2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
I would like to learn the chords (block and arpeggio) and inversions, and after almost 2 days of playing piano find to my dismay that I am still a beginner :-). I am working on getting lessons with a teacher, but don't mind putting some independent effort into what seems essential to learn initially. (I am most interested in improvisational music.)

I have started by beginning to find the triads and systematically going through the inversions, with each hand, but I am unsure of some of the fingering.

I would like to just DO this, i.e. run through the triads with inversions (and eventually the seventh chords) as an exercise with fluency, though I see some value in carefully building each of the triads for myself. On the other hand, looking for all the triads and their inversions, for all the keys, is a pretty big elephant to chew for me right now, and some sort of guide or map would be very helpful.

Is there a link or a site with the fingerings for all the scales and arpeggios in one place? I did search here for "argpeggio fingerings" and "fingering arpeggio inversion" and didn't quite find what I am imagining to exist.

Or can someone recommend a book that includes such exercises, and possibly natural extensions, like ii-V-I practice and the such? I'm not looking so much for a 400 page book with every possible chord variation with every possible mode and exotic scale, but instead imagine a book that gives some context to the chords and their fingerings, maybe with some exercises in progressions and the musical use of the chords in blues and jazz forms, that a beginner would find helpful.

Thanks.

I believe in cause and effect; I just can't always tell them apart
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I've always liked

Know your Scales and Arpeggios (with cadences) by Ada Richter. It's $7.95 and should be in any music store. Alternatively, if you google "ada richter scales" you'll get a bunch of websites where you can buy it online (including sheetmusic plus, a sponsor here).

It goes through all the major and minor scales, arpeggios and standard chord progressions, with fingering for each--and fingering for more than one octave. This is important, since many scale books only show fingering for 8 notes and leave you hanging with unworkable fingering should you want to continue.

I first went through it in about 9th grade or so, and it was easily one of the most useful "theory" books I've ever used.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Oh, P.S.--the arpeggios are just your standard I chord arpeggios, but you can arpeggiate (? smile ) any chord.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by dough-re-mi:

Is there a link or a site with the fingerings for all the scales and arpeggios in one place? I did search here for "argpeggio fingerings" and "fingering arpeggio inversion" and didn't quite find what I am imagining to exist.
Hanon contains all of the major and minor scales and arpeggios, with fingering.

It's in the public domain, so you can download it free here:

Hanon: The Virtuoso Pianist

Parts 1, 2, and 3 contain the complete 60 exercises.

Since scales are fundamental, I would definitely recommend you learn scales before arpeggios and chords.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
D
OP Offline
D
Thank you.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
For scales, modes, maj/min/dim chords and their inversions, I like Gary Marks\'s method. Within a few weeks, you'll know all of the major scales. A few more weeks will give you fluency in the above-mentioned chord and inversions as well as the modes. This is all covered in Marks's first book.

I'm still in the first book, but the second book covers, among other things, 6ths, 7ths, arpeggios, and pentatonic and blues scales.

markb--The Count of Casio
D
OP Offline
D
Very cool.

My first impression was that Gary Marks's books were pricey...

But he has a PDF file of part of the first book, which I am about halfway through with, and you can tell he really has something to say about learning piano that is worth hearing.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
They are more expensive than many of the single adult method books. However, as complete methods go, it's not expensive. For example, The Pop Piano Book, a highly-respected book by Mark Harrison, is $40.

It really depends what you're looking to accomplish. Realistically, whether you're learning from books or from a teacher, you'll probably have to try different ones before finding the best one for you.

markb--The Count of Casio

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission