2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
62 members (BMKE, Brendan, 36251, Andrew E., AndrewJCW, brdwyguy, ambrozy, 15 invisible), 626 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by piano_deb:
BazC, I checked Amazon, and it looks like there are two editions: one with the book only, and one with the book and the CD. If you receive only the book, perhaps the seller will allow you to exchange it for the edition that includes the CD.

smile
Wow, thanks for telling me! I just phoned my supplier and I had ordered the one without the CD! I've just changed it so I should be getting the right one laugh

Thanks again!

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
RDD Offline
I agree with others above. The Alfred edition CDs are helpful. I have both the Book of 18 Short Preludes and the 2 & 3 Part Inventions. The editors clearly state that their approach to phrasing and ornamentation is their opinion and they usually explain what they've arranged. It is not put out their as gospel.

I also think the assertion that Bach didn't write the book of 6 preludes is rubish. I suspect anyone who has played No. 5 from this selection would agree.

RDD Offline
sorry for the spelling error

Originally posted by RDD:
...It is not put out their as gospel...
A small error. I had to re-read twice to see it. It's one I make now and again and can't seem to prevent even when my conscious intent is "there."

I appreciate the effort to use correct spelling and grammar as opposed to the strong tendencies in the opposite direction fostered by IM nuttiness.

Rod Michael
Mason & Hamlin AA, SN 93018
Yamaha CGP-1000, SN UCNZ01010
Zoom Q3
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I also think the assertion that Bach didn't write the book of 6 preludes is rubish. I suspect anyone who has played No. 5 from this selection would agree.
I play 5 and I like it quite a lot. I am working on 2 and 3, as well. I find some of this material at least as musically interesting as a lot of the two part inventions. If one wanted to talk about JSB not writing stuff attributed to him, I suppose one could have fun with the Anna M Notebooks. Personally, I don't care. I like the music. I just haven't seen a convincing argument it's not Bach's music.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
... The Alfred edition CDs are helpful. I have both the Book of 18 Short Preludes and the 2 & 3 Part Inventions. The editors clearly state that their approach to phrasing and ornamentation is their opinion ...
Actually, I think this needs a slight qualification. I believe that in most cases the editors are trying to document historical practices during the period using the best sources they can find (for ornamentation, mostly the work of C.P.E. Bach).

I do appreciate that in the Alfred editions there is a typograhic distinction between the editor's additions and emendations and the original manuscript or autograph sources. But I think saying these additions are "just their opinion" doesn't quite do justice to the research that goes into one of these editions.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
RDD Offline
Agreed, Paul. I did not intend to make light of their scholarship. In fact, I admire the way in which they've including references and explanations. It is a well-informed opinion.

I simply meant to point out that the editors acknowledge that other interpretations are possible, particularly with phrasing.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally posted by J. Mark:
[b] I also think the assertion that Bach didn't write the book of 6 preludes is rubish. I suspect anyone who has played No. 5 from this selection would agree.
I play 5 and I like it quite a lot. I am working on 2 and 3, as well. I find some of this material at least as musically interesting as a lot of the two part inventions. If one wanted to talk about JSB not writing stuff attributed to him, I suppose one could have fun with the Anna M Notebooks. Personally, I don't care. I like the music. I just haven't seen a convincing argument it's not Bach's music. [/b]
I can certainly see the master's hand, even if JSB did not actually pen them. And, Like J.Mark, I don't really care either. I like the music.

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
L
L
I have a copy of "JS Bach: The First Book for Pianist", an Alfred Masterwork Edition. It contains about a dozen pieces, a small cross section of Minuets, Musettes, Preludes and other shorter simpler pieces, several from AMBach's Notebook.

A lot of the music from Anna's Notebook are attributed to other composers, including the famous Minuet in G and Minuet in G minor, which I'm trying to learn now. reference

I also have a Schrimer's First Lessons in Bach - Books 1&2: Piano Solo, which contain some of the same music.

Not a too difficult, the Minuets are challenging for my beginner level, and satisfyingly familiar. Technically, I find the Alfred's arrangement a bit harder, requiring more phrasing and drop-lifts.

l's dad

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Arrangements? You mean, these pieces are subject to different arrangements? That strikes me as just... wrong.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J. Mark,

I would have said more editing than arranging.

Music composed in the Baroque era did not include phrasing marks, dynamic indications, or tempo indications. Many editors will add this in. Sometimes, like in better Alfred editions, they use a different color text to make it clear what is original and what is editorial.

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Rich,

OK, yes, I understand that. I do like the way the Alfred editions are done in that regard. They are careful to distinguish an ornament indicated by the composer vs an ornament suggested by the editors (often noting that such ornament has long been accepted, or not, etc). That is a nice feature. I just bristled at the idea of there being "arrangements" of these basic classics.

Mark

L
L
Thanks for clarifying. I realize that most Baroque keyboard music was composed for the harpsichord or the clavichord, making the transition to piano subject to interpretation. Calling it editing over arrangements makes more sense.

The two versions I have of the Minuet in G (Petzold/Bach) are different (Schirmer/Carroll & Alfred/Palmer). For example, the latter has first phrase ending on a staccato D, the first quarter note in the 2nd measure. The former carries the phrase to the 2nd note, a staccato G, in the 2nd measure.

The results are quite different.

For me, sync'ing with the staccato D on the right hand with the dotted half note B on the left was easier to learn, but holding the D while playing the B sounds more like it should (IMHO). I taught myself the Schirmer/Carroll version first and am now trying to relearn the entire piece using the Alfred/Palmer version.

Again, more phrasing and drop-lifts (Baroque - slurred, two note combinations) in the Alfred/Palmer version. ...making it more musical and a bit harder for me...beginner that I am.

Did that make sense? I've never talked "piano" before... smile

l's dad

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dissonant overtones when mute rail is engaged
by MattH22 - 08/11/22 08:36 PM
Your piano teacher
by Dscally - 08/11/22 07:25 PM
To RD-2000 owners
by PianoStartsAt33 - 08/11/22 07:18 PM
Buying a Yamaha U1?
by ada d. - 08/11/22 05:31 PM
What does a bouncy key action mean?
by Raquel Cruz - 08/11/22 04:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,349
Posts3,215,587
Members106,065
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission