2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I am starting to learn this piece. The arranger notes that this piece is easy basically for a beginner. But I think it's more advance than that. What do you think?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
1st movement is easy (I'll probably put it at Grade 4/5 on the ABRSM grade scale to play it well -- Intermediate). Second movement is easy -- you just need lots of patience to step through it (it's long and slow and I personally find it boring). Third movement is harder (probably ABRSM Grade 6 to play well).

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
One of my favorite "music box" pieces. Always a crowd pleaser.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
are you talking about the original piece? it is so called a 'beginner piece', but it is not that easy for those who have only played piano for short time (say, 6 month - 1 year). i learned the 1st movement after about a year of playing, and found it was hard to even get through the 1st page. i eventually did complete the whole movement, but it took me a long time, and was never able to play it flawlessly. Mozart's music sometime causes some illusion of easiness, with much fewer notes shown on pages than Beethoven, Bach or any Romantic composers, while it actually is really difficult to play his music well because every note on the sheet counts.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
A former teacher described looking at Mozart's works as looking through gauze. The music "breathes" frequently because the rests in his compositions are all over the place, whereas Beethoven, Bach etc. scores, thick with notes and few rests are like trying to peer through heavy muslin.

When music is described to me in visual terms like that, it makes understanding the intent so much easier.

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. - Beverly Sills
P
P
I find playing simply what is written works well. Sometimes inexperienced players try to interpret too much with his music when none is needed. When I listen to the good recorded performances they sound simple and balanced. Also, Mozart was famous for improvising. So you want to add spontaneity and freshness to your playing which sometimes is difficult when over practicing his music. Think Effortless Flowing...

OP Offline
This is the piece I am talking about.

http://www.mfiles.co.uk/Scores/sonata-in-c.pdf

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
indeed, it is the original K545 1st mvt. it is usually called "sonata facile", although it is not a beginner's piece. so, if you have trouble playing it, it is not your fault!

I heard that piece recently on XM Pops, played extremely fast, and I thought to myself "Jeez, why the heck is he playing it so darn fast?"
Shame I didn't get who the pianist was.
My teacher says that Mitsuku Uchida is the foremost Mozart player of our day (in her opinion, of course) - wonder how fast he (or is it a she?) plays it?

I played it better at home.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Mitsuku Uchida is 'she', Japaness origin. i heard her playing K545 on radio once very fluently, which didn't sound too fast and seemed like the right tempo.

L
L
Lovely piece but I don't think it is beginner music. Intermediate perhaps. Good luck. It's worth every bit of effort you put into it.

_ _ ___________________________ _ _
"There are no shortcuts to anything worth doing." Beverly Sills
I'm a beginner and it sure doesn't look easy to me! I've been taking lessons for about 3 months (I did take 2 yrs of lessons 15 years ago) and it looks like it'll be years before I play it.

I've never passed the "beginner" level. I really want to at least get to an intermediate level. What's it take? 3 yrs? 5 yrs?

"Applaud friends, the comedy is over." --Ludwig van Beethoven on his deathbed.
August Förster 190 Artcase
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Mitsuku Uchida is 'she', Japaness origin
Mitsuko Uchida is a woman, and is Japanese.

I don't have any of her CDs yet, but I need to get some!
My classical CD collection is so tiny, but I do borrow from the library which saves me $$$$. laugh

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i read before that Mozart was commissioned to write a set of sonatas for beginners, including this one perhaps, but miscalculated the counterpoint used in the sonatas which he thought was simple and yet difficult to play for beginners. so, the commission was cancelled after the first few he completed.

i guess that for some of fast learners, to become an intermediate player will happen in 3-5 years, presumably with continuous playing/learning. so, just keep trying!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by HermanM:
My teacher says that Mitsuku Uchida is the foremost Mozart player of our day (in her opinion, of course) - wonder how fast he (or is it a she?) plays it?
Smart teacher!

OP Offline
I am sort of semi beginner and typically pick nice pieces that I love to listen to, mostly first pages of music like Nocturne op 9 2Scott Joplin Easy Winners, etc. I know I should have completed whole music but it does takes time. I figure this will get me going and not be too stressful. I also listen to CD's before playing so I know how to imitate at least.

Later on I might need to start see some teachers however I have learnt most of them thru sitting in daughter's YAMAHA lessons for the last 3-4 years but never had a private lesson.

Signa - I fully agree with all the comments you've made.

The most difficult aspects of the first movement is tempo and fluency and making the arpeggio parts (18-21,63-66) sound effortless - because that's what I'm having problems with! Even Bach's WTC fugues seem easier.

why was the mushroom invited to the party? because he was a FUN-GUY! :p
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
The most difficult aspects of the first movement is tempo and fluency and making the arpeggio parts (18-21,63-66) sound effortless
very true indeed. i actually learned the 1st movement twice in the past, and yet never reached the fluency. sad, isn't it?

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission