2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
There's another analysis here:
Five Lectures on the Acoustics of the Piano.

Semipro Tech
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Thak you BDB for that excellent and informative link.

B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
You can learn a lot by poking hammers with one voicing needle, determining which areas are harder than others and comparing it to the tone. Do this on different pianos, and get a better understanding of the piano hammer. Some things are just better done by hand.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
del,
please pay no attention to the cursing behind the curtain. you are a very highly valued member of this forum, and you deserve all of our respect and thanks.

i am personally very grateful for the piano education you have given all of us, and hope you realize that you are held in the highest esteem here, and your presence adds tremendous value to this site.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Del, I didn't want to comment in this thread lest I give undeserved attention to your detractor.

However, I must say that I read all of your comments here and in other forums with great interest even when they pertain to things I find trivial or incomprehensible. Must be your writing style.

Thank you for contributing so generously.

G
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally posted by BDB:
There's another analysis here:
Five Lectures on the Acoustics of the Piano.
BDB,

Excellent! Thank you. Alot of info on hammer hardness. Also much else to look at. Thank you.

I also found MarkS's link as well when researching Estonia pianos... Very interesting as well, but will require my undivided attn when I can give it.

Regards,

Grotriman
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
How quickly sides are picked and demarcation lines sketched in this forum.

I personally find worth in both members and would rather they both keep posting information, including occasional backyard rumbles, than try to pick my favourite and blast the other "detractor".

Manitou - Pianist - Technician
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Grotriman:
Del,

The reason I posted the hardness was that someone in another thread asked for the numbers.

BTW are these numbers (85-90) typical in other hammers? Or are they unique to Abels?
My measuring of this type was done during the mid- to late- '80s and much may have changed among hammer makers since then. But, yes, the numbers you are getting are typical of many hammers. Most of them measured in the high 70s to mid 80s. The problem was that we couldn't come up with any consistent way to determine how hammers with some given Shore hardness readings were going actually sound once they ended up on a piano.

Del

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by MarkS:
Any opinions on this?

http://www.cs.ioc.ee/~stulov/smac03.pdf
This is the idea. This actually begins to define how the hammer works dynamically. It is a considerable extension beyond what we started to do. It gives an idea of how a specific hammer will actually work when it impacts a set of strings. Simply measuring surface hardness does not do that.

These folks, by the way, (in conjunction with Estonia) are doing some interesting work. While I take exception to some of their conclusions and application their basic investigations are coming up with some good basic information.

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Bob:
You can learn a lot by poking hammers with one voicing needle, determining which areas are harder than others and comparing it to the tone. Do this on different pianos, and get a better understanding of the piano hammer. Some things are just better done by hand.
Funny you should mention that. This was another technique we tried. Inserting a needle into the hammer at various points while measuring and plotting the force required to press it home. While this was somewhat more reliable than measuring the surface hardness it was still not completely reliable. While I and another individual (who also had some considerable voicing experience) could ‘feel’ the difference it proved to be hard to quantify with numbers. It was also destructive — that is, testing altered the character of the hammer — and we were looking for a completely non-destructive technique.

Del

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Since there doesn't seem to be any women looking at the moment, I guess I can throw in my own bit of geek knowledge here...

I think humidity needs to be factored in these hardness measurements. Although there seems to be a common notion that hammers in higher humidity are more "soggy" sounding, I find the situation in fact the opposite, at least in the case of modern hammers with significant tension in them. I find them brighter and believe they are harder. I believe I have also observed a correlation with the tendency of them to break strings.

Wool is hygroscopic and I believe there is a swelling that results from high humidity, making the tension higher. Wool is a kind of hair, of course, and look what happens to the hair on your head when you go from a place of low humidity to one of high humidity. For many of us, we find we have a new, unexpected hairstyle.

Regards,

Rick Clark

Rick Clark

Piano tuner-technician
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
hi, rick (woman lurking here, but not sure where the offense lies confused ).

i had wondered about the role of humidity myself. and the hair analogy is a good one (speaking as one who has naturally curly hair).

when humidity is around 53 percent, my piano sounds its best. in lower humidity, say around 42, i didn't like it as well. derick i think has also posted that his piano (the falcone) had longer sustain at lower humidity.

of course, since my treble hammers were replaced, i'm not noticing an "improvement" at higher humidity any more. but the tonal qualities do still change with even slight shifts in humidity. i find higher humidity confers a warmer richer sound. and lower humidity seems to have a tone with slightly less dimension to it.

i'm only experiencing this within a ten percent range, mind you.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hi Pique,

My comment relates to a comment I made earlier in the thread.

Humidity also affects the way sound propagates through the air. So when there is a tonal change along with humidity change, one would guess that part of it is due to the change in hammer felt tension (for the tensioned *type* of hammer anyway) but also part of it is due to differences in the air itself.

However, I'm getting altogether too geeky here and must end it now.

Better to listen to music than listen to acoustics.

Regards,

Rick Clark

Rick Clark

Piano tuner-technician
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
that would make a great tag line.

thanks for the insights, rick. hadn't thought about the density of the air itself being a factor.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

G
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally posted by piqué:
that would make a great tag line.

thanks for the insights, rick. hadn't thought about the density of the air itself being a factor.
Believe it or not, air is less viscous when it is humid. This has to do with the fact that the oxygen molecules are polar and have "magnetic" interaction with each other. When it is humid, the water molecules interfere with this attraction between oxygen molecules. In my experience, high frequencies are heard better in humid environments.

Regards,

Grotriman
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission