2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 4 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
In the past there has been some confusion from new members as to what kind of members post in this forum, and exactly who this forum is geared to. In an attempt to help alliviate some of that confusion, and after much discussion with several members, I came up with the following explanation. I hope it's helpful.

This forum is for beginning and advancing adult piano players. Most of the current forum members fit into one of the following categories:

* Adults who are just starting to play the piano.

* People who may no longer be beginners, but who started playing the piano as adults.

* People who played the piano in childhood and are coming back to it after a long absence.

* People who have played the piano since childhood and continue to play for their own enjoyment.

The above description is in no way meant to exclude anyone from posting here. All PW members are welcome to participate, and the Adult Beginner's Forum welcomes piano players of all interests and skill levels.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Let's not be to hard on younger players. They don't have a forum of their own.

I originally never planned on posting in this forum, but the whole study group thing appealed to me. So I'm not sure what to do.

[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
i don't know that 'adult' was a defining word. This forum just started as an alternative to the gifted and talented room (PC)... age never had anything to do with it.

i always wanted an amateur pianist's corner but am frankly comfortable anywhere.

sounds like this forum could split into beginner's and amateurs easily..

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by apple*:
i don't know that 'adult' was a defining word. This forum just started as an alternative to the gifted and talented room (PC)... age never had anything to do with it.

i always wanted an amateur pianist's corner but am frankly comfortable anywhere.

sounds like this forum could split into beginner's and amateurs easily..
Doesn't matter much one way or another, but my recollection is that age *did* have something to do with it. Not in any way pertaining to P.C., which I've always found interesting and nicely mixed for age and ability. But the discussion that resulted in this forum very specifically centered on the different needs of *adults* taking up piano as compared to those starting early. That age-related issue was the whole impetus for it. I've no doubt we could find the original discussion, but frankly it's not worth the bother to look. Why else would you imagine it was called "Adult Beginners Forum"? Because that's exactly the terms it was discussed in.

As to dividing, sure it could. But why should it?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Personally, I still like Adult Beginners Forum. Nearly all of us began, one way or another, as adults. That does not mean that those who have played since childhood should be banned. It merely identifies the majority of the participants as having started as an adult.

I like Shiro's description. thumb

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Sorry, I should have added that this post came out of a very long discussion which can be found here:

Beginners???

(edited to add the link)

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Chobussy:
I originally never planned on posting in this forum, but the whole study group thing appealed to me. So I'm not sure what to do.
Stay right where you are. You're got dual citizenship as it were.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I am making this thread sticky, and clarifying things.

If you are a PW member you have the ability to post in almost all of the forums, so I would advise people to take ShiroKuro's definition of who the AB forum is for as descriptive rather than prescriptive. If people who do not fit the profile of AB feel they have something to contribute to this forum, they should feel free to post here. I'm certainly not suggesting that ShiroKuro meant to exclude anyone, I'm just clarifying things.

After all people who are not in the piano business or buying pianos post in the Piano Forum, people who are not teachers post in the Teachers Forum, people who don't play the piano sometimes post in the Pianist Corner (it has never been a "gifted and talented" - just listen to the recordings of some of the most pompous posters and you'll see smile ), people who are not technicians can post in that forum, etc.

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Phlebas, thanks for the sticky and the important clarifying commenrts. smile

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i really feel that we should drop "Adult" and also not to make "Beginner" constraint only as the current forum name suggested, which is the reason that many people ask for clarification of this forum. why don't we make it clear by using a more inclusive name instead rather than trying to explain this name over and over to every new member coming to this forum???

let's rename it as "Beginner or Intermediate Pianist Forum".

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Maybe....but there are 10 year old children (many no doubt) playing the "intermediate" music I play. I still like the "Adult Beginner" title.

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
H
H
Doesn't this consistantly come up about every few months. It is so interesting how we are attempting to redefine what already is. Perhaps we should just accept what we have and welcome all folks who want to be with us. Happy

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
why not include 10 year old or teenagers to this forum? some teenager beginners complaint it before about not being an adult and yet a beginner and couldn't find a place to ask questions. at least, i remember it...

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
I think some of you folks are a little late to the party.

The discussion has already occured.

This thread is the result of that discussion.

Here's the purpose of this sticky thread:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
In the past there has been some confusion from new members as to what kind of members post in this forum, and exactly who this forum is geared to. In an attempt to help alliviate some of that confusion, and after much discussion with several members, I came up with the following explanation. I hope it's helpful.
I hope this helps.

Jeff
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by signa:
i really feel that we should drop "[b]Adult" and also not to make "Beginner" constraint [/b]
Well if you drop Adult and Beginner from the Adult Beginner Forum there wouldn't be much left.

I think the current name is perfect - absolutely perfect.

Maybe it would help if you thought of the title as descriptive of the behavior rather than of the participants ages.

The internet is jam packed with 'piano' forums where people spend a lot of time calling each other names bragging about who has the longest reach and who can play the fastest and who has the fanciest teacher. We don't get much of that here. I like it that way.

I think the 'Adult' suggests a level of maturity and the 'Beginner' indicates some humility, both are qualities that are rare in internet forums but well represented here.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sorry - double post

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sorry - double post

I agree with Copper.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
me too.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission