2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Erin_J Offline OP
OP Offline
What is the difference between
- Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course, and
- Alfred's Basic Adult All-in-One Piano Course?

I have the all-in-one and wondered if there was much difference? Is there an advantage to using one over the other? I have read the Alfred specific threads. Thanks :-)

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
The all in one has more pieces and more theory.

The All-in-One also includes material from the Alfred Theory book and pieces included in some of the other Alfred supplemental books that are available (I'm not sure but I'd guess from the all-time favorite book, greatest hits book, etc.)

Do or do not, there is no try.

CURRENT PIECES
Beethoven Sonata Op.49 No.2
Fur Elise
Chopin Waltz Op.69 No.2
Chopin Nocturne Op.9 No.2
Schumann Op.15 No.1 (About Strange Lands and People)
Schumann Op.15 No.7 (Traumerei)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have the All in One and it has about 30 more pieces but some of the pieces in the Adult basic aren't in the All in one by maybe 5 so I got both because some of the missing pieces are really lovely.

It's heavier in theory and written exercises as well.

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
G
G
OK, so I just realized that I got the wrong one. I mean to get the all-in-one, but I ended up with the basic. Not a huge deal as far as the songs go (I don't love any of them at this point, so the extra aren't needed), but I am more worried about the theory. Is the best bet to buy the additional theory book that goes with the basic course? Would this cover everything that I need?

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
If it were my dilemma I'd buy the "Alfred's Basic Adult All-in-One Piano Course + CD" and sell the other one on eBay, it may be the most economical choice. Alfred's Piano books usually sell well on eBay.

G
G
Thanks for the reply. That is one thought, Crusader, but I don't have time to mess with ebay. Plus, the cover of the book has already started to come undone (after only a week... grr). I guess I will echo my original question, does the theory book cover the difference between the basic and all-in-one?

Grumbles,

I am a beginner taking lessons. Do you use this book in place of lessons or as a supplement to lessons?

G
G
I just started and I have been using it in place of lessons, only because I don't have a teacher. I do plan on getting lessons sometimes though when I can afford them though just to prevent bad habits or misunderstanding key concepts.

I can't answer re the theory book. I used the basic Alfred book. For theory I have the Eric Taylor ABRSM and a couple of theory workbooks. There are theory online sites available for free. I have looked through the all-in-one in some detail. It does contain some more exercises and techniques, and a few extra tunes, mostly short and missable IMHO, though the extra blues pieces may be of interest. Not so much is missing that I think one is particularly disadvantaged by having only the basic.
Just my take on it.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Grumbles:
I just started and I have been using it in place of lessons, only because I don't have a teacher. I do plan on getting lessons sometimes though when I can afford them though just to prevent bad habits or misunderstanding key concepts.
I was going to write this exact same thing.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Plus, the cover of the book has already started to come undone (after only a week... grr)
One advantage of the "Alfred's All-in-One" book is it's spiral bound, it doesn't get damaged so easily and sits on the music stand better.

G
G
Crusader- I had heard that about the All-in-One, unfortunately, I am out of the market on that book. I am a student (aka, poor) and don't have a ton to spend on books. That is why I am wondering about the theory book (or any theory book for that matter). It is too bad that I grabbed the wrong one, at the time I thought that All-in-One just meant that it included the CD. Oh well, live and learn.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Grumbles:
Crusader- I had heard that about the All-in-One, unfortunately, I am out of the market on that book. I am a student (aka, poor) and don't have a ton to spend on books. That is why I am wondering about the theory book (or any theory book for that matter). It is too bad that I grabbed the wrong one, at the time I thought that All-in-One just meant that it included the CD. Oh well, live and learn.
I have the All In One, but eschewed the CD. I find Youtube recordings to be more helpful.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
It appears the long list of Alfred's Piano Theory books is just as confusing but I think this one contains much, or perhaps more, of the Theory from Alfred's All-in One book 1; some of the forum members on the Alfred's Bk 1 Thread may be more familiar with it's contents.

G
G
Crusader- thanks, that is really helpful. I will drive around town and hunt it down. Thanks again.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission