2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
OP Offline
K
I am wondering if anyone can suggest some good Black Gospel style on cd that has alot of good old time piano and organ that is not burried in the mix???
Thanks

P140 P85 Px200 Motif ES Rack
Behringer Truth B2031A
I
I
I can't tell you a specific CD, since most of my stuff is on vinyl, but anything by Mahalia Jackson is a winner.

K
OP Offline
K
Thanks Chad
She is great but the keys are not out front on all her stuff.
I want more stripped down stuff, heavy on the keys.
Do you know of any artists who are maybe piano players themselves since they would put the keys up front in the mix???Someone like Ray Charles but gospel... Help is appreciated

Behringer Truth B2031A
I
I
Sorry, I can't help you out there. Maybe you would want to try the Musicplayer.com keyboard forums?

Chad

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Here is one I like...
A 2 CD set I bought at about 8.99 at the Walmrt.

"Church Ut Up!"
30 Church Choir Classics
Featuring Rickey Payton
Urban Nation
and New Bethel.
*Includes 24 page history of Gospel Music.

I'll see if I can find some samples at Amazon. and send a link if I can

I have my own weapon of mass destruction in the form of a "teenage" German Shepherd. Anything she spies and can get ahold of is fair game.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I have my own weapon of mass destruction in the form of a "teenage" German Shepherd. Anything she spies and can get ahold of is fair game.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Unfortunately I couldn't find any MP# samples there of the cuts on it. But try Amazon and just type in Black Gospel and see what you get. Maybe even try Black Gospel Piano"?

K
OP Offline
K
Thanks for the suggestion. I will look at walmart also. So these are not done in the Lutheran/Catholic style are they??? I am looking for toe tappin Church music lol..

Behringer Truth B2031A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
These are toe tapping ones. The kind that get you rolling along in praise and worship.
"Oh Happy Day" just wouldn't sound the same done the Luth. way (OK folks... I grew up as a Lutheran so I can dis them a bit.).

The price was right... and you will feel like you are in a black church attending an all day sunday service in no time. I seriously want to go to a church that has a choir that does black gospel music. To me, this way of doing the gospel music brings it alive and makes you feel something inside.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Here is a message board I found the other day; you might find it helpful also.

http://www.blackgospel.com/interact/

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I found this one also yesterday.
http://www.learngospelmusic.com/

I used to have some other great links I used... but lost them when I got the new computer.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Edit:
Here is one of the groups Bios... cool group indeed.

http://www.urbannation.org/urbanbio.html

just for fun I plugged in Urban Nation Hip Hop Choir and got this website...

http://www.urbannation.org/

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I really enjoy listening to great black church choirs singing black gospel.

This group I first heard on the BET channel (Sunday mornings you can watch black gospel videos and performances at around 9-10 am. btw)

http://www.tricitysingers.com/
I love their tune "Blessing Of Abraham"... (watch for the video of it on BET on Sundays) as
they really do this one right. With multiple choirs on it I think.

Quote from their website:
USA Today once referred to them as "one of the most phenomenal choirs out now" and - after 15 years of hits, Grammy nominations and TV appearances - Donald Lawrence & the Tri-City Singers are parting company. However, they are going out on the heels of their most successful release (CD/DVD) Finale Act I & II (EMI Gospel), which kicks off October 11th in Nashville. The rousing lead single, "The Blessing of Abraham" spent an unprecedented 18 weeks in the #1 slot on the Radio & Records magazine gospel singles chart and there's now a tremendous national demand to see the dynamic choir and its charismatic leader in person one last time.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This board has some interesting threads on it... it is on one of the sites I gave you earlier.
Hope this all helps.

http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php?board=14.0

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Some kewl free Black Gospel/ Jazz piano lessons on this Church Website....

http://www.southpoint4u.com/Keyboard.asp

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I wanted to buy this DVD at Best Buy but at the time the price was too high for me.
It sounds like a good one.

Originally posted by wolfindmist:
I really enjoy listening to great black church choirs singing black gospel.

This group I first heard on the BET channel (Sunday mornings you can watch black gospel videos and performances at around 9-10 am. btw)

http://www.tricitysingers.com/
I love their tune "Blessing Of Abraham"... (watch for the video of it on BET on Sundays) as
they really do this one right. With multiple choirs on it I think.

Quote from their website:
USA Today once referred to them as "one of the most phenomenal choirs out now" and - after 15 years of hits, Grammy nominations and TV appearances - Donald Lawrence & the Tri-City Singers are parting company. However, they are going out on the heels of their most successful release (CD/DVD) Finale Act I & II (EMI Gospel), which kicks off October 11th in Nashville. The rousing lead single, "The Blessing of Abraham" spent an unprecedented 18 weeks in the #1 slot on the Radio & Records magazine gospel singles chart and there's now a tremendous national demand to see the dynamic choir and its charismatic leader in person one last time.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Check out the Billy Preston thread.... on this board.

He is awesome on that Hammond B3.

K
OP Offline
K
Thanks for all the great ideas. I guess what I am really after is simply a guy singing great old song with just his piano. Can't believe I cannot find such recording. Thank for the help.

Behringer Truth B2031A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Too bad you don't live over here; the Vets home has an accompianist that plays piano like that. Only he doesn't song so he has soloists including myself come and sing with him. He plays only by ear, taught himself by listening to blues, jazz, black gospel and R&B stuff.

Do try this forum out...
http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Also go on Amazon and type in black gospel into their search engine; I am sure their are recordings around. Also the Library of Congress may have such recordings in the online archives.

I will do some more searching in the meanwhile... if I turn up any other finds I will post them to this thread.

Perhaps the other members might chime in and give some suggestions and links for what you are looking for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission