2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,167 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 26 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 25 26
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Jeff,

That's great news to hear!

And isn't it a wonderful feeling?

I've been wondering where you and SK have been the past week or two.

You are both really missed, when you don't post regularly.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Mel, what a nice thing to say (thanks).

Dean, great way to look at learning something difficult on the piano. (Momentum swings in your favor & the battle is downhill once you're able to play something from beginning to end...it is a significant milestone, for sure.) I will probably quote you on that someday.

Piano*Dad, I would like to send something to you to give to Piano*Son. I ordered Maurice Hinson's "Guide to the Pianist Repertoire" (Third Edition) several months ago. It really wasn't what I thought it would be, and is only taking up space on my bookshelves. I've watched your videos of Piano*Son's performance, and have appreciated his recordings here. I suspect he will be able to get some use from this book (?).

In my earlier post from my office this morning, I forgot to mention how helpful the fingering suggestions were for me. Thanks!

Also, for anyone still working on this: don't give up if you really want to learn to play this. It is very do-able.

Jeff
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Mel, thanks for noticing my absence! smile I've been lurking a lot this week, but I won't stay away for too long! smile

Jeff, glad to hear you're making progress with this! I have to admit that I have put this piece away for a while, but only a while. I had too many things on my practice menu, and wanted to make the whole menu a little more efficient. However, I have a very good track record for coming back to pieces that I've put away (let me brag just a little!) so I am sure I'll be coming back to the rhapsody soon, though perhaps not until after Christmas, it depends on whether I decide to have a Christmas concert or not.

Maybe I'll start a "catching up" topic... stay tuned. smile

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
L
Well, I am still working on it, but only a little at a time. My teacher sincerely dislikes the piece and does not want to listen to it at lessons. She is willing to help me with small sections and technical questions. Mostly I am concentrating on a bunch of other music that is very hard for me and taking a lot of time, so I suspect that CR will be a long-term project.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Jeff,

What a kind offer! I don't know the book, but it looks like a good reference.

Best,

David

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
David,

I think it would be a good reference for a serious pianist. If he finds he doesn't want it, perhaps he or you would know someone who would.

(PM me with a mailing address and I'll ship it out next week...I can send it c/o the university if you prefer)

Jeff
[Linked Image]
Laura,

That sounds pretty tough that your teacher dislikes the song enough to not want to help you learn it. When I took lessons I always liked to have a pile of music that I learned on my own. I guess you can think of it as a valuable self learning experience. Although, you are more than welcome to ask your questions here. You might bring up some points that nobody else has thought of yet.

ShiroKuro,

I look forward to your return to the Croatian Rhapsody. After all, you are our fearless leader who exposed us to the music in the first place.

Have a good weekend everybody.

Dean
Laura,

What's your teacher's beef? Is it pedagogical or just taste?

Cheers,

David

L
L
Partly both, I think. When I first had her listen to a recording, she was interested for the first 30 seconds or so, but then I think she thought it was too patterned and repetitive to go on and on. She concentrates on classical music, so there is some feeling there. I don't really think she would mind it if it were easy for me to pick up and play in a week or two, but she thinks if I am going to spend a lot of time on a piece, it should be something more serious (I'm not quite sure if serious is the word I should use there, but something like that). I have to say I mostly agree, so I am not too bothered, and I will just learn it bit by bit on my own.

OK, I share some of her views. It is very patterned, as is much pop/rock/blues etc. That's one reason why it is more accessible to the average player than Chopin scherzos or Rachmaninoff preludes. On the other hand, if the piece is fun for you it can teach some useful stuff. The rhythm requires some really good two-hand coordination.

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
I have been working on the CR fairly regularly lately (10-20 minutes day).

I am still thrilled with being able to play it from beginning to end. Even so, I find my playing to be quite uneven throughout the 5 pages...some sections I can whiz right through and others slow me down (i know, practice the sections that slow me down). There are some transitions between sections where my playing is a bit unreliable, and I'm working on this as well.

At this point, if I had to choose a metronome setting where I would feel confident about my playing from beginning to end, it would be around 55. This setting is just too frustratingly slow for some sections (tries my patience)...so I will be glad when I've got the whole piece up to 60-70.

Anyone else still plugging along with this, or am I the last?

Jeff
[Linked Image]
L
L
I think I am pretty much out for now. I am working on the Beethoven sonata Op 49 No 2 and the Brahms Waltz in Ab and I LOVE them both. Especially the Beethoven. Every little section is so beautiful. For variety I am working on Maple Leaf Rag, which is much easier than it was when I worked on it a year ago, I am happy to say. I got CR where I could stagger through most of it. I will come back and work on it some more when it is technically easier for me so it does not require so much of my time. I have this great desire to please my teacher. smile And it is not good to show up to lessons with little progress on my other pieces.

Hi all - I am new to the forum - found it while researching pianos - and am finding many new pieces that I'm eager to learn - so I'm perhaps a little late to participate in this thread. Both my daughter and I would love to learn this - she will pick it up much more quickly than I will - for me it will take time. So the question is - if we wanted to learn the Kanemasu version - is there a way to find the music now since I see that music was ordered and delivered long ago? Otherwise - we'll try the Burrows version. The encouraging atmosphere is inspiring.
regards,
Caroline

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Hi Caroline,

Welcome to the ABF, I'm glad you found us. You might be in luck since I'm fairly certain I ordered one extra magazine. Please give me a day or so to locate the extra copy.

As far as I know, the Kanemasu version cannot be ordered in the U.S. or Canada. It is copyrighted by Universal Music Publishing Ltd, with print rights controlled by K.K. Music Sales in Japan. It was printed in a magazine published in Japan called "Piano Life" www.ymm.co.jp/pianolife/ (volume 4). The entire magazine is in Japanese (as well as the website I just gave you), so I cannot tell you any more than that.

If you are interested in my extra copy of the magazine, just send me a private message.

This piece has been a challenge to learn, but it's also been an incredible pleasure.

Jeff
[Linked Image]
I have a file of the K version as well as the B version. I could send it to you.

P.S. Jeff, that book has a wealth of information. I had fun looking up all the "difficulty ratings" for common pieces. laugh

Thank you both - I've been working on the B version and enjoying it immensely - I think getting it up to speed will take some time. I would appreciate the file version - might be quicker than the mail. Got to learn some new pieces in honor of a new piano.
thanks,
Caroline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
I'm not in the study group, but I'll welcome you to the forum anyway, Mistaya! Hmm... a new piano? What kind? If you're already making your way through Croatian Rhapsody, you're obviously not a brand new beginner. laugh What's your piano background and what kind of music do you like to play?

p.s. to Opus45: I found your earlier statement to the effect that anybody who wants to play this piece should keep slogging away because it's do-able to be very inspirational. Maybe after I get my recital piece polished I will confront my fears and work on CR, however slowly and not so surely. wink

Hi Monica,
I learned so much from reading about your piano purchasing odyssey - and from others on the forum. I'm waiting for an Estonia to arrive - my brother posted on the piano forum since he bought one as well. I'm not a beginner, but I have a very checkered musical past so I'm assuming I have huge gaps in technique etc. I started with accordian when I was a child and switched to piano in my teens - I've only played off and on since then because school, work and then children took up a lot of time. I tried playing piano for church for a year a while back - just every other week - but I could never get over the nerves - it wasn't difficult musically, but my brain would shut down and my hands would shake - it got to where I couldn't sleep the week before I had to play. I gave up after a year. The last few years I've been accompanying my son's violin pieces so at least my sight reading improved. I'm quite excited about this forum - there is much I can learn here. I'm most interested in classical music and I would like to take some lessons again.
regards,
Caroline

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Mistaya
I started with accordian when I was a child and switched to piano in my teens
Monica will be amused to read this. Now there are at least two ABF members who also play the accordian. I also have something in common with you...a checkered piano past along with the huge gaps in technique/theory. This is a great place to help you fill in those gaps.

Congratulations on your new Estonia Caroline!

[Monica, we're here for you whenever you want to start playing the CR]

[Piano*Dad, glad someone will be getting some good use from the reference book]

Jeff
[Linked Image]
Mistaya,
Welcome to the forums and welcome to the addiction otherwise known as Croatian Rhapsody. It really is a fun song to play, once you get it under your fingers. I also feel your pain when it comes to performing for others. I too get shaky nerves and even tunnel vision when I sit down to play for an audience. I much prefer sharing my recordings...

Jeff,
Nice to see you back. You were quiet for a week or two. Also, kudos for single-handedly wearing Monica down all these months to a point where she almost committed herself to giving the CR a chance. OT: Did you ever order that copy of Last Date?

Monica,
Ha, ha, Jeff is wearing you down... Seriously, though, you should consider the statements of Piano*Dad in this thread, too. This music truly is accessible to many players. You just have to look past the daunting score and perception of excessive speed. I promise it is not as challenging as you think once you get beyond the surface. You can do it!

Dean
Page 20 of 26 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 25 26

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission