2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Hi Gryphon,

I don't know why the Compaq's built-in sound card would have so much noise, but here are a few more questions that might lead us to some answers... Is it just white noise or 60-cycle hum or both? What's your mic setup, is it powered by AC or battery? Is the mic cable shielded? To do your test on the computer upstairs did you use the same mic setup?

Is there more than one input on the Compaq's sound card? If so you could try the other input (which you probably already have if there is), also did you play with the volume-control applet & shut off whatever inputs you're not recording from? For example, my PC's card has a line-in and a mic-in, and I'd guess the mic-in is preamped to some degree. There's also a 20db mic boost option of some sort. Any options like that on your Compaq? If you haven't already, I'd suggest shutting off unused inputs and cranking the volume for the input you're using most or all the way up.

I don't suppose you could run shielded cable up to the PC to do the recording on that computer? That might just introduce more noise though.

Another option might be to use an MP3 recorder, they can record at basically CD quality. I use a PoGo RipFlash trio, it's a little credit-card-sized thing with 128MB of RAM, holds hours at decent quality. Pretty handy if I want to mess around and do a little recording session at the piano store where I take my lessons, etc.

Hope that helps...

-Paul

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Gryphon, you might try what I do. My Dell Inspiron laptop has a completely unacceptable hum when it's plugged into AC current. But if I run it on battery the hum is gone. It's also gone if I bypass the ground. I just plug one of those 3->2 ground adapters onto the power cord and leave the ground unconnected.

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Thanks for the information, Elena. My musical purpose in recording is more to keep a diary of ideas rather than to perfect performance. I do have high quality tape equipment but tapes do deteriorate over many years and I am toying with the idea of buying a decent CD recorder.

For the purpose of the Pianoworld CD I shall just pay somebody to do a one-off transfer for me to CD or file and hope the quality is good enough.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I've been wanting to buy something to record with for some time, so yesterday I did it. I Bought: A Fostex MR-8 8-track digital recorder and 2 Shure SM57s.

I hope the Fostex does a good job, but just in case it doesn't do what I want, I can return it for a full refund.

Features:

* Stores to included 128MB flash card
* 16-bit/44.1kHz uncompressed linear sound quality
* 2-track simultaneous recording
* 8-track playback
* Ultra-intuitive interface
* 128x64 backlit dot-matrix LCD
* 38 self-illuminating keys
* Onboard guitar distortion
* Amp modeling
* Mic modeling
* Digital reverb and delay section
* Mastering effect for stereo bus
* Optical S/PDIF out
* USB port for WAV transfer to PC
* 6 AA alkaline cell operation
* Included power supply
* Built-in microphone
* Sophisticated editing/archiving system

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
BTW, If this works out well, I'll be willing to loan it to anyone in the NY area for recording their piece for our CD.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Okay, I'm a computer dunce. If I record onto a cassette, what do I have to do to get that to digital form? Can I just snail mail it to someone with a good soundcard and the knowledge to convert it to MP3?

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I was waiting for someone to answer you, Pete, but nobody has. I'm in the same boat. I have very good tape facilities but nothing else. I'm hoping somebody local, for a few dollars, will make me either a CD or a file from a tape. I've found a few contacts from music shops - shouldn't be too hard to jack up.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
I can do a fairly decent analogue to digital conversion from either Vinyl or cassete. Not professional, but it wouldn't sound any worse than the original.

Send me a private message if you want my help.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
We used to record our recital series (20 + years ago), and used to record to VHS. Does anyone still do this, or know if it's worth trying?

I'd really like to take part in this, but get too nervous playing in front of people to actually have someone record it for me. If I can get the VHS to my computer I could probably record myself, and do whatever digital work I can to it on my computer.
We already have some nice mics, and such, but the medium is the problem, how to get the VHS to my laptop?

Does anyone have any ideas?

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I have now bought a CD recorder (I wanted one to make durable recordings of improvisation; tapes deteriorate over the years) which, in conjunction with my good tape deck, seems to make excellent recordings. Well, they sound all right to me anyway. I can use software on this computer to make mp3s from the CD quite easily if required.

So now I have finalised what I shall submit it's just a question of playing well enough.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley
G
G
so how did the mr 8 with the sm 57s work out?

George
New York, NY
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi georgeped. The MR8 is great--quite easy to use. It came with a 128MB compact flash card which can only hold about 20 minutes, so I'm going to buy a 1Gig card (currently ~$99) that will hold and hour and a half's worth.

I haven't yet figured out how I want to mic the piano though. I've been so busy I haven't had much time to experiment. Ditto with the various settings on the MR8.

Fun!

G
G
Thanks Bernard

George
New York, NY
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Someone? Anyone? Need help!

My teacher recorded me today. It's not the best equipment, but there I am, on CD (and it wasn't even a bad take!). Except, I can't upload it. Is there a way to convert it to a mp3 or wav file? My computer says it's a cda file. Does this make sense?

thanks in advance!
penny

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
It does. smile You need to "rip" the file from the CD, Penny.

If you don't have Nero, or something similar, CDex should do the trick.

http://www.cdex.n3.net

HTH

David

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You are so sweet to help! BUT ...

I've copied it to my computer, and now it's a wma file. I guess I'll click on that link you show above.

EERRRGGHHH

penny

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yikes, I downloaded it. But it's not exactly user friendly. Any idea where to start?

penny

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
*bump*

(help, only a week and a half left!)

penny

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Penny,

If you intend to submit the recording to the Piano World CD project, send me an e-mail or private message -- I'll give you an address where you can send me the CD. I'll do the conversion for you and retain a soft copy of the material for inclusion in Piano World CD. smile

(I use Apple's Macintosh computer and they have something called iTunes can let you "rip" music from CD and convert to MP3 quite easily -- and they have a version for Windows that you can use for free -- see http://www.itunes.com/ if you want to give that a shot.)

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Just made a recording following Dan M's playbook (a pair of MXL 990 microphones and an M-Audio AudioBuddy pre-amp). See THIS POST (click here) for details and link to MP3. Thanks, Dan M!

Comments and suggestions on how to make better audio recordings are welcome and will be greatly appreciated. smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission