2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by John Frank:
"Why do I want to learn to play the piano?"

To play the music I love.

"What is your goal?"

To play the music I Love.

Regards, JF
Pretty much sums me up also. For years I kept telling myself "I'd do it". Then before you know I'm knocking on the door of 40 so it was time to stop talking about it and to start doing it.

There are many tunes and genres that I enjoy listening to. My Goal? I guess it would be to ensure I have the basics down of understanding music (reading etc) so I can break down any piece I purchase the music for. Then add this to my library of songs to learn and then play on a regular basis..

Eventually I hope to also train my "playing by ear" techniques so I can begin to pick out score I hear (TV themes, shows, movies etc) and then play them..

thumb

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
megrenk Offline OP
OP Offline
Diane: Nothing silly about it! Keep going and enjoy it smile

And for all it is worth, I started learning the piano in 2007, aged 50 smile

Ken: as we all know there are multiple ways to skin a cat smile
Classical is the way to go for a foundation (if you can stand classic of course). It is slow, thorough and rewarding.
The (as I call it) contemporary music education (in my case) started with chords: major, minor, 7th, in all keys, and getting the hang of it, which is automatic mode; writing my own pieces, finding melody notes to chords, additional melody notes to fill in, and so forth... but distinctively different from what (at least) I learn in the classical tuition.

I am sure my seesaw between the two will tip eventually tip to one side. At present I am not sure, and do not care much either, whether it actually "will" tip. smile

It is certainly demanding serving two masters... I will assess this situation over the Xmas break.

"Happiness is a matter of traveling, not a destination to arrive at!"

Music makes me happy: www.max.grenkowitz.net/
Z
Z
I have a more basic reason for taking up piano at age 53. My twins have been taking lessons for 6 years now and the teacher recommended a better piano for practice, as they are both quite good. When we finally went to buy one we ended up with a Yamaha G2 5'7" grand that cost a boatload of money (at least to me, if not to a Steinway or other high-end owner). I figured I better learn how to play the thing myself after spending all that!

And I have been learning, doing pretty well for a first-timer.

K
K
Max, I think that the piano fundamentals are the same regardless of whether you go to a classical or jazz teacher. You're going to have to learn basic keyboard skills first.

The only difference imo is that the teacher may in addition to technique have you either work on some classical pieces, or if a jazz teacher have you playing voicings or learn comping or whatever.

Monk - Boo Boo's Birthday
Bach - Two Part Invention No.11
[Linked Image]
megrenk Offline OP
OP Offline
zacster: LOL -- this is funny! smile But yeah, why not smile

Ken: Let's say then that my tutors approach it from different angles. I can truely say that one does not teach me what the other does and vice versa.
Never mind, I am loving it smile

"Happiness is a matter of traveling, not a destination to arrive at!"

Music makes me happy: www.max.grenkowitz.net/
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Not really a goal, but a side benefit of learning the piano - yesterday my 7 year old grandaughter was sitting at the piano, just fiddling around. I asked if she'd like to learn about playing the piano. Although unenthusiastic, she applied herself to learning the C scale and major chord. She was extremely proud of herself, enough so that she insisted that her 9 year old brother hear her "Performance". Being able to share her joy was reason enough for me to learn to play!

Steinway 1905 model A, rebuild started 2008, completed 2012
Yahama CVP-401
Will somone get my wife off the Steinway so I can play it!
Hi Max! At first, my goal when i started was to play music for the various programs at my church! Wrong, my goals now are just to enjoy the moments while I am working on a piece or two or three, and remaining excited that I am able to play almost anything!

But I tell, don;t just stop making goals; I figure that each time I am introduced to a new piece that is more difficult than the others, my goal is to give it my best shot and enjoy the learning!

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission