2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
at my grandma's retirement community (she's in her mid 80s btw)? What are some good popular songs from the 1960s or earlier?

1950 (#144211) Baldwin Hamilton
1956 (#167714) Baldwin Hamilton
You can right-click my avatar for an option to view a larger version.
G
G
Although I personally don't like Hal Leonard stuff, there are three books by him that you might find appropriate -- Swing Jazz, Jazz of the 50's, and standards from the Ragtime era. Any of the songs from those books should be great.

Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
http://www.orangetreesamples.com
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Be sure to ask your Grandma and anoyone else that you can. Also, see if anyone can or will want to sing, and you might want to choose pieces that people can sing along to. If you do that, you might also want to bring copies of the lyrics.

I am having a hard time coming up with song titles, but one thing you might try is looking a few famous films from the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s, both musicals and otherwise. This should give you some really good ideas. (You obviously don't have to watch the films, just look at the info about them, see if theme songs are mentioned, if there are soundtracks etc)

Good luck with your piece-selection! You may not end up playing music that you personally choose, but playing things that people know and love is extremely satisfying!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
A
Just a suggestion. Doesn't some member of your family know what grandma's taste in music is? you will need to know that if possible to then see what are the most popular songs or jazzy stuff from her era. If she liked Sinatra or Bing Crosby it would be nice to know which, as they rarely sang the same stuff. She may well prefer film music in the more formal mode. If you can narrow the choices down someone here may well give you the right advice.

Alan

T
TS Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Duke Ellington!!! Satin doll is my favorite.. laugh

Hi -- I've played at several homes, you actually have a very captive audience, here's a list of some what I play, mostly songs from the 30's and 40's and broadway:

Misty, Moon River, Don't Get Around Much Anymore, Bye Bye Blackbird, Satin Doll, When I Fall In Love, Rhapsody In Blue, Skylark, In The Mood, New York New York, On the Steet Where You Live, selections from Phantom Of The Opera and Les Miserable, The Entertainer, Bewitched, Fools Rush In, Take The A Train, several Cole Porter tunes and Gershwin Tunes, Desafinado, All of Me, Blue Skies, Girl From Ipanema, Meditation, Early Autumn, It Had To Be You, I Can't Give You Anything But Love, The Nearness of You, One Note Samba, Deep Purple, My Funny Valentine, Memories (from Cats), songs from West Side Story, Days of Wine & Roses.

Alot of times, I tell a little something about the composer or a story behind the song..have fun!

http://www.gigmasters.com/mp3/8775_wineandroses8775.mp3

G
G
Hahahah, Days of Wine and Roses! You hear that tune called a whole lot. Nice arrangement!

Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Some Harold Arlen, Somewhere over the Rainbow, Blues in the Night, That old Black Magic, I've got the World on a string, Let's fall in love.

Thank you gregjazz. wink

B
B
Cry Me A River, Someday My Prince Will Come, Smoke Gets in Your Eyes....

So much good/fun music, so little time (and in my case, so little talent :rolleyes:

John, Eh

"Remember, wherever you go, there you are" -- Buckaroo Bonzai
G
G
How about Moonlight in Vermont? Everyone loves that song. Well... most everyone. smile

http://herculeaneffort.adventuredevelopers.com/moonlight%20in%20vermont.mp3

Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Excellent version of Moonlight in Vermont!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
oh I hate to admit it but I can almost play "Old Cape Cod" by heart! shocked laugh

Bob

S
S
Find some of the old song books from the 60s. My favorite resource for jobs like this is an old Mitch Miller book.

Stick mostly to songs - you can do a sing a long a time or two if you want, but mostly if you pick something that they will know the words to, they will follow it along in their heads, and enjoy it more. Plus, you can always take any of these tunes and make a fun arrangement out of them.

Another thought in my random stream of consciousness - find a Hoagy Carmichael folio. Stardust, Georgia on my Mind, Two Sleepy People, Heart and Soul, the list goes on forever....

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Steve the ragtimer:
Another thought in my random stream of consciousness - find a Hoagy Carmichael folio. Stardust, Georgia on my Mind, Two Sleepy People, Heart and Soul, the list goes on forever....
I second that recommendation of Carmichael. Other favorites besides those are "How Little We Know" with its wonderful begine rhythm that feels like dancing while playing, and the challenging "Hong Kong Blues".

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission