2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, 10 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
chprout Offline OP
OP Offline
C
HI again. I am a beginner and know how to read the treble clef, as I already play a couple of different instruments. But boy that Bass clef is a monster at 40 years old.

Some methods out there say they teach you to read a chord chart, so you can play from a fakebook or something. I'd love to do this. But there's also an advantage to reading the bass cleff as well.

What do you guys do? Any of you play only from a chord chart? If so, how did you learn all those variations of the chord, such as "Fmaj7#11" and so forth? I can piece together a three note chord, but once I get past adding on a 7th, I get confused which notes it is. Anyone found any great teach yourself methods on how to play with chords and their variations?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Depending on your goals, I'd recommend being able to do both. If you can piece together a triad or a 7th chord, you should be able to figure out the rest assuming you know what the constructs are (aug, dim, min, etc.) and how they're noted. It might just take a while. Or you can get a chord chart/book.

I just started (yesterday in fact) a method that I think/hope will increase my facility with chords. It's called the Keyboard Accompaniment Method (see www.quenmar.com). I really can't provide a whole lot of feedback yet since I'm only in the first Basics book. There are a total of four books in the Basics section and then six in the advanced section. I'm also hoping to find some other books/methods that address this topic, as I find that I can select the information that is most useful/pertinent to me.

markb--The Count of Casio
C
chprout Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks. Please let me know as soon as you've tried this out. Someone else on here is also trying out the Sudnow method and I'm interested in hearing how that's going as well. Please keep me posted as quickly as possible.

Learning to play from a fake book is skill upon itself, but well worth the effort. But you still need to learn the bass clef....no way around it. Check out "How to Play from a Fake Book".

Typically you are going to start by learning to play just block chords in the left hand and the melody in the right hand, and then you will probably want to start to learn 7th and 9th chords by splitting the chord up into both hands. And then rootless 11th and 13th chords. etc. etc. Then you can start to learn to "improvise" on the piece to fill in those big "empty" spaces. It also not to unusual with chords like the one you mentioned FMaj7#11 where that #11 is the melody note itself. Fake books can be a lot of fun. But you still learn that bass clef. smile

And for what it's worth, you can check this previous topic.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/91.html#000007

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
It just takes time, stick with it.

I work each hand separately for a brief period of time then start brining them together. Depending on the piece I usually work on a phrase at a time (sometimes just a measure) until I get it right.

It depends what your goals are but I would learn both clefs. This will give you the option of much more literature to work with.

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission