere, but I have no sense of it in my mind's ear...
You'll get it....if you have a fake book, learn a few new tunes each week. Look for the songs with familiar names (older songs, not current pop songs).

In these older songs (called standards), most of the V - I progressions ( C7 - F, G7 - C, etc.) you can substitute the ii-V for the V chord.

Last note: There's a great book by Luke Gillespie out of Indiana U. titled Stylistic ii-V-I Voicings for Keyboard. It contains basic voicings with alterations for just this progression, with examples of usage and applications in major, minor, modal situations with many examples....I've used this book for years to keep my playing fresh and recommend it highly.

-- ipgrunt
Amateur pianist, Son of a Pro
[b]Mahlzeit, please upload smile

Hope it helps! [/b]
Thanks for sharing! Nice job.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Pastafarian.

Sing this: Do Re Mi Fa Sol
Now sing this: Re-Sol-Do

This is 2-5-1.

Now listen to whatever jazz you have on at the moment and find the tonic pitch relative to the tune you are listening to. Now find Re-Sol-Do.

Now listen for this root movement in the tune.

Haywood
-------------
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission