2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Barry_Braksick, Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, 8 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wow--this is a cool forum. I've never really looked at it before because I assumed it was only for beginners. I came back to the piano about 7 years ago after a 25-year hiatus (quit when I was 15), bought myself a beautiful rebuilt Heintzman upright and started lessons again, became great pals with my teacher (who got me interested in technology, though he is not a tech), stopped two years later when I had my 3rd kid, but now that I'm learning to be a technician (three years after that) I am playing more again. Am loving that Comptine piece I learned about on the Piano forum. Monica, it's funny you mention "Linus and Lucy" because I was watching one of the Charlie Brown Christmas shows with my kids the other night and thought to myself, I have to find and play that music right away! I gather it's not available for free but there's a good music store here that I can call and they'll mail me anything. Gonna do it tomorrow!

Anne

Anne Francis
Piano Tuner-Technician

Check out my blog! www.annefrancis.ca/blog

1906 Heintzman upright (rebuilt)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I post here every now and then if there is a topic I feel I can add to or benefit from. I am not a beginner, but am not a great concert pianist, either. I will admit I feel more comfortable in the Pianist Corner, but it does get intimidating over there. I like it here - it's comfy, and the name suits it.

That's right...I have the same birthday as Mozart. If only it meant something and I could have one thousandth of his genius...in my dreams, i suppose.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
LW: I couldn't have said this better myself.

Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This forum borders the mundane and the sublime, for me time spent here is an education in and of itself...and a continuing source of inspiration and fellowship.

[Linked Image]
While I teach piano, I'm also a student of it (aren't we all...). My experience was like so many others: lessons early on, long gap, returning seriously as an adult. I love this forum and have learned so much from all of you. I haven't posted much -- mostly lurked, but this year I've joined the MOYD and look forward to being more actively involved. What a great group! Thanks!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
www.cameronparkpiano.com
Full-Time Private Piano Instructor
O
O
Has anyone ever pondered the punctuation of the Adult Beginners Forum?

Adult Beginner's Forum suggests there is only one adult beginner here, which would be a bit lonely for them!

Adult Beginners' Forum is better as there are lots of us that make up this great community.

Adult Beginners Forum would suggest no ownership and that it is simply a forum of adult beginners and would also be correct as far as I can tell.

And some people say I'm unobservant! :rolleyes:

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
LOL! Yes, I have been bothered by the punctuation problem too. Maybe we should send Frank a copy of "Eats shoots and leaves." laugh

I like the no-apostrophe option the best of the 3.

O
O
So do I. Of course that would mean making changes to the Piano Teachers Forum and Composers Lounge.

Hmm, I'm not sure if no punctuation actually reads correctly or not. I do prefer it to an apostrophe on the end of the word though, it just looks neater.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
Maybe we should send Frank a copy of "Eats shoots and leaves."
For a very amusing review of that book, see
www.newyorker.com/critics/content/articles/040628crbo_books1

I learned the piano when I was 13.
Stopped playing progressively when I was 15.
Currently 21, taking a piano class at school, getting a Clavinova in April
and am now ready to progress as much as I can.

I definitely belong here. haha.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think this forum is great. I'm starting up again after a 30 year break and it's nice to find a place where there are others in the same boat. I've been reading an alternative venue until recently that seems to be full of teenagers that can play just about anything and, well, I just didn't feel comfortable there... There seems be be a huge range of levels here and I think that's good because it means we can help eachother; if it was really just for absolute beginners I don't think it would have got off the ground...

I usually bounce back and forth on the foum. If I see a thread that interests me, I reply. I do find that most on the ABF know each other very well. You also seem to IM each other on the forum because replys are instant, at least it seems that way. Do you all get on line at the same time and respond back and forth? Sometimes I feel like an outsider here because of your closeness. I do enjoy the forum and I am an Adult, not so much the beginner but find the discussion interesting.

Monica: How does one join a study group?

Best Regards,
Nick

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I've been scanning this thread for a while so I thought I'd chip in with my two cents' worth. I am a beginner - I started playing piano for the first time last year and I'm still firmly stuck in elementary territory. But I think it's invaluable for those of us who are literally beginners to have more experienced players on this forum. There's so much help, support and advice here that wouldn't be here if we were all at the same level and struggling with the same issues. So I say, keep the name (with or without added punctuation) and keep all the members. Yes, it can be disconcerting to see that others are working on Rachmaninov and Chopin, but what that says to me isn't, they shouldn't be here. What it says to me is, I can get there, if I stick with it and work hard enough.

Vogel, as another newcomer I also sometimes feel like a bit of an outsider. But there's so much friendliness along with that closeness that I've never felt it excludes me from jumping in if I have something to contribute (though usually, of course, I don't). I've been on some listserves connected with my other interests that drove me away because they were actively hostile to posts from people who weren't part of the inner circle. So, I like this forum just the way it is. Long may it thrive!'

Donna

I can understand the outsider feeling, as you read the posts it seems like everyone is in a big room somewhere and you are looking in. In reality, everyone is sitting by themselves in front of their machines just like you and I. I have few posts, but I jump in when I think I have something to say and sometimes when I have nothing to say (e.g. "The One"thread. I believe Nick and Donna, that no one on these forums would consider anyone an outsider. I have been on here only a few months, and have found everyone to be wonderful and helpful....how could they (and you) not be...afer all....we love piano...gotta be great people... smile

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
afer all....we love piano...gotta be great people...
Hear, hear!

Hi Larry,
Yes, I agree...everyone is very friendly and welcoming. Perhaps I should not have used the term Outsider. I agree that it seems like everyone is in a large room somewhere having a discussion. I guess the longer one stays with the forum, the more involved we become with each member. I have corresponded via e-mail with a few members who have been very helpful. In fact, we have become e-friends, a great feeling. Monica is wonderful and very helpful! I am addicted to the place and find myself gravitating to the computer several times a day to see what's goin on.

Best Regards,
Nick

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I agree with everyone. I learned more about the piano in these chat rooms than reading books. I started to learn piano for self enjoyment. The sound from the acoustic instruments keeps me motivated...

...The ultimate joy in music is the joy of playing the piano...
Hi! I had a doubt an how to play a piece but I wanted to check everything to see if I am posting in the right section.
I am 18 years old and I have been playing piano for three months.
I AM a begginer of course, but I was wondering if it was ok to post my doubt here.
I don't want to disturb any of you so that's why I'm asking.
Love,
Lau

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Hi Lau,

You should definitely post your question here. I'm probably too much of a beginner myself to be able to help you, but I'm sure someone will have an answer for you. Welcome to the forum - I'm looking forward to seeing your question.

Donna

Welcome Lau.......POST AWAY!!!!

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission